Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

PDC front and rear

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Christopher72

PDC front and rear

Post by Christopher72 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:07 am

Marcoose wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:33 am Chris, it’d be sweet to have a part list and how-to. Not for me, I don’t trust my hands with this level of work, but to share with professional installers. I may take the car to a local shop for the PDC and rear camera upgrades. Thanks.
All you have to do is get a nice Kentucky bourbon, grab some popcorn, binge on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q dave's channel for a few hours, and you're capable of anything. :popcorn:
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

Marcoose

PDC front and rear

Post by Marcoose » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:15 am

Oh. I hadn’t realised Dave had a PDC video. I’ll watch. But with something better: Irish whiskey. Naturally.

:poke:
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

AnubisZed

PDC front and rear

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:06 am

Guys as long as you're only drinking while watching, probably not a good idea to have a drink while doing the the work :rofl:

Glad you've found one :thumbsup: I'll happily offer my services to 'pop' over to Florida to pick your switch up for you and then deliver it to you for cost :rofl:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Christopher72

PDC front and rear

Post by Christopher72 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:58 am

I'll be heading through Florida on my way into the Caribbean in another 2 weeks, but I appreciate the offer!

I do have a parcel shipping from the UK via Royal Mail... Do they still use horses and actual ships? Perhaps you could go feed the team or oil the steamer? It seems to be taking a bit of time... :poke: :D
Christopher
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

Christopher72

PDC front and rear

Post by Christopher72 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:17 am

Now just need some warmer days....

Christopher

AnubisZed

PDC front and rear

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:29 am

Christopher72 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:17 am Now just need some warmer days....

Looking good :thumbsup:
I'm assuming the pigeon arrived from the UK then? :rofl:
Dave

Christopher72

PDC front and rear

Post by Christopher72 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:30 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:29 am I'm assuming the pigeon arrived from the UK then?
One can hope that "Item Leaving the UK" means it's headed to its destination rather than being chucked into the pond. What Royal Mail considers as tracking is a bit like an offhand "It should get there soon".

Everything else shipped DHL... In which I was told the pilot was moody and that it will arrive a day later. Very verbose. :lol:
Christopher

AnubisZed

PDC front and rear

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:09 am

Christopher72 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:30 pm
AnubisZed wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:29 am I'm assuming the pigeon arrived from the UK then?
One can hope that "Item Leaving the UK" means it's headed to its destination rather than being chucked into the pond. What Royal Mail considers as tracking is a bit like an offhand "It should get there soon".

Everything else shipped DHL... In which I was told the pilot was moody and that it will arrive a day later. Very verbose. :lol:
It's amazing, I can order stuff from the US, normally through eBay's own international shipping, and it'll give me updates every step of the way. Every single little stop the package makes, whether it's a toilet break or a doughnut stop (for the driver, not my package!!). It tells me when it's arrived at the international hub, when it's had it's international postage label attached, when it's on the plane (enjoying the in-flight entertainment and a cocktail) and then when it's arrived here in the UK and finally handed over to the "local courier", ie; Royal Mail. Then that's it until I get a knock on the door and it's arrived at mine. UK tracking with Royal Mail is utterly atrocious, it's a joke :thumbsdown:
Dave

Taxmania

PDC front and rear

Post by Taxmania » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:42 pm

Hi Dave
Great article and video on this subject.
I am looking into this as an upgrade project to work with the iDrive function and have seen all the messages in this thred and am trying to get "Switch unit - 61 31 9 146 642 - No Seat Heating and No Stop/Start" part second hand as the £300 for a new one seems exhorbitant! I have found one on eBay for £150 that has the stop start function that my car does not have, is it possible to use that switch unit and blank the button?
Also as I am not that hands on with these things, if I source all the parts is there anyone in the Essex (+75miles) area that you could recommend to do the install?
Thanks John
John
E89 35i Manual 2009 Deep Sea Blue, Black Leather
E89 2.3i Manual 2010 Sapphire Black, Black Leather

AnubisZed

PDC front and rear

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:55 pm

Taxmania wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:42 pm Hi Dave
Great article and video on this subject.
I am looking into this as an upgrade project to work with the iDrive function and have seen all the messages in this thred and am trying to get "Switch unit - 61 31 9 146 642 - No Seat Heating and No Stop/Start" part second hand as the £300 for a new one seems exhorbitant! I have found one on eBay for £150 that has the stop start function that my car does not have, is it possible to use that switch unit and blank the button?
Also as I am not that hands on with these things, if I source all the parts is there anyone in the Essex (+75miles) area that you could recommend to do the install?
Thanks John
Hi John,
Yeah that switch will work, the Stop/Start button just won't do anything. But if you're not in a rush then I'd just wait your time and keep searching.
As for fitting, this is quite a time consuming job to do, so getting someone to do this for you won't be cheap. I've had people ask me to do it for them and although I will I would always get them to do the majority of the labour intensive work first, otherwise it'll cost quite a bit as you're looking at a fair chunk of the day. Both bumpers and a few boot trim panels need yo come off plus the wiring running through.
Dave

Taxmania

PDC front and rear

Post by Taxmania » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:15 pm

Dave, thanks for that I will keep looking as you suggest but they seem to be quite rare.
I do appreciate that this is time consuming and my skills lie elsewhere. If I were to ask you to do the whole job labour wise what would that cost? My alternative is my regular garage who are actually likely to take more time and struggle with the iDrive integration and coding. If you want to DM me that’s fine and we can talk there.
Thanks for your help.
John
E89 35i Manual 2009 Deep Sea Blue, Black Leather
E89 2.3i Manual 2010 Sapphire Black, Black Leather

simnew

PDC front and rear

Post by simnew » Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:35 am

I am about to attempt this, so will start buying the parts very shortly. One thing I did notice when replacing the button on my centre console switch for closing tge roof, was that the ‘switch’ for the PDC appears to be there but there is a piece of plastic in the place of where the switch top should be. I can imagine cutting that away and fitting the new switch top. I wasn’t expecting tge pin outs on the bottom of the switch to be there but simply covered by the smooth piece of plastic on the top. (To disguise the lack of pdc) I wish I had taken a photo of it before putting it back in the car.

Christopher72

PDC front and rear

Post by Christopher72 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:35 am

I have all of the parts for my PDC retrofit. My time is still on backorder. 8)
Christopher

simnew

PDC front and rear

Post by simnew » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:11 pm

Haha. Well I suspect I will be in the same position.
It will be a proper summer job over a weekend I suspect and with a good weather forecast ( as I’m in the UK ).
Did you see my point about the centre console switch. I replaced my hood close switch top - as it had worn away, and I noted when looking at the switch that there appeared to be all the make and break switches for PDC as well. I would need to modify the existing switch by hacking off some plastic so I have ordered a PDC button top to see if I can get it out in place before recommending others do it. Hopefully someone else has noticed this as well and I’m not misleading anyone. I was tempted to take the console switch out again and take some photos to show to others…

Christopher72

PDC front and rear

Post by Christopher72 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:25 pm

I don't have the old control panel out yet to be able to compare it to the new one with the PDC button. I'll compare when I do, but that may be another few weeks.
Christopher