Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 FORUM HISTORY

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
TOMGREEN413

Z4 FORUM HISTORY

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:39 am

Hi Guys,
I was looking to see if I could find something about the history of the forum, when was it founded, by who, any back stores to the founding "fathers ", it's probably just me (or maybe not) but I find it interesting and important to know the background to these things,.
For those who founded this forum I'd like to say thank you for creating such a wealth of information and community, you should feel very proud.
Kind regards Tom
White e89 Red leather interior (But that's the wife's and don't I know it :/ )
Montego Blue Coupe manual si sport 💙 (Faster than the above....much faster :)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Z4 FORUM HISTORY

Post by buzyg » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:54 pm

Click on the members tab. It's all there. The Boss is at the top of the list and several of those early members are still around chatting. :D

TOMGREEN413

Z4 FORUM HISTORY

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:25 pm

:thumbsup:

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Z4 FORUM HISTORY

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:12 pm

Hey,

I created the forum in 2007 in place of a successful forum called z4um.com. I was a member of their community at the time when the forum went belly up overnight. Apparently the owner didn't have a backup and was unable to restore. I offered assistance but got no reply. In the interim I setup this forum with a view to keeping the community together until such time z4um was back, but that never happened. Over time we got busier and busier and the rest, as they say, is history.

We've gone through several redesigns and many moderators who have come and gone (except wondermike, we can't seem to get rid of him, LOL). Hard to think we've been going since 2007 really.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 FORUM HISTORY

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:22 pm

sp3ctre, We could go on and on, but to put it simply................
THANK YOU :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Z4 FORUM HISTORY

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:33 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:22 pm sp3ctre, We could go on and on, but to put it simply................
THANK YOU :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You're welcome... it's been an interesting ride, that's for sure... infrastructure has had to grow and have learned a lot along the way. Lots of interesting personalities have come and gone over the years (some are missed, some not so much :rofl: )

Be interesting to see where the next few years takes us :thumbsup:
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 FORUM HISTORY

Post by inkey$ » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:34 pm

Yeah, I agree. Thanks sp3ctre. I've been on an off of here for the past 13 years and too-many-zeds, and at one point (30s/pre-kids) used to be on here almost the entire day most days.

When I joined, my second hand 3.0 at the time was only 5 years old and relatively fresh. Then there were the ///Middle years, and this is my Modern Classic phase. This most recent experience is interesting because these cars could now be 20 years old and there's a great community of people willing to help, advise, break/supply and in a proactive friendly way - something not at all common across the various car forums out there.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 FORUM HISTORY

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:38 pm

sp3ctre wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:33 pm Lots of interesting personalities have come and gone over the years (some are missed, some not so much :rofl: )
Hmmm, maybe I should pretend to go, then sneak back to see what was said??? :roll:

Out of interest, I know you ask for donations, and I have put a bit in, though probably not enough.
How much are you out of pocket each year?
Whilst I understand that people like you do this for the good of the community, it would be interesting to know how we could help more?
Must be ways to raise funds and have fun at the same time?

NB. If you don't answer I will understand that you're actually raking it in. :rofl:

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Z4 FORUM HISTORY

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:11 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:38 pm
sp3ctre wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:33 pm Lots of interesting personalities have come and gone over the years (some are missed, some not so much :rofl: )
Hmmm, maybe I should pretend to go, then sneak back to see what was said??? :roll:

Out of interest, I know you ask for donations, and I have put a bit in, though probably not enough.
Whilst I understand that people like you do this for the good of the community, it would be interesting to know how we could help more?

NB. If you don't answer I will understand that you're actually raking it in. :rofl:
LOL, I wouldn't call it raking it in... on a good month we break even. Problem is hosting costs have risen quite sharply over the last few years but the traffic on the forum has remained quite steady. Also, since we started hosting image uploads, you can imagine how that grows over time, as none of them are ever deleted.

We get the odd donation but not like the early days, although with cost of living what it is now it is totally understandable that forum donations go to the bottom of the list, and that's one of the reasons I am not asking... people need to prioritise their families.

All I will ask is where possible people exclude our site from ad blockers... that is one small thing people can do for us if they aren't donating. It won't earn us much but "every little helps", as they say! I don't want to be one of those forum admins who are constantly "rattling the tin", so I'll leave it there :thumbsup:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Z4 FORUM HISTORY

Post by pvr » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:18 pm

I joined the original Z4um when I ordered my first 3.0 in 2003, indeed a different place to some extend as there was a massive EU and USA crowd as well.

