Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2004 no start, no crank. HELP!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
JackSlater

Post by JackSlater » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:01 am

I'm nearing the end of my rope with my 2004 Z4 2.5 automatic. The car won't start or crank, no codes via INPA or my Foxwell scanner. I've replaced the battery, starter, ignition switch and neutral safety switch. Fuses are all good. Key is being read successfully according to INPA, though the starter motor is being blocked due to P/N. When I go into INPA to look at transmission information, there are question marks under selector lever position, which is why I thought it was the neutral safety switch and replaced it to no avail. On the dash the current gear does not display in the box between the tach and speedo, which I also attributed to the P/N switch, but after replacing, the box is still blank. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time and consideration.

DMike

Post by DMike » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:21 am

Hi JackSlater and welcome to the forum! You described the problem really well and I think the key is that INPA won”t show the gear selector position. Under the car there is a gear position switch bolted to the gearbox - the gear lever is mechanical and this simple switch just reads the mechanical position. The switches can fail and, if you’re lucky, it’s just the connector.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:37 am

Agreed- that’s a common fail point
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:50 am

Welcome to the forum.
My wife's car sometimes get an intermittent issue with that switch when it's been out on wet roads. (Guess it'll eventually pack up).
I have found that trying to start the car in Neutral instead of Park can sometimes work.
Of course, it's not a fix, but may help prove your issue.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

JackSlater

Post by JackSlater » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:08 pm

Hey gang, sorry for the delay in replying and thanks for your input. I have replaced the gear selector switch that is bolted to the trans. as well as cleaned the connector, but still no luck. As I've replaced essentially everything involved in the car turning over, I'm thinking it may be an EWS module issue? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:16 pm

Sorry to hear it's still not right.
Just adding my input here from recent experience. Having replaced the DME the EWS allowed the engine to crank but the fuel pump didn't run and the car wouldn't fire up.
Not sure if that helps or not, but just pointing out that possibly the EWS would still let the car turn over at least.
Do you still have the same codes for P/N etc? That would seem to suggest it doesn't like the gear position.
Did you try starting it in neutral instead of park to see if that made any difference?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

JackSlater

Post by JackSlater » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:24 pm

I did try to start in neutral as well to no avail. none of the gear position show on the dash unless I move the stick left into manual mode, and then it displays. still have the same P/N error. Agreed, it definitely seems to think its in gear but not sure where else to go from here.

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:04 pm

No experience with Autos I am afraid but going back to basics have you double checked that all connections at battery are correct and fully tightened at starter motor. When you turn ignition have you checked whether power has reached starter. Could be a dodgy new starter perhaps.