Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roller, bearing sound

Mastakko

Roller, bearing sound

Post by Mastakko » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:15 pm

I have a 2019 3.0i.

I had my car in the dealership last week for oil change and air filter (next time I'm doing it myself) and ever since I have noticed an unusual roller/rocker sound near the driver side hood during start up. It goes away somewhat after a short drive but not entirely. It almost sounds like something is loose and hitting or that the belt tensioners are loose, but shouldn't be based on the minimal amount of work that was done.

Curious if anyone else has this issue and I will upload a sound later today. Maybe the car is breathing differently since service and better air filter, but it doesn't sound like a sucking sound.

StanDiego

Roller, bearing sound

Post by StanDiego » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:54 pm

Mastakko wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:15 pm I have a 2019 3.0i.

I had my car in the dealership last week for oil change and air filter (next time I'm doing it myself) and ever since I have noticed an unusual roller/rocker sound near the driver side hood during start up. It goes away somewhat after a short drive but not entirely. It almost sounds like something is loose and hitting or that the belt tensioners are loose, but shouldn't be based on the minimal amount of work that was done.
I hope it's not a symptom of oil starvation. I'd take it back to the dealership posthaste.
2022 G29 s30i Black Sapphire Metallic / Magma Red / Shadowline / 799M Black spoke wheels "Darth ZEDer"

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Roller, bearing sound

Post by dr_john » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:20 am

Back to the dealer now!
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

Mastakko

Roller, bearing sound

Post by Mastakko » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:53 am

So the oil level seems fine. And it's not a grinding sound, more of an unbalanced roller sound. Let's see if these videos work and sounds come through to you lot

[youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/cAi65SlVDqA?feature=share[/youtube]

No idea why second video is such poor quality [youtube]https://youtu.be/CrvPZijLOmU[/youtube]

No idea why second video is such poor quality

StanDiego

Roller, bearing sound

Post by StanDiego » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:40 am

Mastakko wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:53 am So the oil level seems fine. And it's not a grinding sound, more of an unbalanced roller sound. Let's see if these videos work and sounds come through to you lot
There's a lot going on there under the hood but I believe I understand the noise you're talking about from your first video. I can't make out what might be causing it, especially without have a better idea of the location the noise is coming from. I'd use a stethoscope (or even the tube core of a paper towel roll) to try to localize the noise. It doesn't sound like an intake or exhaust leak nor a fuel pump, more like something might be wobbling a bit. Does it increase in frequency when you accelerate the engine or does it remain constant?
2022 G29 s30i Black Sapphire Metallic / Magma Red / Shadowline / 799M Black spoke wheels "Darth ZEDer"

Mastakko

Roller, bearing sound

Post by Mastakko » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:52 am

I have a stethoscope, and have put it on the rollers, they don't sound great. I just wonder if the techs loosened something up and it's now rubbing. The belt itself looks good. I'll try again in the morning. I can even hear the sound in the cabin with car idling in my garage so I know it's new. I'm pretty detail oriented and new sounds usually set off alarms in my head.

Besides cam roller bearings what else could it be? It does kind of sound like an air leak and sucking sound, but not sure why on that side.

For what it's worth I ran all the codes and searched for errors and nothing came up. So maybe my air filter was so clogged I'm not used to a clean one haha

Mastakko

Roller, bearing sound

Post by Mastakko » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:37 pm

Brought her in this AM, service agent couldn't tell, brought over Master technician and he agreed it didn't sound right.

Seems to be high pressure fuel pump but we'll see, it's in the shop now :(

StanDiego

Roller, bearing sound

Post by StanDiego » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:42 pm

Mastakko wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:37 pm Brought her in this AM, service agent couldn't tell, brought over Master technician and he agreed it didn't sound right.

Seems to be high pressure fuel pump but we'll see, it's in the shop now :(
Best of luck!

Schaef

Roller, bearing sound

Post by Schaef » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:09 am

And is the problem solved?

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Roller, bearing sound

Post by Nanu » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:50 am

Hope the issue has been solved.

Also how much was the oil change and when was it due, mileage or time interval?
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Mastakko

Roller, bearing sound

Post by Mastakko » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:00 pm

Nanu wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:50 am Hope the issue has been solved.

Also how much was the oil change and when was it due, mileage or time interval?
It was a time interval oil change, I drive less than 3k miles per year since I work so close to home and work from home some days, but it had been a year. $99 for the oil change at dealership.

Sadly the issue isn't solved. I asked the service agent for an update yesterday and he said the technician had to remove some more bits from motor to diagnose, should hear an update Monday or Tuesday. I'm getting concerned at this point to be honest. Luckily it's still under factory warranty and CPO until 2024.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Roller, bearing sound

Post by Nanu » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:15 pm

Presume that is $99 US dollars?

Scubaregs may be a little upset if you have had the same oil change at a dealership? Sounds very cheap.

Mine is in on Monday for a Brake Fluid change, quoted £76 but not sure if that is with or without VAT.

Sorry to hear the problem isn't fixed but I hope the dealership has given you a replacement to play with?

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Mastakko

Roller, bearing sound

Post by Mastakko » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:19 pm

@Nanu - Yes $99 USD. I think it's to lure you in so they can upsell you to other things on your car like a $175USD air filter change etc.

So far car is still in the shop and the details are very sparse. The technician can't seem to figure it out, but put it side by side with another Z4 and could tell that the sound from my car was audibly louder. I can say now that it is coming from the rear of the engine near the fuel pump/rail and I'm concerned it could be a timing change/tensioner issue.

I've stated as much to my service agent but he has said he'll let me know when the engineer reviews it and let me know. They seem to be scratching their heads at the moment. He also side while engineer is in they will be doing more inspection on all the systems on 'tear down' doesn't sound too great in my opinion.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Roller, bearing sound

Post by Nanu » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:53 pm

And a replacement while yours is being hopefully fixed?

A nice G29 perhaps?

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Mastakko

Roller, bearing sound

Post by Mastakko » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:14 pm

Nanu wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:53 pm And a replacement while yours is being hopefully fixed?

A nice G29 perhaps?
A 230i (COUPE) sadly, it seems to have a better exhaust sound and more responsive throttle, so maybe there is more wrong with my car than I thought? The steering is much worse and it's surprisingly less comfortable than the G29 though.