Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Heated seat woes

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
SqerrNipz

Heated seat woes

Post by SqerrNipz » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:04 pm

I recently treated myself to a set of half-leather sports seats for my 04 3.0SE, under the impression they were ‘plug and play’. My old seats were the standard seats but heated and electric and I just love the look and feel of the sports seats. New seats went in no problem, however drivers seat will not heat. Lights flash on and immediately off. Passenger seat works fine.

Contacted BMW who suggested it was likely a break in the heating elements, so ordered new heating mats from Germany - £137! :cry:

Not yet fitted the new heat mats fully, but plugged them in to the seat loom and same issue once connected to the car. Carly OBD shows an issue with the heat sensor in the seat. I’ve read through the various guides and searched on here, but can’t find a definitive answer. Is the heat sensor part of the occupancy mat or the heated mats which seem to only be in the bolsters?

Any advice much appreciated as I’m tearing my hair out. Nothing ever seems to go smoothly when it comes to me and cars! I’ve plugged the old seat back in and works fine, which suggests to me an issue with the new seat opposed to the switch or car loom?

Cheers,
Tony
Proud owner of ‘Xavier’ - Maldive blue, 2004 3.0 auto. Heated/electric msports, style 107’s, gravity performance exhaust, E46 330i brakes, custom heated steering wheel, custom carbon intake, lots of other tweaks!

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Heated seat woes

Post by bigwinn » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:10 pm

The heat sensor is effectively a thermistor which senses if the seat gets too hot and cuts off

You can install a thermistor (I will check the spec) into the circuit and bury it in the seat to do the same job

It connects onto the supply wire and earth- I’ll share a thread where I installed heated seats into a non loom present car which will help explain

Pm me for more details
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Heated seat woes

Post by bigwinn » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:11 pm

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Heated seat woes

Post by bigwinn » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:11 pm

CDF12E8F-B31E-4860-B488-C1965D373274.png
CDF12E8F-B31E-4860-B488-C1965D373274.png (172.2 KiB) Viewed 218 times

EWS Delete PM me