Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Window catching on roof seal

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
poortomsacold

Post by poortomsacold » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:35 pm

Evening all

I have an annoying problem with my driver's door, in that the window catches the roof seal when opening the door, and when I close it the window sits outside the seal, unless I close the door by pressing on the top of the window or I push the window down a touch before closing the door.

I've tried resetting the windows via a couple of methods shown on this forum, but no joy. I've attached a photo that shows the front part of the roof seal sits lower than the back, and it's this part that the window catches on.

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this? Would I need to replace that part of the seal?

Thanks
20230130_181502.jpg
20230130_181502.jpg (156.83 KiB) Viewed 326 times
2003 3.0i Sterling Grey

BumpyZ4

Post by BumpyZ4 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:43 pm

Does the window drop slightly when you open the door?
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

poortomsacold

Post by poortomsacold » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:47 pm

BumpyZ4 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:43 pm Does the window drop slightly when you open the door?
Hi. Yes it drops a little, but not enough to go under the low seal sadly.
2003 3.0i Sterling Grey

BumpyZ4

Post by BumpyZ4 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:06 pm

The front portion of the seal doesn't look like it is installed correctly. You may be able to reseat it or depending on what's wrong with it you may need a new one.
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

poortomsacold

Post by poortomsacold » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:11 pm

BumpyZ4 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:06 pm The front portion of the seal doesn't look like it is installed correctly. You may be able to reseat it or depending on what's wrong with it you may need a new one.
Yes, I’ve tried pushing it into the roof but it doesn’t give, so I imagine a new part of the seal will be needed. No idea if it’s possible to just get that one part of the seal and how easy it would be to replace though.
2003 3.0i Sterling Grey

poortomsacold

Post by poortomsacold » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:39 pm

Just thought I'd update my post. I opened the roof a little, managed to get the front part of the roof seal out - it wasn't slotted in correctly - popped it back in and now all works as it should! Happy days!
2003 3.0i Sterling Grey

jenniferlouise

Post by jenniferlouise » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:41 pm

Who puts the roof ‘up’?? :rofl:

(only joking, I feel your pain, good luck with the fix)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:59 pm

poortomsacold wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:39 pm Just thought I'd update my post. I opened the roof a little, managed to get the front part of the roof seal out - it wasn't slotted in correctly - popped it back in and now all works as it should! Happy days!
Got to love an easy, free fix for something that initially looks expensive. :thumbsup:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

poortomsacold

Post by poortomsacold » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:04 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:59 pm
poortomsacold wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:39 pm Just thought I'd update my post. I opened the roof a little, managed to get the front part of the roof seal out - it wasn't slotted in correctly - popped it back in and now all works as it should! Happy days!
Got to love an easy, free fix for something that initially looks expensive. :thumbsup:
Very true! I was initially thinking window motor, so am relieved it was, on this occasion at least, a free and easy fix! Thanks to the guides and info on this forum, I have also managed to replace a headlight washer pump/jet at a total cost of £69 for the part from main dealers, the centre console lock actuator and another couple of easy fixes. I now have the job of attempting to replace some slightly bubbling panels - possibly not such an easy task, especially as I have not attempted to work on cars before (it was only ever guitars before the Z came into my life!!!).
2003 3.0i Sterling Grey

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:06 pm

poortomsacold wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:04 pm the centre console lock actuator and another couple of easy fixes. I now have the job of attempting to replace some slightly bubbling panels - possibly not such an easy task, especially as I have not attempted to work on cars before (it was only ever guitars before the Z came into my life!!!).
1. How much did a new centre console lock actuator cost?
2. Can always discuss fitting the panels here if you do want the ones I'm getting?

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

poortomsacold

Post by poortomsacold » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:11 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:06 pm
poortomsacold wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:04 pm the centre console lock actuator and another couple of easy fixes. I now have the job of attempting to replace some slightly bubbling panels - possibly not such an easy task, especially as I have not attempted to work on cars before (it was only ever guitars before the Z came into my life!!!).
2. Can always discuss fitting the panels here if you do want the ones I'm getting?
1. £17.50 for a second hand one on ebay that works a treat;
2. I've only just seen you are in Norfolk - I am in Gloucester, so am now hoping postage may be an option (although I'd have loved some help on fitting!).
2003 3.0i Sterling Grey

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:17 pm

poortomsacold wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:11 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:06 pm
2. I've only just seen you are in Norfolk - I am in Gloucester, so am now hoping postage may be an option (although I'd have loved some help on fitting!).
Postage costs we can look into. Sent a bumper before via courier so should be ok.

poortomsacold

Post by poortomsacold » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:24 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:17 pm
poortomsacold wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:11 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:06 pm 1. How much did a new centre console lock actuator cost?
Postage costs we can look into. Sent a bumper before via courier so should be ok.
That's great, thanks very much indeed. If you'd been a little closer I'd have popped over, but it looks like over three hours each way (and in that time I imagine the sticky steering might resurface - only had it once before when stuck in traffic for several hours, but do need to try the suggested adjustment that appears in this forum too).
2003 3.0i Sterling Grey