Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CHANGING FOG AND REVERSING LAMPS OF GB Z4 TO EU

JS1

Post by JS1 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:01 pm

I have 2005 Z4 3.0I GB version , I failed the EU MOT as the rear fog is on the right but should be on the left in EU. The reversing is on the left but that did not come up as a fail. How could I go about changing the position so that FOG is on the left and reversing is on the right?. I suspect the rear lamps (Brake, reverse, fog) come as a single unit so buying EU model would not resolve the issue as when the rear fog lamp button would be pressed the reversing light would come on and if the car was reversing the fog light would come on?

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:23 pm

A quick look at the WDS shows the same pins in the tail light connectors in use for both reverse and fog so swapping the unit would, as you suspect, get you a red reversing light. The wiring is different between LHD and RHD irritatingly on the pre-facelift, unlike the facelift cars which has twin reverse lights and the wiring runs to both sides.

If you don't mind cutting into the wiring, getting the loom to swap sides isn't impossible.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

JS1

Post by JS1 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:04 pm

@smorris_12 Thanks for the message, yeap I think its going to be a tricky one to fix! I think you confirmed my concerns. Thanks again.