Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 Bluetooth adaptor for CD Changer install ...where?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Mau

Post by Mau » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:12 am

@Frag: no, you need both of the connectors actually. They are not alternatives, but complimentary. If you do not have a CD changer installed now, the connectors might be a difficult find. Did you already scan the remainder of the vertical wall and did you look into any holes, etc.? If I am not mistaken there are reports on various fora about these connectors being tucked away making them difficult to find.

@Z4c-er: sure, have it your way, each to their own. But let me than rephrase: to you what would be the upside of going for the boot module and then route the microphone to the front of the car?
Image More on the '03 roadster and '08 coupe:click me.

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:59 pm

Mau wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:12 am @Z4c-er: sure, have it your way, each to their own. But let me than rephrase: to you what would be the upside of going for the boot module and then route the microphone to the front of the car?
OK, because I already have an adapter harness fitted behind the head unit to power an inline amp. I would not know how to sleeve in the other BT harness adapter. If I didn't have the amp adapter fitted, then yes, the head unit connector would be good. Also, there's no more room back there!
Also, scratching my head on this one, my only signal loss will be from the extension to the microphone and the loser will be the caller. The music and functionality of the BT module will remain unchanged, yes?
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

Mau

Post by Mau » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:50 am

Z4C_er wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:59 pm OK, because ... Also, there's no more room back there!
Very clear and fully understandable! Thanks. Indeed the space behind the head unit is pretty tight.
Z4C_er wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:59 pm The music and functionality of the BT module will remain unchanged, yes?
Yes! However, if you have DSP (maybe not that likely given the amp), you might need a "DSP bridge" for the one mounted in the boot. To me it is however not completely clear whether this is a rumor, or will by definition be needed. Reason for saying that is that I know of a case in which the installation was plain wrong, but DSP got the blame for it and not knowing other cases on one hand. But, if you have DSP you can obviously see that when you get there and order a DSP bridge if you encounter trouble.
Image More on the '03 roadster and '08 coupe:click me.

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:38 am

Mau wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:50 am
Z4C_er wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:59 pm OK, because ... Also, there's no more room back there!
Very clear and fully understandable! Thanks. Indeed the space behind the head unit is pretty tight.
Z4C_er wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:59 pm The music and functionality of the BT module will remain unchanged, yes?
Yes! However, if you have DSP (maybe not that likely given the amp), you might need a "DSP bridge" for the one mounted in the boot. To me it is however not completely clear whether this is a rumor, or will by definition be needed. Reason for saying that is that I know of a case in which the installation was plain wrong, but DSP got the blame for it and not knowing other cases on one hand. But, if you have DSP you can obviously see that when you get there and order a DSP bridge if you encounter trouble.
I have the basic stereo, so no DSP. Going by your experiences, I'm looking forward to this unit!

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:49 am

BTW, the BT adapter is available now.

Rldee007

Post by Rldee007 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:43 pm

I have the mic version which plugs in the boot to the two connectors and I have CD changer, DSP with Nav.

When I receive calls there is no volume issues, but when I stream music is it really really quiet. I have turned the BT and media volume right up and tried audio and video amps and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Any suggestions?

DocWatson

Post by DocWatson » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:44 pm

Help needed figuring out the last steps to get Bluetooth working on my Z4 e85 with hifi radio, cd changer and dsp 1. Apologies if this was a dead thread, the problem lives on!!

I was sold a radio harness with Bluetooth dongle and it didn't work, connects to my phone but plays no sound. I contacted the company and they told me I needed a DSP adaptor for the CD changer. I wired this up (having trained as a sound engineer, but not in car audio) but no change.

Going back to the back of the radio I saw that the dongle uses a small white connector fitted to the harness. Looking at the original harness; the points where this white connector fits to the radio were never in use to make the cd changer work/play. So I'm guessing there are redundant and the harness was the wrong part to start off with.

Looks like my best option is to fit the Bluetooth directly where the cd changer is (making the changer redundant which is fine).

The new problem, after 3 months research in my spare time, spending over £120 for nothing, and more grey hairs from being perplexed day and night (ignoring wife and child), is that NOW I CANNOT find this part. The picture in the post shows a dongle with female connectors. The smaller connector in the dongle photo, is exactly the same (also female) as the one which is available on my car (it's not connected to anything and is light blue). Obviously female to female connections won't work!! There is no male version in my car that could fit to the smaller connection I just mentioned. So how would that suggestion connect??? The CD change only has one connection, a small three wired male connector. The other connector, in the photo, belongs to the dsp adaptor I was (probably incorrectly) sold!

I'm in purgatory and can't find a way out! I've fitted stereos, amps and speakers to many cars since the 90's! This is driving me crazy.

I believe my audio configuration needs the Bluetooth to be added where the cd player is. This is as far as I can get. I found some schematics for the radio connections, according to my original harness wiring my radio doesn't used the CD changer connections (section C in the photo), even though I can play via cd's via the cd changer. I hope I'm going in the right direction. Either way, I just want a way out!!
Attachments
Radio connections
Radio connections
Screenshot_2023-01-17-16-57-04-77_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg (56.28 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Cd changer in trunk wall
Cd changer in trunk wall
IMG_20230117_164327.jpg (187.29 KiB) Viewed 460 times
Last edited by DocWatson on Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DocWatson

Post by DocWatson » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:46 pm

Oh and I have no Nav system.
Thank you for any help!!!!!!

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:04 pm

I did write up a while ago. It may help you, it may not but worth a read - even just to take your mind off of purgatory.
viewtopic.php?t=125967&hilit=Bluetooth
Mine was non-DSP but there was some comment on other options in there too IIRC.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:31 pm

Hi Doc Watson

I also did a write up on bluetooth install: viewtopic.php?t=130700
My bluetooth unit is Grom BT3, but I have DSP and so had to use a DSP Convertor - that part of the installation just might help you. Good luck
E85 3.0i SE Sterling Grey, 2004
E89 20i SDrive M Sport - Mineral Grey - Sold

DocWatson

Post by DocWatson » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:24 pm

:D Thanks guys. I have had to get on with having a family and stuff the last few weeks. Plus I lost momentum on this project (aka will the live)! I may have to go the Grom Route, it look like the most expensive one but hey! I already have a DSP converter so at least that's one additional cost avoided. I'll update the forum when I have solved this mess. Thanks again

j24

Post by j24 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:40 pm

inkey$ wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:04 pm I did write up a while ago. It may help you, it may not but worth a read - even just to take your mind off of purgatory.
I owe you a massive thanks to your thread - managed to install a BlueMusic Bluetooth adapter in my coupe.

It was a bloody tricky thing to install, and I honestly thought I was going to break the trim with how high I needed to prop it up to get access to the cables.

It's a much much trickier install if you've already got a CD changer, most of my time was spent trying to angle pliers in to pull out the right cables. But I managed, and found your thread a huge help!
2008 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:52 pm

j24 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:40 pm
inkey$ wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:04 pm I did write up a while ago. It may help you, it may not but worth a read - even just to take your mind off of purgatory.
I owe you a massive thanks to your thread - managed to install a BlueMusic Bluetooth adapter in my coupe.

It was a bloody tricky thing to install, and I honestly thought I was going to break the trim with how high I needed to prop it up to get access to the cables.

It's a much much trickier install if you've already got a CD changer, most of my time was spent trying to angle pliers in to pull out the right cables. But I managed, and found your thread a huge help!
:lol: That solid rear bulkhead carpet is a b*tch, right?! Glad to hear it helped out :thumbsup:
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0