Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Transmission 4-5 slip, but not in sport mode

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
PeterPeterZ

Post by PeterPeterZ » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:14 pm

2007 Z4si. When I nail the throttle, I will get a 4-5 slip and the orange wagon wheel fault light on the dash. I set myself up years ago with a Windows 8 laptop with INPA, so I'm able to see the fault which comes down to a Mechatronic rebuild, and I get that. I'll do it when I have the time.

But when I have sport mode selected on, I can drive like moonshine runner and never get the first slip. I've read plenty of posts stating that sport mode just changes the timing of the shifts and all that, but if it never slips in sport mode, I think there is something else going on rather than just shift timing. The rubber seals are probably hard as rock, but sport mode rocks. Does anyone know, like really know, why this is?

My apologies to our euro friends who may no know what a moonshine runner is. It's running from the police with a boot full of illegal corn whiskey.

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:57 pm

World it be right to say that you get the slip error at low revs and wide throttle openings? Whereas in sports mode you've got the revs up?

Wondering if it's a box oil pressure thing.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

PeterPeterZ

Post by PeterPeterZ » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:58 pm

I'm throttled for high power and torque, it slips going from 4-5, rpms jump and the fault appears. The question of interest is not what is causing the fault, but why does it not happen is sport mode? Yes I agree, the sport mode likely has higher revs.

axelleveau

Post by axelleveau » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:07 pm

PeterPeterZ wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:58 pm I'm throttled for high power and torque, it slips going from 4-5, rpms jump and the fault appears. The question of interest is not what is causing the fault, but why does it not happen is sport mode? Yes I agree, the sport mode likely has higher revs.
If it slips going FROM 4 to 5 instead of while ENGAGED in either gear then I'd say Sport mode probably helps by applying more pressure to the clutches (during the shift, I expect it is the same once in gear) and shift quicker not allowing the slip to get starting. This is a bit worrying overall still, either the oil pressure is always a bit low or some clutch pack is worn. Might be worth doing an oil change. Not familiar with the auto box, is there some sort of filter too?
Gone - Ford Ka MK2 Petrol - Black
Will hang around to carry materials/people and in emergency - Ford Fiesta MK7 1.0 Ecoboost - Black, white rally rims, white decals, remapped
Now - Z4 Coupe - Montego Blue: Here

PeterPeterZ

Post by PeterPeterZ » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:25 am

Yeah, it has a filter. It looks just like those chunk filters on the front of a window air conditioner. It just washes out in the sink. I can't believe people actually buy those things in a kit, and with an oil pan they don't need. I'm rambling. Thanks for the thoughts. Valves and seals will prob fix it.