Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bluetooth on car with Sat Nav

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Calps

Post by Calps » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:25 pm

Hi OP,

I've gone the CD Harness adapter route mentioned above.

I can confirm that the cars that did come with bluetooth prep are only able to use the connection for handling calls - media cannot be streamed over it. And the bluetooth setup for taking calls is a bit of a faff as well (there's an intricate sequence of button pressing in order to activate pairing mode - worth it in the end, but cumbersome)

I used a 3.5mm adapter for a while, and then went for the adapter that connects into the CD multichanger harness - Bluemusic is the brand/make. The consensus is that most (maybe all) cars come with this harness installed, regardless if CD multichanger was an option or not. There are a number of threads on here (and one very good install thread) on this topic. I can dig out the link if it's of interest.

There appear to be a few variants on the adapter itself:
- One which just handles media (This is what I bought: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/BlueMusic-Bl ... B0773MX7BG)
- One with a microphone to allow handling of calls (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254073161800 ... 6028096627)

The CD Changer harness is located behind the carpet in the boot, but some folks have also reported being able to connect it directly into the back of the head unit as well - I presume it depends on the type of harness, and perhaps if you want to position the mic in the cabin to to handle calls?

Overall, I'm very happy with it. Connects automatically, and allows for changing of tracks from the steering controls.
MelZ: Black Sapphire Z4C

tonyz4c

Post by tonyz4c » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:09 am

If you want to plug an intravee, you have to remove the oem iPod interface
You can only have one 'master' devise on the audio bus
So it's cd charger or iphone or intravee or any other adapter
:driving: Z4MC Carbonschwarz - Caramel
Database of M /3SI http://perso.numericable.fr/tonyz4c

.adam.

Post by .adam. » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:21 pm

I think I will go for one of these. I'm just wondering what makes the Grom worth £70 more than the Amazon/eBay modules? I can't get my car to recognise that it has the factory fit bluetooth for the phone, I've done everything except leaving the battery disconnected for 30 mins, which I am a bit dubious to do as I've read it can cause problem if a certain setting hasn't been turned off by the original dealer.
I see you are in Ireland, Calps, so I guess you didn't have to worry about import duties? Not sure if I would get stung by them from the Amazon or eBay listing, but assuming I would.

Calps

Post by Calps » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:35 pm

.adam. wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:21 pm I think I will go for one of these. I'm just wondering what makes the Grom worth £70 more than the Amazon/eBay modules? I can't get my car to recognise that it has the factory fit bluetooth for the phone, I've done everything except leaving the battery disconnected for 30 mins, which I am a bit dubious to do as I've read it can cause problem if a certain setting hasn't been turned off by the original dealer.
I see you are in Ireland, Calps, so I guess you didn't have to worry about import duties? Not sure if I would get stung by them from the Amazon or eBay listing, but assuming I would.
Yes, no duties paid for what I ordered, however based on the price of the item, I'm guessing you're looking at ~£8-£10 duty (v.rough guess - in any event, it shouldn't be a colossal cost).

Alternatively, this looks to be precisely what I ordered (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253153228002 ... BM1p652cFh) and is listed on ebay.co.uk, so it may be an "all-in" cost. Again, no guarantee it's duty inclusive, but should be easy for the seller to advise on.

Regarding the OEM bluetooth - (although you've said you've tried everything) for the avoidance of doubt have a read of this thread: viewtopic.php?t=99347&hilit=bluetooth

It covers:
- The (maddening) process for getting into pairing mode
- Highlighted a common problem with worn wires that might be stopping you from doing so
MelZ: Black Sapphire Z4C

.adam.

Post by .adam. » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:55 pm

Thanks for that, although I've never had a Telephone menu listed on the Nav screen. I know the car should have it installed, as it has the mic, and the button in the centre console, and it came from the factory with it according to the VIN.
To be honest, it's not something I'll miss, as I never make or take calls in my other car with phone connectivity, but it just annoys me that it isn't working!

.adam.

Post by .adam. » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:11 am

I've ordered the eBay one from Germany, worked out I should only have to pay VAT, and a handling charge, so around £20, so still works out way cheaper than the Grom. Something to look forward to fitting. I was wondering if I could get to the connectors by pulling out the storage bin behind the seat that would house the speaker if I had the upgraded audio. Might be easier that pulling out the carpet in the boot, so worth a look.

Neens76

Post by Neens76 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:45 pm

Sorry to hijack but I’m hoping to get this sorted once and for all. I have the standard head unit on my 04 e85 with Bluetooth prep and a CD changer. I won’t be able to stream media I understand, but if I work out how to get calls set up (sounds like it’s a pain but not beyond the wit of man), what Bluetooth connection to CD changer do I need?
Ideally one that I can get from Amazon or eBay without hassle?

Neens76

Post by Neens76 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:23 pm

Bump

.adam.

Post by .adam. » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:20 pm

If you've got the cd changer wiring, then I assume you should be able to use the one I've ordered as linked previously, as this plugs in to that. I think there is an equivalent that plugs in to the rear of the head unit as well, if you just have the standard, non nav.

Neens76

Post by Neens76 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:28 pm

Thanks Adam. Yeah like you I want to hook it to the CD Changer. I don’t have Nav, thankfully. When is yours expected to arrive?

.adam.

Post by .adam. » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:40 pm

It's in transit from Germany now, so hopefully next week some time. I'll report back the fees, if any, when I get it.

Neens76

Post by Neens76 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:18 pm

Thanks.

.adam.

Post by .adam. » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:27 pm

It arrived today, nothing extra to pay, which was nice. I might get a chance to fit it tomorrow, or if not Sunday hopefully.

Neens76

Post by Neens76 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:33 am

Mine yesterday. Work stopped play today so probably have a bash Wednesday now. Knowing me I’ll make a mea oh it !!

dtrandall

Post by dtrandall » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:03 am

i got a bluebus adapter. full oem integration. metadata on nav screen. telephony with built in oem microphone. soundsmuch much better than a bluetooth am transmitter.