Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I am a complete muppet

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
buzyg
Legend
Legend

I am a complete muppet

Post by buzyg » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:42 pm

:roll: Yup your a Muppet. :thumbsup:

I think there is an ANPR camera on the Tamar bridge crossing. So down here they could be on to you. :wink: But as those things are all over the place, maybe they don't yet have that one on the automatic list. I guess, as it invalidates your insurance, the government don't feel they need to invest money to chase you. :)

pvr
Legend
Legend

I am a complete muppet

Post by pvr » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:46 pm

MOT status doesn’t actually invalidate insurance. A lot of cars are sorned and only brought back on the road when going to the MOT station.

The car has to be roadworthy, that is not the same as having an MOT
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

I am a complete muppet

Post by MikeyH » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:04 pm

I wonder how many cars are on the road without mots and the owners don’t realise :cry:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

I am a complete muppet

Post by Scubaregs » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:05 pm

pvr wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:46 pm MOT status doesn’t actually invalidate insurance. A lot of cars are sorned and only brought back on the road when going to the MOT station.

Depends on the insurer, but most will invalidate without MOT.

"Is my car insurance still valid if my MOT expires?
The short answer is that it depends on your policy. Most insurance providers include having a valid MOT certificate as a condition of your car insurance policy. So, in most cases your insurance will be invalidated if you drive without an MOT – and that means you’ll be breaking the law twice: firstly, by driving without a valid MOT and secondly, for driving without valid insurance. "
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

I am a complete muppet

Post by MikeyH » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:11 pm

A few years I had my Ford Transit moted at Halfords Newton Abbot, awful experience, felt I’d been ripped off big time. :cry: Upside, they always send me a reminder, even when I look on their site. Reminds me not to go there :rofl:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

pvr
Legend
Legend

I am a complete muppet

Post by pvr » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:12 pm

That would imply that if a car fails you cannot move it. So if you have a car failing an MOT at a council run MOT station it has to be towed from there as they can’t repair it from there.

I checked this one out as my Golf never has an MOT whilst stored and gets on the road to go to the MOT station before I can tax it.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

I am a complete muppet

Post by Scubaregs » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:19 pm

pvr wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:12 pm That would imply that if a car fails you cannot move it. So if you have a car failing an MOT at a council run MOT station it has to be towed from there as they can’t repair it from there.

I checked this one out as my Golf never has an MOT whilst stored and gets on the road to go to the MOT station before I can tax it.
Driving a vehicle that’s failed
You can take your vehicle away if:

your current MOT certificate is still valid
no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT
Otherwise, you’ll need to get it repaired before you can drive.

Image Image

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

I am a complete muppet

Post by Pondrew » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:08 pm

I would expect insurance companies to invalidate insurance with an expired MOT, as the car is not 'road legal'.
In the case of a third party claim, they may honour that, though (although they try to wriggle out of most things if they can, so who knows?)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

DevonPaul

I am a complete muppet

Post by DevonPaul » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:20 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:05 pm
pvr wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:46 pm MOT status doesn’t actually invalidate insurance. A lot of cars are sorned and only brought back on the road when going to the MOT station.

Depends on the insurer, but most will invalidate without MOT.
We have 3 cars with different insurers, all it says is "roadworthy". Probably because having a valid MOT does not in any way mean it is roadworthy, just that it wasn't a complete deathtrap at the time of the test.

Besides, an unmodified 1983 Toyota doesn't need an MOT :)
2006 Imola Z4MC (wife's shopping trolley)
1990 Toyota Carina (Started as a free family heirloom, now apparently a Classic)
2016 Toyota Avensis 1.6D (yup, the *really* slow one).
2011 TDM900
1997 VFR750 project. 95% complete. Only 30% left to do.

pvr
Legend
Legend

I am a complete muppet

Post by pvr » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:46 pm

Similar to the insurance is invalid when the car is SORNed, or when you have winter tyres and so on. Every day you see the scaremongering headlines that drivers will be fined for idling engines, wearing the wrong sunglasses and so on.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

I am a complete muppet

Post by Nanu » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:05 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:19 pm
pvr wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:12 pm That would imply that if a car fails you cannot move it. So if you have a car failing an MOT at a council run MOT station it has to be towed from there as they can’t repair it from there.

Driving a vehicle that’s failed
You can take your vehicle away if:

your current MOT certificate is still valid
no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT
Otherwise, you’ll need to get it repaired before you can drive.
I think you can legally drive a car without a valid MOT if your going to a prearranged test / re test, or to a pre arranged repair to fix the reasons why it failed if the reasons were not classed a dangerous, such as defective tyres.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

I am a complete muppet

Post by Scubaregs » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:37 pm

Nanu, yes, think you can.

Searching the web the info I found was MOST insurers will invalidate your insurance if you are driving around without an MOT.

Image Image

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

I am a complete muppet

Post by Pondrew » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:20 am

You can legally drive to a pre-booked MOT test in a car without an MOT. You can legally drive to wherever to have the car repaired if it fails. You can then legally drive to have it MOTed again once repaired to a pre-booked appointment.

This is done to prevent garages 'holding your car hostage' if your car fails. Also many MOT centres don't have repair facilities.

Insurance will cover you in the above scenarios, but not for any other. It should cover you for fire and theft irrespective though.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

I am a complete muppet

Post by TitanTim » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:12 am

A few years back I had 2 cars (separate insurance policies) insured with the same company. I only found out the one car wasn't insured when I went to tax it and said it had no insurance. Contacted the insurance company who admitted they had insured the one car twice so I'd been running around in other car for a few months uninsured :cry:

Tim.