Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Re map.

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Jey

Re map.

Post by Jey » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:43 am

In for a remap today, just looking for this to run as good as it can, don't Have a heavy right foot. Will let you know how this turns out (23) and if I think it was worthwhile.
😎
E89 - s23i 2010 Saphire Black
18 inch alloys for comfort - Idrive, cruise, and lots of smiles per mile... :D

Marcoose

Re map.

Post by Marcoose » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:11 pm

Don’t come back with a performance award.
:lol: :lol:
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Jey

Re map.

Post by Jey » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:52 am

Well, did t expect too much, however, noticeable improvement in Mpg, throttle is very much more responsive in standard mode, acceleration is noticeable improved too. Not tried sport mode as yet, or given it any stick so will add another update at some point. I would say i much prefer the drive now and although the gains were not high the drivability is so much better. Well worth the cost - since I bought this car I’ve not seen the fuel range show more than 280, by the time I got home and filled up it was reading 380, with 36mpg returned on the dash for the return run. It was 27.9 on the way there. Happy - be interesting to see how it behaves when I give it a bit of stick in sport mode.

R.E92

Re map.

Post by R.E92 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:29 pm

Fuel economy won't change that much, the fuel map for cruising will still be targeting stoich, they may have leaned out the map at higher load levels but that would only be relevant when you have your foot planted so over a normal drive cycle might reduce consumption by a fraction of a percent, certainly not 30%. The predicted range reading is just based off your recent driving.

Sport mode will also change nothing in terms of absolute power, it just delivers more power at lower pedal values so gives the illusion of more power.

Jey

Re map.

Post by Jey » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:39 pm

I didn’t expect more power, however the map really
Has smoothed out the throttle response and as you say, feels
Much better. I don’t have to Gas it now to get the car to move, feels how I think it should have left the factory. I expect this has made a difference to the fuel economy as a result and my fuel gauge appears to be confirming this. You’re right re sport mode, however this is also the case with standard mode. Overall well worth the effort and something I’d recommend

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Re map.

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:33 pm

It's good to see you have found it more responsive after the map. :thumbsup:

But I'm not sure about your improved fuel consumption. I've currently got my 4th car with the N52 engine and none of them has struggled to average more than 32mpg. Although to be fair none has been used to commute and I can usually avoid busy times of day.

Then again if you are in the US your gallons are smaller!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Jey

Re map.

Post by Jey » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:08 pm

I think I struggled to see more than 27 mpg because I had to Gass it to get it to move. It now moves much easier, the throttle response is crisp and almost instant. I’ve now had time
To push it in sport too and again, very pleased with the results. Averaging 32mpg now with 36 + with cruise on the motorway. The car honestly feels so much better and I’d definitely recommend a remap. Uk BTW. Car has done 56k

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Re map.

Post by Smartbear » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:21 pm

Jey wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:08 pm I think I struggled to see more than 27 mpg because I had to Gass it to get it to move. It now moves much easier, the throttle response is crisp and almost instant. I’ve now had time
To push it in sport too and again, very pleased with the results. Averaging 32mpg now with 36 + with cruise on the motorway. The car honestly feels so much better and I’d definitely recommend a remap. Uk BTW. Car has done 56k
Have you got before & after dyno runs you can post? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Jey

Re map.

Post by Jey » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:14 pm

I don’t Rob, the rolling road isn’t installed yet so this was a quick standard map (for nothing really) to see what difference this would make. They hadn’t had one in before either so the risk was on me although they promised to put it back as was if I wasn’t happy. I am 😉
I do have the option to put it on the RR once it’s up and running.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Re map.

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:40 pm

I don't suppose it matters too much, after all nobody expects a significant power increase from a remap on an N/A engine.

The main thing is you seem very pleased with the improved responsiveness, and economy. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Silverstar

Re map.

Post by Silverstar » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:54 pm

What's interesting is how everyone with a 23i or 30i NA engine that has a remap have come to same conclusion i.e. makes the car more responsive and better to drive.

One of the points mentioned by the OP is removal of the throttle lag, I achieved by fitting a second hand throttle pedal box for £50. I was contemplating weather to remap the car (30i) as well but that will cost around 250€ or more and I wonder how much more of a difference it can add on top of the throttle pedal box I already have.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Jey

Re map.

Post by Jey » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:08 pm

Silverstar wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:54 pm What's interesting is how everyone with a 23i or 30i NA engine that has a remap have come to same conclusion i.e. makes the car more responsive and better to drive.

One of the points mentioned by the OP is removal of the throttle lag, I achieved by fitting a second hand throttle pedal box for £50. I was contemplating weather to remap the car (30i) as well but that will cost around 250€ or more and I wonder how much more of a difference it can add on top of the throttle pedal box I already have.
Can’t say as I don’t know how much the pedal box improved your in the first place. I paid less than half of what you’re quoting to have this done so it was a no brainer for me, I would recommend this because it improves the drivability noticeably. I was never looking for more power.

mcbutler

Re map.

Post by mcbutler » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:09 pm

Silverstar wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:54 pm What's interesting is how everyone with a 23i or 30i NA engine that has a remap have come to same conclusion i.e. makes the car more responsive and better to drive.

Most low power sports cars have a staged throttle response for example a 15% depression of the pedal gives 45% throttle, or any other amount the manufacturer specifies.
(My daughter has a brand new 1.2 turbo corsa, the pickup on that little car is epic as a direct result of the pedal mapping)
On more powerful cars you can map the throttle response to 'linear' or 1-1 so a 10% pedal gives 10% throttle and so on. Makes the car a lot more predictable and easier to control.
You dont need to buy boxes etc to do this, MHD for example can do it on the N54 - not sure if N52 is covered though.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

tiglon

Re map.

Post by tiglon » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:04 pm

mcbutler wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:09 pm

Most low power sports cars have a staged throttle response for example a 15% depression of the pedal gives 45% throttle, or any other amount the manufacturer specifies.
(My daughter has a brand new 1.2 turbo corsa, the pickup on that little car is epic as a direct result of the pedal mapping)
On more powerful cars you can map the throttle response to 'linear' or 1-1 so a 10% pedal gives 10% throttle and so on. Makes the car a lot more predictable and easier to control.
You dont need to buy boxes etc to do this, MHD for example can do it on the N54 - not sure if N52 is covered though.
This is what comes to my mind every time I read "remap made my car more responsive". They've just changed the throttle settings.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Silverstar

Re map.

Post by Silverstar » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:29 am

tiglon wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:04 pm
mcbutler wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:09 pm

This is what comes to my mind every time I read "remap made my car more responsive". They've just changed the throttle settings.
So then with that in mind since I already have the pedal box it probably wouldn’t make much difference to add a remap as well.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red