Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof not closing fully

Andrew312

Roof not closing fully

Post by Andrew312 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:20 pm

Hi,

Went for a wee run today, cold but dry so got the roof down, no problem and a quick blast up the coast.

Started to rain so pulled over to put roof up, went ok until very last bit of cycle with rear windscreen not lowering completely stopping about 1 inch from rear with pin showing.

Appears passenger side had lowered more than drivers at end of cycle and pin not fully engaging.

Got home wee bit damp and ran roof cycle several times and runs perfectly until very end when closing when passenger side of rear screen lowered slightly more than drivers side preventing pin from engaging with slot in rear panel.

Finally got it fully closed with little bit of pressure pushing on drivers side of rear screen as it came down at end of cycle keeping it level with passenger side.

Got to admit it’s been a while since had roof down due to weather in Scotland and never had any such issues before so perhaps just needs some lubricating…… hopefully!!

Anyone had similar problem?
Any solutions or suggestions?

As always any help appreciated.

Cheers

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Roof not closing fully

Post by Pondrew » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:37 pm

Sounds like a problem with one of your hydraulic rams to me. Either sticky, or a fluid leak.
Robbi_Z4 is the man to ask TBH.

Be careful. If it is lowering unevenly it will be trying to twist the rear shell, which could shatter the rear window, or worse, twist the alu shell. Both will be extremely expensive to sort.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Andrew312

Roof not closing fully

Post by Andrew312 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:03 pm

Pondrew thanks for the reply appreciated.

Will need to get it checked, appears bit strange as all is running level and smoothly until last couple of inches of rear screen closing when it goes out of level.

Would have thought if a ram was leaking and not 100% that whole cycle would be affected.

At least I have it closed and will get it checked asap.

Will update with progress once I have it looked at.

Cheers