I am still in contact with the chap who ran it, when the domain and database went in 2007, he had family issues in Asia and went there with the forum not so much on his priority list.

On both forums, there have indeed been some interesting events. We have also seen this forum as a dating site and I even attended a wedding :D
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 FORUM HISTORY

Post by craig3.2 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:19 pm

sp3ctre wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:12 pm Hey,

I created the forum in 2007 in place of a successful forum called z4um.com. I was a member of their community at the time when the forum went belly up overnight. Apparently the owner didn't have a backup and was unable to restore. I offered assistance but got no reply. In the interim I setup this forum with a view to keeping the community together until such time z4um was back, but that never happened. Over time we got busier and busier and the rest, as they say, is history.

We've gone through several redesigns and many moderators who have come and gone (except wondermike, we can't seem to get rid of him, LOL). Hard to think we've been going since 2007 really.
Yes,it's changed a fair bit over the years,in terms of owners/more keyboard warriors as time went on,but in the main,the majority are still a decent bunch
If it wasn't for this Forum, I wouldn't have met many many people who I now class as friends, nor would I have had lots and lots of very enjoyable z4 forum meets that myself and others have organised over the years.
It has been one of the best forums on the net for a while.
Pity the traffic on it is less these days, given the amount of z4 FB pages that have sprung up in recent years.
I have donated in the past too, via giving people things for ,,"free", if they make a donation to the forum,so hopefully they have.
I will make a donation again soon,in person this time, rather than through giving folk tickets to car shows,etc.

Keep up the good work,Jim :thumbsup:
Last edited by craig3.2 on Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 FORUM HISTORY

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:27 pm

sp3ctre wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:11 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:38 pm

LOL, I wouldn't call it raking it in... on a good month we break even. Problem is hosting costs have risen quite sharply over the last few years but the traffic on the forum has remained quite steady. Also, since we started hosting image uploads, you can imagine how that grows over time, as none of them are ever deleted.

We get the odd donation but not like the early days, although with cost of living what it is now it is totally understandable that forum donations go to the bottom of the list, and that's one of the reasons I am not asking... people need to prioritise their families.

All I will ask is where possible people exclude our site from ad blockers... that is one small thing people can do for us if they aren't donating. It won't earn us much but "every little helps", as they say! I don't want to be one of those forum admins who are constantly "rattling the tin", so I'll leave it there :thumbsup:
Well without you keeping it going I would not have learned as much as I have. I also would not have had the satisfaction of feeling I have helped others.
Finally, I will admit that selling parts to forum members has kept my wife's E85 on the road and therefore it is only fair to give something back.
Donation just made, with thanks.

Hopefully others will vote with their Paypal too. :thumbsup:

TOMGREEN413

Z4 FORUM HISTORY

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:50 pm

Thanks for sharing, maybe some day I'll have the pleasure of meeting some of you. I'd be happy to donate occasionally. ( sorry but I'm very un techy...so much so it drives my wife to distraction) ....your need to spoon feed me......how does one donate.. :tumbleweed:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 FORUM HISTORY

Post by Pondrew » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:57 pm

TOMGREEN413 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:50 pm I'm very un techy...so much so it drives my wife to distraction) ....your need to spoon feed me......how does one donate..
Just post a cheque made out to 'C.ASH' and send it to the address I've PMed you. I will deal with the rest for you. No thanks needed, we all like to help in any way we can! :D :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Z4 FORUM HISTORY

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:14 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:57 pm TOMGREEN413 wrote: ↑Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:50 pm
I'm very un techy...so much so it drives my wife to distraction) ....your need to spoon feed me......how does one donate..
Just post a cheque made out to 'C.ASH' and send it to the address I've PMed you. I will deal with the rest for you. No thanks needed, we all like to help in any way we can!
Or if you want it to get there here's a link:- app.php/donations

Which reminds me it's time I made another donation given how useful I have found the forum, and how much time I seem to spend on here. :lol:

I've bought and sold quite a few bits and pieces on the forum including several sets of wheels. I also sold both my previous Z4s and found my current one here!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black