Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW Z4 e85 e86 Window Regulator Repair Kit

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Rossi1001

Post by Rossi1001 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:54 pm

Spent about 5 hours on this today and hands are red raw and I'm on the verge of giving up! :headbang:

Like you sparky, there just doesn't seem to be enough slack left in the wire to get the round spool in place. I've made sure the cable end crimps are installed correctly. I honestly don't know how others breezed through this!

Last thing I can think of tomorrow is really pushing those springs super tight and getting my dad to hold them tight. The little clip holder on the spring doesn't get it as tight as you have it there in the last picture.

Other than that I'm completely out of ideas, other than buying a whole new regulator. Found this after market one below that looks pretty reasonable (certainly against a new OEM one from BMW. Trust pilot scores are good, has anyone bought from here?

Thank you!

https://carwindowregs.co.uk/bmw-z4-e85- ... 2002-2008/
Z4 2.5i Auto (April 2003, Titan Silver & Red Leather)

tug

Post by tug » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:07 am

Yep, thats where i got mine from 3 years ago. Still working perfectly.
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE

dzefer

Post by dzefer » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:33 am

dzefer wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:17 am I had to cut about 3 cm from each end of the cable.
simply make knots approx. 3 cm at both ends, cut it and you are good to go. I did it like this, still works.
Z4 3.0si 2006

Rossi1001

Post by Rossi1001 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:04 pm

Rossi1001 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:54 pm Spent about 5 hours on this today and hands are red raw and I'm on the verge of giving up! :headbang:

Like you sparky, there just doesn't seem to be enough slack left in the wire to get the round spool in place. I've made sure the cable end crimps are installed correctly. I honestly don't know how others breezed through this!

Last thing I can think of tomorrow is really pushing those springs super tight and getting my dad to hold them tight. The little clip holder on the spring doesn't get it as tight as you have it there in the last picture.

Other than that I'm completely out of ideas, other than buying a whole new regulator. Found this after market one below that looks pretty reasonable (certainly against a new OEM one from BMW. Trust pilot scores are good, has anyone bought from here?

Thank you!

https://carwindowregs.co.uk/bmw-z4-e85- ... 2002-2008/
Finally fixed this today. In the end filing around 1.5mm off the fixed end of the white spring holder and cutting the spring on the same component a bit shorter gave just enough slack to wrap the cable around the spool. I'm convinced the cable kit was slightly the wrong length, though of course BMW won't sell you just the cable, they want you to buy the whole regulator.

Waiting 15 minutes after disconnecting the battery before removing the airbag seems to have been OK, no airbag warning lights so far.

An absolute pig of a job overall, I think I'd just buy one of those aftermarket £120 regulators next time!
Z4 2.5i Auto (April 2003, Titan Silver & Red Leather)