Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Diagnostic tool. Creator C310+. Review

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ponchi101

Post by ponchi101 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:02 pm

C310+
In the box:
Scanner (with connector cable attached permanently)
Carrying pouch
Small manual
Mini CD
Mini USB cable
scannerfront.jpg
scannerfront.jpg (22.69 KiB) Viewed 3438 times
scannerpouch.jpg
scannerpouch.jpg (28.92 KiB) Viewed 3438 times
Scanner.
Looks well built and solid. It has NO protective coating or rubber case, so it might be a bit fragile, but then again, you are not expected to bang this thing against anything. The carrying pouch should provide enough protection when moving it.
Good that it comes with a MINI USB cable (not a micro), because a lot of people no longer have those. It is the interface for the software update. The connection felt solid and during updating moved not at all.
The MANUAL is super basic, and it shows the initial steps. But surely there is more to it. This is a tool to play a little with.
The Mini CD comes with PDF copies of the manual, and the update software. Upon inspection, you can tell the software is from 2013, which makes little difference as you can upgrade from the web. The www.szcreator.com site gives you both the UPDATE tool and the latest CODE (V12.0), so the mini CD is just redundant.
Downloading these two is easy, and all tools will run in W10 (sorry, iPeople). It looks certain that it will also run in several iterations of Windows, including mostly likely 7, 8 and the new 11. You will need a RAR extractor as the BIN file that runs the scanner comes in that file (RAR) from the web. 7ZIP should open it, and that comes standard with Windows.
Update is just install the CREATORC100 update program (it must be universal for all CREATOR tools) and then click UPDATE, find the extracted BIN file, and press SAVE. Total time for update was about 3/4 hour. The software is so light and easy to download it makes little sense to keep it in your computer; if there are updates, updating will be easy to do again.

Last, the scanner comes with no batteries as it is powered by the car's battery, through the connection. Good and bad, as then it is useless on a car with a dead battery, but if you have a dead battery, you should start there first.
Creatorupdate.jpg
Creatorupdate.jpg (55.88 KiB) Viewed 3438 times
2008 Z4 2.5 si Roadster (E85, manual European) and 2007 X3 M-trim 3.0 (American)
You play/like tennis? Visit us at www.talkabouttennis2.com and join us for discussions, contests and some fun :D

ponchi101

Post by ponchi101 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:04 pm

Working with it
The interface is very simple, so there is just a brief period of learning. Automatically or manually select your model, and then you can go through 3 submenus: Body, Chasis, Drive. Each one will lead you to sub menus where you can test components. After the machine detects codes, you go back and go to the CLEAR FAULT CODES menu and it will clear them all.
The system is also set for maintenance, so you can reset oil change intervals and the like.
As reported by Colb, the C310+ does have a DELETE TRANSPORT mode function, but then the message is that the module has not been developed. An odd issue as why put the function's label but not the function itself?
Transportmode.jpg
Transportmode.jpg (20.5 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
So, as far as what was in it for me, the C310+ underperformed because that was precisely what I needed to do. A HEATER/AC module says that the car is also in ECONOMY mode but resetting that function did not make the TRANSPORT MODE issue go away. I will send a second mail to CREATOR telling them to install the function but, in view that I already sent one a week ago (and Colb did too), the issue is either more problematic than we know or Creator's customer service dept is busy with other things.
Errorcode.jpg
Errorcode.jpg (20.33 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
2008 Z4 2.5 si Roadster (E85, manual European) and 2007 X3 M-trim 3.0 (American)
You play/like tennis? Visit us at www.talkabouttennis2.com and join us for discussions, contests and some fun :D

ponchi101

Post by ponchi101 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:06 pm

selection.jpg
selection.jpg (18.8 KiB) Viewed 3434 times
Summary.
In retrospect, I would have bought a different, more advanced tool, but that is simply because this one did not do what I wanted. The C310+ does A LOT OF THINGS, and it will pay for itself: you can register batteries, reset oil intervals and one thing that is good is that I was able to scan my entire car and it showed just two fault codes; it seems my car is in pretty good condition.
However, the one area where this thing is great is this: if you are in the market to buy an used car, and you are bent on one in the list of cars serviced, paying US$56 for this tool so you can plug it into any potential purchase is a minimal investment. It could translate into not buying a clunker that looks good but really is not in good shape, so the money down may save you a ton later.
It is a good tool, and, again, will certainly pay fot itself shortly. I only wish Creator would install the TRANSPORT MODE CLEAR function, which is what I needed. But if this is in your price range, and you need to do do some basic maintenance in your car, this tool will do.

