Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Pedestrian/forward collision alert and ACC Not available

Mastakko

Post by Mastakko » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:06 am

As the description says, all the sensors seemingly associated with my forward facing radar system went on the fritz last week. For 3 days I couldn't use cruise control, and I received warning that pedestrian warning and forward collision alerts were not available.

Luckily they've randomly come back online as randomly as they went off. They went off during a rainstorm which is pretty unusual here (San Diego) and even more unusual for me to be driving in the rain.

Thanks for listening to me whine! Curious if anyone else has had similar issues.

BigDave

Post by BigDave » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:49 pm

We have a Volvo V70 with loads of driving aids, and in heavy rain or fog it does throw a wobble from time to time.. It always comes back on when the rain slows down or the fog lifts... :driving: :thumbsup:
So im guessing the "vision" of the systems shuts down if it cant see properly...

ori

Post by ori » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:58 am

I had this happen when the car was really filthy. Booked it in, but it cleared the next day.

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:00 pm

It's the KAFAS camera, which located at the mid top of your windscreen, that causes the issue. It's just like your eye, heavy rain or snow or dirt may block its view to the front so that the car tell you assisted driving system (include ACC although it uses the front radar sensor) is offline. No need to do anything other than wipe clean the windscreen for the KAFAS. The car will certainly log an fault code saying KAFAS camera view is blocked if you send the car to dealer or read the code yourself. This happened to me multiple times.

Mastakko

Post by Mastakko » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:24 pm

Thanks all for the feedback, next time this happens I'll try to clean er up. My car is usually spotless, but I'm guessing maybe the recent rains caused her to get a bit dirty.

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:44 pm

Mastakko wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:24 pm Thanks all for the feedback, next time this happens I'll try to clean er up. My car is usually spotless, but I'm guessing maybe the recent rains caused her to get a bit dirty.
Keep in mind that when the rain is heavy enough, its view will be restricted, just like your view will be restricted when driving in heavy rain. What you can see is what KAFAS camera can see. Then, if its view can't recover within a pre-defined time limit, then a warning message will be shown. Your brain is much much smarter than the KAFAS processing unit so you can recover way much quicker than it can. However, there will still be certain occasion when you think it's unsafe to drive due to rain, snow etc. At that point, you will just stop driving, which is exactly what the assisted driving system is doing.

Schaef

Post by Schaef » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:33 am

I had the same thing during my holiday trip to and from Italy. Only after a few hours of highway driving. It happened 6 times. The problem went away when I stopped and locked the car. But sometimes after a few kilometers it was there again. Tomorrow the car will go to the dealer for this problem.