Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fellow Coupe owners, help needed with alarm sensor cover (on roof ceiling inside)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ga41

Fellow Coupe owners, help needed with alarm sensor cover (on roof ceiling inside)

Post by ga41 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:38 am

Hi guys, about a year or two ago my roof lining started sagging a lot. Took it to a shop and had it replaced and all was good.

A few weeks later I noticed that the cover in the middle of the roof inside which apparently is for an alarm sensor was not as solidly secured as before, it was on but just a slight wobble to it. I did not pay much attention to it.

Well a couple of weeks ago it got loose as you can see:
4OY9YCSU.jpeg
4OY9YCSU.jpeg (81.85 KiB) Viewed 118 times
The red squares show where there used to be fastening clips and a bent one in that frame, also note that the frame itself is totally free moving, it's loose.. i dont know if that's how they're supposed to be or if it's the upholstery guy that messed it up...

I need some advise on how to go about fixing this. I tried to secure it with some double sided tape in various spots but as the frame is loose and most of the surface is roofliner cloth anyway it wont stick...

I cant find the part number for the upper frame in RealOEM for the E86 but with some searching with the part number printed on the lower cradle I think it's this one from the E46: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... 1448243666

Should I try to buy a new upper frame and somehow stick it on the roof (probably with some glue of some sort)? I'd probably need to tear the roof lining a bit to remove/replace it though... The lower cradle seems fine... Or does anyone have any other idea? Thanks! :thumbsup:
-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --