Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Down to a choice of 3 tyres

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Popey

Post by Popey » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:36 pm

So I’m running standard 18” rims on the my Z4M. I’ve narrowed it down to 3 tyres:

MP Super Sports - highly regarded but old tech?

MP Sport 4s - Seem good value

Goodyear Eagle F1 super sport - good reviews and good value

Any thoughts on the above, will be replacing all 4.

My Vreds have cracked due to lack of use and… TBH tlc.

jenniferlouise

Post by jenniferlouise » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:55 pm

When I’ve asked a similar Q I was advised Contis. And I think there are some offers on the new 7s

I’m keen to get the Bridgestone RFTs off, but the car is doing v low mileage (currently SORN), I’ve lots of tread and I’ve other priorities to my slim budget (I’m a pensioner) so it’s on the list. Reviews of the Contis is favourable (and I always ran them on lease cars) and I’ve seen mixed stuff on Eagles.

I guess it’s a lot how you drive it and what suspension / rim you’re running too. I’ve considered a mid range too for the 3k miles I’m racking up each year 🤷🏻

I guess your best feedback will be from those that have recently made the change… it’s an expensive decision and wish you luck! We will be watching…

Special Kay

Post by Special Kay » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:20 pm

I think I'd go with the conti's. I've only ever had positive experiences with the conti's. A great choice :thumbsup:

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:21 pm

F1 Supersport is the Goodyear equivalent of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (no S) is the equivalent of the Goodyear Asymmetric 5.

However the Michelin PS5 is out now, as is the ContiSportContact 7, and Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 6…and I’d be perfectly happy with any of those 3.

Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

beanie

Post by beanie » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:21 am

The new Conti UUHP (SC7?) is supposed to be the current king and if you can get the right sizes, they’re probably the ones to go for.

Of the others, the Goodyear F1SS is supposedly a bit sharper and stiffer than the MPS4S and is arguably a better choice for the dry weather, sportier driver (I run these and am very happy/impressed with them). The Michelin, as always, is a great tyre but a common complaint is the softer sidewall compared to some others in the class. However, that might be a good thing depending on your point of view.

I wouldn’t bother with MPSS. They’re probably just as good as the others in warm, dry conditions but as they’re an old model (are they still making them?) I’d be concerned that you’d end up with some old stock that are already a few years old.

If you’ve got time to kill then I’d recommend looking at the ‘tyre reviews’ YouTube channel-loads of good info and tests on there.
RUBYIMOLACARBON

Popey

Post by Popey » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:07 am

No Conti SC7 to fit the M with standard 18” rims.

Looks like EF1SS or 4S’s…

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:20 am

as mentioned above, PS5's are out now, I have them on my 480bhp RWD 140i and they actually put the power down. It had pilot super sports on before and the grip quite noticeably worse.
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

plenty

Post by plenty » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:01 am

The PS4S is not available in the E85/6 sizes. The PS4 and PS5 are, as well as Goodyear AS5, AS6 and Supersport.

And unless you like to drive *very* hard it is unlikely you will notice the difference between any of these on a Z4M.

coldel

Post by coldel » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:56 am

To be honest, all UHP you are talking about have marginal differences in performance, I would just go for the ones with the best deal on. In tests remember they are testing them on or just below 100% whereas you will most of the time be driving at 7/10th's, if that.

I saw a great deal on MPS4's (got all four fitted for £440 on my Z4C) and havent crashed into a ditch or anything yet!
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:21 am

coldel wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:56 am To be honest, all UHP you are talking about have marginal differences in performance, I would just go for the ones with the best deal on. In tests remember they are testing them on or just below 100% whereas you will most of the time be driving at 7/10th's, if that.

I saw a great deal on MPS4's (got all four fitted for £440 on my Z4C) and havent crashed into a ditch or anything yet!
This is very true, its easy to get hung up on the latest tests when truth is any of the top 10 UHP tyres are pretty equal on the road, doing regular trackdays with them then thats a different matter and you are almost certainly looking for the best performing tyre :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

plenty

Post by plenty » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:09 pm

I realised around 6-7 years ago that tyre technology has got to the point where any branded UHP tyre's grip in the dry will outweigh your ability to use it on the road.

I've driven PS4, PS4S, Goodyear Asymmetric and Goodyear Supersports at nine to 10/10ths on dry private roads in 400+bhp cars (when conditions allowed and not in the UK) and I can attest they all offer more than adequate performance.

Of course, tyre makers need to sell tyres and reviewers need readers so they'll continue to extol the virtues of new products, but as far as I'm concerned we're well into diminishing returns. I think where there may possibly be some meaningful variation is performance in the wet and in colder temperatures, but I only ever drive hard in warmer dry climes so can't offer any feedback on that.

The other variation as mentioned above is sidewall stiffness - the Pilot Super Sport (and trackday semi-slicks) have much stiffer sidewalls than any of the other models mentioned, which some people prefer

coldel

Post by coldel » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:04 pm

It also doesnt help when you get said tyre reviewers who have no idea on how to present data.

Like this video where all their charts excerbate the differences in performance...because they do not start the scale at zero. Yes they have the numbers, but the sole point of bar charts is to show a visual of the data comparatively, which by chopping off most of the scale, doesnt accurately represent

[youtube]https://youtu.be/t10y-87oiD4?t=1000[/youtube]
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z