Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Airbag light first things to check?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
roblightbody

Post by roblightbody » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:38 am

Hi

I had the car out for a spin the other day for about 30 minutes and it was absolutely great. At the end of the drive, while driving up our hill here, the airbag light came on, and has stayed on since. Seems quite random? Suggestions of what to do/check first please?

I've got a c110 scan tool, but have never actually used it to figure out a fault...

Thanks

Rob
2007 Stratus Silver E86 Coupe with Amarone interior | 1990 Mini Cooper | 2017 Golf GTi

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:51 pm

You need to learn how to use the scan tool! You cannot reset the airbag light without it, it doesn't go out on its own when you fix any fault.

McSwerve

Post by McSwerve » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:30 am

Get up to speed with your code reader, and come back with the offending codes, then people will be in a better position to assist.

I’m currently chasing an airbag fault down. They’re a PITA, but often not a complicated fix.

roblightbody

Post by roblightbody » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:26 am

Ok, will do, thanks. Will figure it out this weekend!
2007 Stratus Silver E86 Coupe with Amarone interior | 1990 Mini Cooper | 2017 Golf GTi

roblightbody

Post by roblightbody » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:21 pm

Hello.

Once I figured out how to use the C110, I got it to tell me "93A8 Driver's airbag,stage 1".

I then cleared the code, the airbag light went out, and took it for a short drive it and stayed off.

Obviously now got the feeling that it could come back on at any moment... and presumably when it's on, none of the airbags would fire in an accident, and it won't pass an MOT? Is there anything I can try to provoke it to come back on?

This topic suggests the slip ring? viewtopic.php?t=114459

While this topic suggests a seat occupancy sensor - viewtopic.php?t=17016 - and also mentions that someone got it when they'd disconnected the battery...

Thanks.

roblightbody

Post by roblightbody » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:38 pm

I did some tests today....

If I clear the code and then drive in a straight line it stays off, but if I make a significant turn it comes straight back on again.

I'm surprised how often and quickly it happens, especially after it only occurred a few days after it had been in for a service ... Should make it easier for them to fix truth l though

roblightbody

Post by roblightbody » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:38 pm

I did some tests today....

If I clear the code and then drive in a straight line it stays off, but if I make a significant turn it comes straight back on again.

I'm surprised how often and quickly it happens, especially after it only occurred a few days after it had been in for a service ... Should make it easier for them to fix truth l though

DashingDaryl

Post by DashingDaryl » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:44 pm

It sounds like your clockspring is bad. I haven't had a BMW in a longtime, so it may be referred to as a slipring. A clockspring lets you turn your steering wheel without binding up the airbag and horn wires.

you can watch this video to get a better idea of what a clockspring is. As a disclaimer, I didn't watch the video myself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAJvbnxiiiM

roblightbody

Post by roblightbody » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:49 am

DashingDaryl wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:44 pm It sounds like your clockspring is bad. I haven't had a BMW in a longtime, so it may be referred to as a slipring. A clockspring lets you turn your steering wheel without binding up the airbag and horn wires.

you can watch this video to get a better idea of what a clockspring is. As a disclaimer, I didn't watch the video myself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAJvbnxiiiM
That's really useful thanks, makes sense and I understand.

colb

Post by colb » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:09 pm

Could well be dirty or worn connections inside the clockspring inside the steering wheel causing an intermittant break in communication with the steering wheel airbag hence the light comming on. If you go in to check the wiring be sure to disconnect the battery before starting to dismantle it otherwise you run the risk of firing the airbag and/or being met with the airbag light remaining on and setting further codes.
I would check the wiring is all clean and good connections, opening up the clockspring to clean the contact plate in there is doable but not for the feint hearted to tackle.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

roblightbody

Post by roblightbody » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:16 pm

Thanks. It's beyond me to tackle, but I will pass on my thoughts when I take it to the garage next week. Sounds like a very common fault on lots of cars as they age.

roblightbody

Post by roblightbody » Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:58 pm

So we started driving the car a lot more because the weather was better, with the light on for a couple of weeks, while we tried to find time to book it in to get fixed.

Then I wondered.. Maybe the increased use of the car might have improved things... So I reset the light once more and.... It's stayed off, for weeks now!

£0!

roblightbody

Post by roblightbody » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:27 pm

Nearly a year on, and the light has come on once again, and resetting the error has cleared it again (3 weeks with the light off so far). Very odd!