Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof centre 'latch'

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Rix

Roof centre 'latch'

Post by Rix » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:13 pm

I'm the time the car had been off the road, the centre latch (only on the pre facelift I understand) seems to be stuck in the open position. I've lubed it up and tried a quick jiggle with a knife and no luck.

Does anyone know how it's removed? There's 2 torx either side which I popped out but it's otherwise attached. There looks to be another 2 torx but access is obscured by the trim so didn't particularly want to pull it all apart if that's not going to get me access. Is it powered by the same more that controls the left/right catches or does it have its own little motor? I'd be inclined to delete it as the roof has never fully opened to flush without a little assistance, but guessing that would leave me with the flashing light?!

On the subject of the roof, is it normal for it not to want to stay half open? If I stop it in a 2/3 open position, it droops open more under its own weight, almost like there is an absence of hydraulic pressure?

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Roof centre 'latch'

Post by patriot66 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:21 pm

Hi Rix. I removed my centre latch as it did nothing but rattle and squeak. Just found a few not very detailed photos from when I did it back in June '21. I opted to completely remove the centre lock between the roll hoops and just disconnected the soft top centre lock, wrapped it in foam to stop rattles and tucked it away inside the trim panel. As far as I can remember it's connected with a cable to the electric motor that drives the two locks that engage either side on top of the windscreen. I didn't want to go irreversibly messing with stuff so thought this was the best course of action. The hood has worked absolutely perfectly since with no warning lights, no codes etc...and no rattles and squeaks :D
My hood also VERY slowly drops down under its own weight if I stop it half way or slightly higher. I just presumed it is heavy enough to force hydraulic fluid back through the system :thumbsup:
20210627_210749.jpg
20210627_210749.jpg (131.13 KiB) Viewed 357 times
20210627_210830.jpg
20210627_210830.jpg (144.53 KiB) Viewed 357 times
20210627_210552.jpg
20210627_210552.jpg (199.17 KiB) Viewed 357 times
diag_3czw.png
diag_3czw.png (282.78 KiB) Viewed 357 times
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Rix

Roof centre 'latch'

Post by Rix » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:48 pm

Thanks for the info - really useful! I can't quite get my head around the orientation of the part to the car but will take a look when I get some lighter hours at home. If it's on a cable and operated by the other motor then maybe it's the cable snapped or fouled etc. Will require some investigation! Useful to know re the roof closing under its own weight - mine does it very slowly too so it sounds quite normal!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Roof centre 'latch'

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:13 pm

Rix, do you mean the latch at the back behind the seats or the locking assembly at the front?
The one at the rear is only an anchor point really. If you completely remove it then the problem goes away. The usual issue is that it doesn't quite align and the motor isn't strong enough to over come the folds of the roof material and pull it into place. Wifey's did that and rattled to the point of driving us insane. I removed the big centre trim panel to get access to the other two bolts and simply hoicked the whole thing out.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Rix

Roof centre 'latch'

Post by Rix » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:36 pm

@enuff_zed - yeah the one behind the seats. The motorised latch is built into the roof and the catch is obviously behind the seats. Sounds like a plan, tho if it doesn't sit fully flush (which it won't under its own steam as you suggest) then I'd probably get the flashing light when the roof is dropped - possibly an annoyance my OCD may have issues with!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Roof centre 'latch'

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:00 pm

Rix wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:36 pm @enuff_zed - yeah the one behind the seats. The motorised latch is built into the roof and the catch is obviously behind the seats. Sounds like a plan, tho if it doesn't sit fully flush (which it won't under its own steam as you suggest) then I'd probably get the flashing light when the roof is dropped - possibly an annoyance my OCD may have issues with!
You also need to check the roof is folding correctly. Stop it halfway back and just behind the window each side you will see a triangular fold form. This should be outwards. If it folds inwards it effectively creates an extra layer of material and stops it going completely flat. I did some photos of it a long while back. I'll search them out for you.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Roof centre 'latch'

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:05 pm

Rix

Roof centre 'latch'

Post by Rix » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:19 pm

Yeah I definitely have that issue and have tried to correct it a few times, even folding properly when wet, and letting it dry with the correct folds - it wasn't for learning!

Rix

Roof centre 'latch'

Post by Rix » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:04 pm

Well I got this sorted today. Took the front roof trim off (2 hidden scres at the side which are only accessible with the roof half down!) And took the four torx out that holds the cable pulled centre latch in place on the roof. Soon discovered it was just jammed, but after pinging it released, realised that it was still sticking. The moving insert is held in with two metal pins - I managed to pop these up from the inside with a flat screwdriver, just enough to pull them out with some pliers. This released the moving inner part which I could release from the cable pull to take the whole thing out the car. When looking at the inner part I could see that it had warped a bit meaning that it didn't move freely. A bit of work on a flat bit of sandpaper re shaped it so it moved freely. Bit of reassembly and it now works as intended!

My roof still needs a mild help to fully close, but at least the centre latch to operates to hold it in place - no more flashing roof light!