Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof Difficulties

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
FunkyGBrown

Roof Difficulties

Post by FunkyGBrown » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:13 pm

Hi all,

Just gone to put the roof down on the car and sadly having some difficulty.

I'll preface this by saying I've not had the roof down for a good 3-4 months, so I'm hoping it's just seized and a lesson to drop it down more often!

So pressing the open button rolls the windows down halfway, unlatches the roof but then just a faint whirring sound. After a couple of goes, it did go about halfway in quite a jerky fashion but panic set in over it not closing under grey skies.ni managed to close it with the close button.

I've not yet taken the car out for a drive to warm it up a bit, so I'm hoping that sorts it. But is there anything else I'm able to try? Unsure it's a dead motor as it did open, albeit reluctantly!

Cheers

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Roof Difficulties

Post by bigwinn » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:40 pm

Sounds like the motor is on its last legs

Is it relocated?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Roof Difficulties

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:43 pm

bigwinn wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:40 pm Sounds like the motor is on its last legs

Is it relocated?
I'd concur. If it moves jerkily that seems to imply that the pump is ok, but the motor is struggling to overcome it's own seizing.
Did it close in the same manner?
It is possible you can free it up by doing that a few times, but who knows what other damage you may do?
Who are you closest to that does roof motors? Me (Norfolk), Stuart (Lincoln), Alan (Bristol), RBM (Hampshire).
Or is it something you'd tackle yourself?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

FunkyGBrown

Roof Difficulties

Post by FunkyGBrown » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:03 pm

Not relocated no, so obviously failure was one of my thoughts.

I'm in Kent, so probably a toss up between yourself in Norfolk or Hampshire..I did stumble across zed shed which did them for a reasonable price, but all the way up in Liverpool area. :P

It closes fairly smoothly.. but doesn't exactly have far to go!

Can the motor be ressurected and relocated? Or will it need a new one?

Thanks for the responses.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Roof Difficulties

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:06 pm

FunkyGBrown wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:03 pm Not relocated no, so obviously failure was one of my thoughts.

I'm in Kent, so probably a toss up between yourself in Norfolk or Hampshire..I did stumble across zed shed which did them for a reasonable price, but all the way up in Liverpool area. :P

It closes fairly smoothly.. but doesn't exactly have far to go!

Can the motor be ressurected and relocated? Or will it need a new one?

Thanks for the responses.
Hard to be 100% confident, but good chance it can be resurrected. If not, I have a few spares.
To be transparent, I am an enthusiastic amateur who has done quite a few relocations and resurrections now, but RBM are a business so you may feel you get more peace of mind with them. Not that I've had any complaints so far.
I'll PM you.

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Roof Difficulties

Post by Zedebee » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:21 pm

Hi Glenn, sorry to hear you are having difficulties with the roof. Just checking a few things.
Did you have the engine running - could it be a weak battery?
If you manually drop the roof (you will need to release the Bowden cable in the boot), does the close button still raise the roof OK?
What was the light on the control panel doing - flashing red?
Have you been keeping the car outdoors - is the roof motor cavity full of water?
If not the pump/motor, intermittent roof problems can be caused by a broken wire in the loom, above the passenger window where the roof folds. Difficult to find, but it’s a very specific wire that is well documented with photos on here.
Hope you get it sorted soon. :thumbsup:
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Roof Difficulties

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:11 pm

Zedebee wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:21 pm Hi Glenn, sorry to hear you are having difficulties with the roof. Just checking a few things.
If you manually drop the roof (you will need to release the Bowden cable in the boot), does the close button still raise the roof OK?
Have you been keeping the car outdoors - is the roof motor cavity full of water?
If not the pump/motor, intermittent roof problems can be caused by a broken wire in the loom, above the passenger window where the roof folds. Difficult to find, but it’s a very specific wire that is well documented with photos on here.
I was being led by his report that he could hear the motor whirring but only moving jerkily.
As you're aware Ben, until the motor is in the boot it's hard to move beyond that.
I have made a provisional plan to help out, but if you're closer and able to help then I won't step on your toes.

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Roof Difficulties

Post by Zedebee » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:37 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:11 pm I was being led by his report that he could hear the motor whirring but only moving jerkily.
As you're aware Ben, until the motor is in the boot it's hard to move beyond that.
I have made a provisional plan to help out, but if you're closer and able to help then I won't step on your toes.
Not at all Martin, I was showing an interest because I sold Glenn the car (with working roof :roll: ). I’m no roof expert beyond having diagnosed and fixed the “wire” problem on a previous car, and then finding out it’s not uncommon. I agree that getting the motor into the boot is likely to be the best move.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

FunkyGBrown

Roof Difficulties

Post by FunkyGBrown » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:34 pm

Zedebee wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:21 pm Hi Glenn, sorry to hear you are having difficulties with the roof. Just checking a few things.
Hi Ben,

Tried with an without the engine running. I gave it a good run up the motorway into town but still no luck sadly.

The light is solid red, but flashes after a while. It was making a groaning noise earlier but now seems completely silent after unlatching!

Car has been outdoors the whole time, not checked the drainage though. I suspect it may be filled with water if it's died!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Roof Difficulties

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:20 pm

FunkyGBrown wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:34 pm
It was making a groaning noise earlier but now seems completely silent after unlatching!
Ah, sounds like it's conked out then. Longer you leave it now the harder it will be to revive it as it has more time to corrode itself up solid.
If you can get to me sooner it may help.
I have a spare motor though if it comes to that.

FunkyGBrown

Roof Difficulties

Post by FunkyGBrown » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:31 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:20 pm
FunkyGBrown wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:34 pm
It was making a groaning noise earlier but now seems completely silent after unlatching!
Ah, sounds like it's conked out then. Longer you leave it now the harder it will be to revive it as it has more time to corrode itself up solid.
Yes I was thinking sooner would be better.. in away next week so will check in with you when I'm back I think!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Roof Difficulties

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:40 pm

FunkyGBrown wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:31 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:20 pm
FunkyGBrown wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:34 pm It was making a groaning noise earlier but now seems completely silent after unlatching!
Yes I was thinking sooner would be better.. in away next week so will check in with you when I'm back I think!
Suits me. Saturday or Sunday is by far the easiest for me but could do a weekday with some prior warning.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Roof Difficulties

Post by Number5 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:57 pm

Yep. It sounds like the motor needs to come out of its pond. ASAP. You’re too far away from me, so get one of the above lads to sort it for you whilst it’s still trying to spin.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Roof Difficulties

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:14 pm

Number5 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:57 pm Yep. It sounds like the motor needs to come out of its pond. ASAP. You’re too far away from me, so get one of the above lads to sort it for you whilst it’s still trying to spin.
Cheers Alan. Good to know you agree. Would have defaulted to you if closer but hopefully can sort

FunkyGBrown

Roof Difficulties

Post by FunkyGBrown » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:41 pm

Cheers guys much appreciated. Yes typical it's happened on a week where there isn't a lot I can do about it!

Tried it again today and there's no life in it at all. Hoping it won't come to needing a new motor but it is what it is! :driving: