Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Which Code Reader?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Which Code Reader?

Post by Zedebee » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:04 pm

Another vote for C310+ here. It’s a shame there is no “full scan” function though (not that I’ve found).
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

chanlon1

Which Code Reader?

Post by chanlon1 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:08 pm

Zedebee wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:04 pm Another vote for C310+ here. It’s a shame there is no “full scan” function though (not that I’ve found).
my ignorance showing.....what do you mean by a "full scan"?
E86 Z4 Coupe 2006 Silver

coldel

Which Code Reader?

Post by coldel » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:30 pm

Not really. I bought the C410 from Amazon as it was on deal and cheaper at the time, it was quoted in the ad as being released after the C310+ so just went for it. Ive not used the C310+

Maybe just google the specs of both and compare side by side?
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

colb

Which Code Reader?

Post by colb » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:00 pm

https://www.obd2shop.co.uk/wholesale/cr ... anner.html
Good price here for Creator C501 Scanner
Personally I have a C310 which covers what I need, it cleared an airbag code INPA and BMW Scanner 1.4 couldnt do on the Laptop.
Just invested in a Launch Tablet Diagnostic and coding Tablet, that can deal with a lot of makes not just BMW but at £300 quite an outlay, got that as the coding side of it is far easier to use that the Laptop software NCS Expert, Dis and WinKpf.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Which Code Reader?

Post by Zedebee » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:44 pm

chanlon1 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:08 pm
Zedebee wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:04 pm Another vote for C310+ here. It’s a shame there is no “full scan” function though (not that I’ve found).

It’s menu based, so you can only scan one ECU at a time, which is fine if you know what you are looking for (e.g. airbag light on), but laborious if you want to scan the whole car.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

chanlon1

Which Code Reader?

Post by chanlon1 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:48 pm

Zedebee wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:44 pm It’s menu based, so you can only scan one ECU at a time, which is fine if you know what you are looking for (e.g. airbag light on), but laborious if you want to scan the whole car.
Ahh, that makes sense, I guess if you don't know were to start looking, it could take some time
colb wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:00 pm but at £300 quite an outlay, got that as the coding side of it is far easier to use that the Laptop software NCS Expert, Dis and WinKpf.
A bit above my budget!!

I've never had a scanner before, so its a whole new world to me
E86 Z4 Coupe 2006 Silver

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Which Code Reader?

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:01 pm

Zedebee wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:44 pm
chanlon1 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:08 pm

It’s menu based, so you can only scan one ECU at a time, which is fine if you know what you are looking for (e.g. airbag light on), but laborious if you want to scan the whole car.
The Autophix gives the option of manually selecting the area you want, or doing a full system scan.
You can also watch live data. I found that useful for seeing if the vanos was working or not as it shows camshaft angles.
Also can show the steering angle as you move the wheel.
I only have experience of this one, so no idea if Creators do this too.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

grannyknot

Which Code Reader?

Post by grannyknot » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:23 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:01 pm The Autophix gives the option of manually selecting the area you want, or doing a full system scan.
You can also watch live data. I found that useful for seeing if the vanos was working or not as it shows camshaft angles.
I don't know the C310 but the Creator C510 does everything you just described except the Vanos, I haven't been able to find that anywhere in the menu.
2008 E86 M coupe
Toronto, Ontario

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Which Code Reader?

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:25 pm

grannyknot wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:23 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:01 pm The Autophix gives the option of manually selecting the area you want, or doing a full system scan.
I don't know the C310 but the Creator C510 does everything you just described except the Vanos, I haven't been able to find that anywhere in the menu.
It is actually showing camshaft angle. Doesn't mention vanos. You get the data on screen then rev it and you should see the angles change. If not, the vanos seals are gone.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

Joez4

Which Code Reader?

Post by Joez4 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:19 pm

colb wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:00 pm https://www.obd2shop.co.uk/wholesale/cr ... anner.html
Good price here for Creator C501 Scanner
Personally I have a C310 which covers what I need, it cleared an airbag code INPA and BMW Scanner 1.4 couldnt do on the Laptop.
Just invested in a Launch Tablet Diagnostic and coding Tablet, that can deal with a lot of makes not just BMW but at £300 quite an outlay, got that as the coding side of it is far easier to use that the Laptop software NCS Expert, Dis and WinKpf.
Colb what model tablet did you buy? And what can you code on it?

Have looked at Ncsexpert etc but it seems quite complicated and abit scared of bricking my car.

Sorry to hijack the thread
04 2.2i Sapphire Black Roadster

colb

Which Code Reader?

Post by colb » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:37 pm

I purchased a Launch 919E Scanner Tablet from here
https://www.obd2shop.co.uk/search/?q=919E&DirID=
Be aware its a Chinese Clone and not supported by Launch UK having said that I have not had any problems with it so far. It tells you when updates are required and once you select update it downloads all the updated software. Updates free for 2 years then you have to pay. If you don't update it will still work on its latest updates. Comes in a Hard Case and once you find your way around the menu's its a doddle.
It will scan the car and give a Health Report on all the modules it finds on the car, clears codes and show live data so you can monitor how the syatems are performing. It will code Airbag modules, delete transport mode on Z4's, carry out functional tests on central locking componants and loads of other test functions using its Bi-directional control capability.
I also have a Creator 310+ which is a good basic code reader that is suitable for those owners who want something simple to operate and portable. I also have BMW INPA, DIS and NCS Expert and BMW Scanner 1.4 on an old Windows 7 Laptop. The latter is far easier to use than the BMW INPA, NCS Expert software and has some limited coding capability for coding lighting and a few other things.
The best thing about the Launch Tool is that it covers the majority of Car makes Worldwide so not just limited to BMW.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650

Joez4

Which Code Reader?

Post by Joez4 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:23 pm

Thanks colb for the informative reply, sounds like a very good piece of kit for diagnosing but I assume the coding is limited?

I'm looking to code a few modules for lights and locking etc I've seen carly can do alot of coding but it's diagnostics is very lacking and NCSexpert will code everything but it's not straightforward.
04 2.2i Sapphire Black Roadster

colb

Which Code Reader?

Post by colb » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:33 pm

There are some Youtube videos that show how to use NCS Expert but as you say its a bit clunky to operate let alone get INPA and the rest to get installed on a laptop. Its usually down to getting the right driver and settings correct on the laptop. The sellers on ebay now supply the obd2 interface and the software on a usb stick as opposed to a CD when I bought it. Next time I plug my Launch in will have an explore and try and make a list of its capabilities for coding.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650

javis20

Which Code Reader?

Post by javis20 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:24 am

NCS Dummy makes NCS Expert very easy. Basically you download the cars program with NCS Expert and then open the file in NCS Dummy which translates it to english. Make your programming changes in NCS Dummy save the file and then download the file to the car via NCS Expert.

I use INPA, NCS Expert and ISTA on a laptop. However, I'm planning to purchase BimmerGeeks ProTool in next few weeks. Basically for convenience to run and code from my phone anywhere.

Z4Mariner

Which Code Reader?

Post by Z4Mariner » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:02 am

Hi Javis20,

My quick check of BimmerGeeks ProTool website seemed to still showed the E85/E86 platform not supported - has that changed? I've been hoping that they would expand support to our E85/E86 cars. If so, I want to upgrade. I really liked using it on my E88 (128i), and I was disappointed that I could not use it on my E86.

If you find out that E85/E86 are supported, please post and let us know.

Thanks !
Z4Mariner
Minnesota, USA

2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, Montego Blue, MT