Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

More Z4 Pain!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
davewuyts

More Z4 Pain!

Post by davewuyts » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:09 am

Love driving the Z4....
But now a bit of a list of problems inc major under-carpets and boot water ingress... now completely dry.
Still has slack handbrake, cloudy headlamp, loose under-car tray and bogus service history!

Biggest frustration is an airbag light which throws up the following codes:

983E - SBSL Control unit fault

93DB Sim control unit undefined status

Any clarity from you all on what that is? Obviously the water must have had something to do with it.

Dave

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

More Z4 Pain!

Post by bigwinn » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:44 am

If you have had water ingress into the airbag control modules the faulty ones will need replacing and recoding

Have you solved the water ingress fully?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

davewuyts

More Z4 Pain!

Post by davewuyts » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:08 am

Yes the water has been fully dealt with. The previous owner had issues with the roof clamping properly and had a new motor there, I think it must have come in then as there are no leaks but over a gallon of water came out. It’s completely dry now, took 2 whole days with carpet up and used a dehumidifier to dry everything completely. I was hoping the module attached to the rails under the seat was ok, it wasn’t actually in the water, which was all under the carpet on the left hand side. Does it mean going to the dealer?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

More Z4 Pain!

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:15 am

davewuyts wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:08 am Yes the water has been fully dealt with. The previous owner had issues with the roof clamping properly and had a new motor there, I think it must have come in then as there are no leaks but over a gallon of water came out. It’s completely dry now, took 2 whole days with carpet up and used a dehumidifier to dry everything completely. I was hoping the module attached to the rails under the seat was ok, it wasn’t actually in the water, which was all under the carpet on the left hand side. Does it mean going to the dealer?
The module under the rails is the Yaw sensor.
Your issue sounds more like the airbag module behind the B-pillar trim on the left side.
bigwinn has much more experience with these than I have though so I'll let him carry on. :wink:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

More Z4 Pain!

Post by bigwinn » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:55 am

I’m sure the dealer will gladly take your cash…

If it were me I’d get the oem module numbers and look for second hand ones that can be coded to the car by someone with the software

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

davewuyts

More Z4 Pain!

Post by davewuyts » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:29 pm

Really helpful guys, Thankyou. I presume I get the oem number from the unit itself?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

More Z4 Pain!

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:52 pm

davewuyts wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:29 pm Really helpful guys, Thankyou. I presume I get the oem number from the unit itself?
Indeed yes. Then you can put it into Realoem and see which ones are compatible with it.
Then a wanted ad on here and cross your fingers.

This topic shows you what you are looking for.
viewtopic.php?t=139299
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

davewuyts

More Z4 Pain!

Post by davewuyts » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:03 pm

Great!
Thankyou!

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

More Z4 Pain!

Post by paddy wright » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:53 am

Hope you get sorted, nice to see someone fixing a sad z!
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!