Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

MATE - Most Annoying Thing Ever ....

MR_TZer

Post by MR_TZer » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:35 pm

Hey Guys!

I would bet if the Most Annoying Thing Ever in these forums is not the small noises one listens and tries to understand...
But I know some people get OCD to try to find these issues and, most probably, mine isn't unique:

So, everytime I accelarate, I hear a small cricket-rotating noise coming from inside the dash (looks like it is behind the steering wheel). I step the gas and it starts and when I remove the foot, it slowly goes away.
Plus;
After driving for some time (10/15 mins) I feel a smell like when you put clothes on top of a home heater (cozy, but worrying?).
So, IDK if some of you might have had same experience and I couldn't find nothing related in other Threads so, help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

:fuelfire:

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:29 am

MR_TZer wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:35 pm Hey Guys!

I would bet if the Most Annoying Thing Ever in these forums is not the small noises one listens and tries to understand...
But I know some people get OCD to try to find these issues and, most probably, mine isn't unique:

So, everytime I accelarate, I hear a small cricket-rotating noise coming from inside the dash (looks like it is behind the steering wheel). I step the gas and it starts and when I remove the foot, it slowly goes away.
Plus;
After driving for some time (10/15 mins) I feel a smell like when you put clothes on top of a home heater (cozy, but worrying?).
So, IDK if some of you might have had same experience and I couldn't find nothing related in other Threads so, help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

:fuelfire:
I feel your pain - I'm also prone to being annoyed by these sorts of noises. Sorry, no idea about those issues though as I've never had them. Welcome to the forum though - hopefully someone else will have some ideas.
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

MR_TZer

Post by MR_TZer » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:32 am

Thanks Calrker63!
Nice ride, BTW!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:02 am

Mine has had a very similar thing for ever. Sounds like a faint whirring coming from somewhere behind the centre vents in the dash. Comes and goes for no apparent reason. I thought it was the heater fan motor/ bearings but it isn't.
Luckily my left hand side of the dash has started rattling now, so that drowns out the other noise! :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:41 pm

I've been accused of developing Munchausen syndrome when it comes to my cars (normally by the other half) when it comes to squeaks and rattles. The only real noise normally comes from the passenger seat... its like a whinging sound - 'its too hot in here!'... 'the music is too loud!'... 'don't press the sport button!'... 'this is a stupid car!' :|

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:09 pm

Zed Baron wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:41 pm 'this is a stupid car!' :|
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:48 pm

Zed Baron wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:41 pm I've been accused of developing Munchausen syndrome when it comes to my cars (normally by the other half) when it comes to squeaks and rattles. The only real noise normally comes from the passenger seat... its like a whinging sound - 'its too hot in here!'... 'the music is too loud!'... 'don't press the sport button!'... 'this is a stupid car!' :|
Don’t forget the classic: “This car is too low”

It starts before you even get in it!!

MR_TZer

Post by MR_TZer » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:10 pm

Do you feel the smell of a heater, also?

rdm05z4

Post by rdm05z4 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:58 pm

Yes, these little noises can be disconcerting for most of us. And it is very hard to track down a noise when driving. Thinking outside the box to help. Possible people could us a dyno and run the car while person pokes around to determine noise source?
2005 3.0i Manual, Sterling Gray Metallic Sport suspension, heated seats, top line Business Cd radio
2007 Nissan Maxima -Silver-Auto
2009 VW Wolfsburg Jetta-Black-6sp manual

MR_TZer

Post by MR_TZer » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:29 pm

Pondrew wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:02 am Mine has had a very similar thing for ever. Sounds like a faint whirring coming from somewhere behind the centre vents in the dash. Comes and goes for no apparent reason. I thought it was the heater fan motor/ bearings but it isn't.
Luckily my left hand side of the dash has started rattling now, so that drowns out the other noise! :thumbsup:
Do you feel the smell like a heater?

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:47 pm

Not sure if its the same noise as it was a while ago and as noises go they are difficult to pinpoint but years ago on our old 23i we had a whirring type noise that appeared while accelerating. The only thing I could find at the time was the coolant level was low. After topping up we never heard the noise again, not sure if that was the problem or not.
Could the noise be the water pump or related to the coolant system if you are getting a smell as well.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:26 pm

MR_TZer wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:29 pm Do you feel the smell like a heater?
No. I ruled out the fan motor by turning it off (technical, me) but the noise (intermittent) is still there. :?
I am sure mine is something related to the heating system/ controls just don't know what.

Not related to speed or acceleration with mine, though.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:15 pm

I thought it was going to be a thread about PVR tbh..... :evil:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:48 pm

john-e89 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:15 pm I thought it was going to be a thread about PVR tbh..... :evil:
Nah, that would have been titled MADE....!

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold