Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Carver DSP + Aftermarket Audio - Everything you need to know in one place

OneFastMac

Post by OneFastMac » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:21 pm

I recently had an adventure with my Z4's aftermarket audio and I learned that my car was originally equipped with the Carver DSP "Top HiFi" Premium Audio system. I bought the car with aftermarket equipment already installed, but none of it worked properly and I had to dig and scrape and hunt for this information I'm about to share. Some of it was here. Some of it was on ZPOST, Some of the posts no longer had photos, some of the posts had vague information or missing details, some of it was on a private website where the information was detailed, but scattered and hard to parse (also a little too much gun propaganda, but that's neither here nor there)

So without any further adieu, I hereby present, in one single location, all the basic information needed for the next fool that buys an E85 Z4 with a butchered audio system. :P

The BMW Business CD radio on the DSP system only provides Channel 1 (Front Left) and Channel 2 (Front Right) audio signals to the OEM amplifier where the signals are summed, and the processed audio signals are sent to each individual speaker, including the Carver subwoofers. The radio and DSP amp are connected by the K bus which is a digital signal specific to the vehicle's built-in systems.

What that means:
-You can’t use an aftermarket amp with the stock radio.
-You can’t use an aftermarket radio with the stock amp.
-You can’t use the Carver subwoofers without the stock amp.
-You can’t use the built-in bluetooth phone features without the stock radio.
-You’re gonna be so mad if you bought a Z4 with a non-functioning DSP system.

What you can do about it:
-You CAN install an aftermarket radio with an aftermarket amplifier using the stock wiring harness.
-You CAN replace the Carver subwoofers (that procedure is not covered here, but you can do it I believe in you. It may be worth it to just buy the standard woofers from the non-DSP system. They'll fit in the same place and they're just standard paper 2ohm woofers, like $50 on ebay)
-You CAN enjoy great sound from all ten speakers with most any aftermarket analog amp or DSP amp.
Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 9.39.40 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 9.39.40 AM.png (1.88 KiB) Viewed 800 times
This shows the pin blocks at the OEM radio harness. You’ll only be using the following pins from block A. Wire colors are for the OEM "Top HiFi" wiring which will come in handy when wiring up signal inputs at the amp. Your radio harness adapter will have different colors and probably include some wires that you will not need to connect to anything because of reasons.

2 - Front Right Positive -- Blue w/Red
7 - Front Right Negative -- Brown w/Orange
3 - Front Left Positive -- Yellow w/Red
8 - Front Left Negative -- Brown w/Orange
12 - Ground wire -- Brown
13 - Amp Remote Power -- White
15 - 12v Power -- Red w/Yellow
16 - Radio Remote Power -- Violet w/White

(When wiring in power for the amp, the white #13 wire is your remote turn-on signal. You can find it in the factory amp wiring harness.)

You’ll be tempted to connect ALL the wires on your radio harness adapter but I assure you, you only need the 8 connections listed above. Since the OEM radio is connected to the K-Bus, signals from other wires won’t be interpreted by your aftermarket system and may cause numerous issues with system operation including but not limited to: Amp always on, dead battery now, panic because you thought you knew what you were doing, you idiot.

In my case, I had a 4 channel amp and if you paid attention up to this point, you understand that there are only 2 channels of audio coming from the OEM radio harness.
Because of that, I wanted to send full range frequencies to the tweeters and mid-range speakers and low range frequencies to the front woofers and rear subwoofers.

How I achieved this is by connecting the factory Ch1 and Ch2 wiring to the corresponding hi-level inputs on the amp and splicing channels 3 & 4 into Ch1 and Ch2. This way, the same signals are being fed to all four corresponding channels on the amp, but I used the low-pass filter just on Ch3 & Ch4. I wired speaker-out channels 1 & 2 to the six high and mid frequency speakers and I wired speaker-out channels 3 & 4 to the front and rear low frequency woofers.

This is where it can get a little overwhelming because of just how many wires there are on the amp harness. The guide above will tell you which wires to use for your amp inputs and the guide below will tell you which wires to use for your speaker outputs.

Speaker locations and wire colors:
LEFT SPEAKERS
- Tweeter Positive — Yellow w/Red
- Tweeter Negative — Yellow w/Brown

- Front Door Positive — Blue w/White
- Front Door Negative — Blue w/Brown

- Front Kick Woofer Positive — Red w/Yellow
- Front Kick Woofer Negative — Red w/Brown

- Rear Upper Positive — Yellow w/Black
- Rear Upper Negative — Yellow w/Brown

- Rear Lower (Subwoofer) Positive — Yellow
- Rear Lower (Subwoofer) Negative — Brown

RIGHT SPEAKERS
- Tweeter Positive — Blue w/Black
- Tweeter Negative — Blue w/Brown

- Front Door Positive — Blue w/Red
- Front Door Negative — Blue w/Brown

- Front Woofer Positive — Blue w/White
- Front Woofer Negative — Blue w/Brown

- Rear Upper Positive — White w/Black
- Rear Upper Negative — White w/Brown

- Rear Lower (Subwoofer) Positive — Blue
- Rear Lower (Subwoofer) Negative — Brown

This is all the info you need to have to successfully wire up an aftermarket radio with an aftermarket amp in your Top HiFi “Premium Audio” CarverTM BMW E85 Z4. Your mileage may vary, but everything you need should be listed above. Happy soldering!
Last edited by OneFastMac on Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bright Red 2004 3.0i Manual

OneFastMac

Post by OneFastMac » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:22 pm

If anyone wants to chime in with their experiences and knowledge from the Basic 6 Speaker system or the Non-DSP 10 Speaker system, that would be great to have that additional info in the same place as well.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:37 pm

That's a pretty definitive summary. :thumbsup:

Thankfully my DSP system is all present and correct, but if I get any issues I know where to look now and hopefully others will find it useful!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

OneFastMac

Post by OneFastMac » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:23 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:37 pm That's a pretty definitive summary. :thumbsup:

Thankfully my DSP system is all present and correct, but if I get any issues I know where to look now and hopefully others will find it useful!
My only regret is that I never got to hear how it was supposed to sound. Heh.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:30 pm

My first Z4 had it too! It's certainly loud, but has more bass than I'd like so I don't use it much. :roll:

Now I've got my MC I prefer the sound-track of the engine. :)
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

unique233

Post by unique233 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:31 am

I have the Carver DSP and 10 speaker system and Nav Pro in MC, I didn't care much for the sound from the amp.

After a lot of research and some great information from this forum I found that I could replace the amp and keep the factory head unit,

so it is possible to use an aftermarket amp with the factory head unit.

Now to caveat that statement, the Radio and CD work normally through the amp, and Bluetooth is direct from the Amp, I also have Carplay linked into the system and added an aftermarket DAB too through the radio (not ideal but at least I have access to more stations), I went for a 12 channel amp in the end which I can customise, its a pretty clever bit of kit and sits in the same place as the original amp. I didn't cut any wires, and made up a custom loom to bridge between the existing wiring and new amp.

Amp used - Helix V Twelve DSP Mk2

This is a great bit of kit and as you can customise it with virtual channels, or map each channel I/O if you wanted, I also upgraded all the speakers too whilst I was doing this upgrade.

Overall I am very please with the result, although I think I need a professional to setup the AMP properly with each channel for optimum performance.
Current: BMW Z4MC
Current: Aston Martin GT8
Current: GR Yaris Circuit Pack
Current: Jaguar I-Pace HSE

darich

Post by darich » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:51 am

As much as I'd love to boost my audio system from the standard business radio, I genuinely have no idea where to start, what to buy, what's compatible or what's good and bad.
Previously 2004 Sterling Grey E85 3.0SE
Currently 2007 Silver Grey E86 M Sport
Instagram - Zed4Coupe