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:02 pm

Thank you :thumbsup:
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:58 am

ive got this one too (among others) its a great little tool.did you ever hear back about adding in support for TRANSPORT MODE removal?
ive also used this thing a lot on my Z3.
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3
Powered by Severn Tuning

colb

Post by colb » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:00 am

Good write up @ponchi101 clear and consise, still not had a reply from them re the missing Transport Function but would agree its a handy tool to have and so portable for carrying in the car for use anywhere As to Transport Mode I did use BMW Scanner 1.4 software on the laptop to clear Transport Mode successfully and reset iit to Normal which restored the systems that had been disabled by it going into Transport Mode. Usual cause for this is a bad battery that the car detects and closes down systems to save enough power so it will start.
I went online and updated my Creator using their included software, mine was shipped with version 11.9, it updated to version 12.1 which added the Battery Icon to the main menu screen but alas no change to the missing Transport mode function.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Nathanio

Post by Nathanio » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:07 pm

I need to clear an airbag light - seems like a sensible way of doing it and leaving it in the car for those just in case moments

ponchi101

Post by ponchi101 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:53 pm

I have not received anything from Szcreator regarding the TRANSPORT MODE function, either as a personal mail or a note in their website. I even went to the extent that, seeing that tool C410 has a V12.1 software (the C310+ is a t V12.0), I uploaded the 410 software in the C310 and checked if it would have the function. The software runs well in the C310+, but the same issue with the T. MODE remains (the sole difference I can tell in software is cosmetics). I reverted the C310+ to the original V12.0 version after that.
Since I bought the tool via Amazon (USA) I wrote a review there (basically copying my summary here) and roasted them just a tiny bit, to see if they can be pressured. There were at least two people asking whether the tool can clear T. MODE and I made it a point to make it clear it doesn't. Since I can edit my review, I will give them a couple of extra days and then will add an edit to it saying they have not contacted me, if they don't. By now, we know that at least Colb and I have written to them about the same problem, so they should reply.
It is clear that the solution for transport mode is the Scanner 1.4, which is even cheaper than the Creator. I ordered mine and will see how it works in my X3, before bringing it down here. Seems to me that the sole issue there will be that it claims it will only run in XP, which is a minor issue; just find an old notebook, load XP and run it. Will post you.
txs guys.
Last edited by ponchi101 on Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ponchi101

Post by ponchi101 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:33 pm

Final input here. As Colb reported, the C310+ update to software 12.1 DOES NOT correct the transport mode issue. So, it is clear that the manufacturers will not include that function.
You need, at a minimum, Scanner 1.4.

ponchi101

Post by ponchi101 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:32 pm

Update. Schenzen updated the software for the C310+. Latest version is 12.02.
I can't tell what is different from 12.01, so I guess it was internal tweaking. And yes, still unable to clear transport mode. Time for another nasty review in Amazon.

colb

Post by colb » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:13 pm

I never had a reply from them either, BMW Scanner 1.4 resets Transport Mode ok so at least its to hand if I need it, have used it a couple of times on members cars to get them out of transport mode. Still a fan of the Creator 310+ as that got rid of an airbag light I had that all the other software failed to do, INPA and BMW Scanner 1.4.
Will update my Creator to 12.02 when I get a chance.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

ponchi101

Post by ponchi101 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:31 pm

Oh, sure. It is still a very good tool, and it does a lot. My "nasty review" on Amazon was simply editing my previous review and writing the same thing as here. For the money, still very good to have it.
I actually tested the new 12.02 software by setting my Z to Transport mode WITH Scanner 1.4, and then trying to erase it with C310+. After it did not, I flipped it back with V1.4.

chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:25 pm

I received my c310+ which had software v12.02 already on it. I believe as of today, thats the latest version.
Going through the menus I did find Transport Mode.
What is Transport and should I try to delete it????
IMG_8843.jpeg
IMG_8843.jpeg (220.42 KiB) Viewed 2253 times
E86 Z4 Coupe 2006 Silver

TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:42 pm

I think I need to get myself one :thumbsup:
White e89 Red leather interior (But that's the wife's and don't I know it :/ )
Montego Blue Coupe manual si sport 💙 (Faster than the above....much faster :)

ponchi101

Post by ponchi101 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:14 pm

chanlon1 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:25 pm I received my c310+ which had software v12.02 already on it. I believe as of today, thats the latest version.
Going through the menus I did find Transport Mode.
What is Transport and should I try to delete it????
Transport mode is the setting that BMW transports vehicles in; it disables a lot of functions to several units. When I started doing this research, it was because my A/C unit was not working. Colb here helped me get the info.
DO NOT delete transport mode; I don't know what that would do to the rest of the units. (although I think that with the Creator you cannot do it. It is something you simply set or reset.)
As far as I can check, indeed the latest software version is 12.02. That is the last one I checked.
And, if you set transport mode with your Creator, I am not sure if you can then reset to normal mode. It was the one thing that I was not completely pleased with the tool. I also have the BMW Scanner V1.4.0, and that can set them all up as you wish.