Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 pain!

First port of call for new members
davewuyts

Z4 pain!

Post by davewuyts » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:57 pm

Hi there everyone!

I've just bought a 2003 2.5 Z4 which is a cool drive - though I wish it had 6 gears!
1.jpg
1.jpg (164.5 KiB) Viewed 668 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (160.59 KiB) Viewed 668 times
However it has several issues which were not apparent when I bought it. The trickiest 2 are:

a/ The headlamps seem to cast their beam all over the place and unevenly. They also ship water. Not quite sure what to do about that, maybe replace them with second-hand? Not sure how to get the water out or stop more getting in.

b/ I have an airbag light which came on the way home. Since arrival home I've realised the roof is not tight enough at the front and water seems to creep in, resulting in water under the carpet - probably the cause of the light. Anyone know if the roof can be adjusted at all? the clamps go on properly but there does seem to be water coming through there and dripping out of the panel above the mirror too.

You're probably wondering how on earth I missed all of this! Me too. I forgot to check under the carpets. It has a new roof motor by the way.
Dave

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 pain!

Post by bigwinn » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:00 pm

Where you based Dave

You’ll need to scan the airbag code to see exactly what the issue is and see if it resets

Then of course get to the root cause of the issue which as you’ve said is water ingress

The lights on z4 are poor- if they are letting water in get them dried and get new seals on the covers that should solve that
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Z4 pain!

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:28 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum with your smart Z4 - even if it doesn't have 6 gears! :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 pain!

Post by Zedebee » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:23 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. An early 2.5i is a great place to start with Z4 ownership.

Those lights don’t look like OEM to me, so if they are leaking badly it maybe best to bin them and replace with 2nd hand or a decent aftermarket option like 2Excites.

The roof leak is interesting. Z4s can let in water from many places, but rarely at the front of the roof. Check you are not missing any rubber seal that should be there. You can always post photos and ask for a diagnosis on here.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

davewuyts

Z4 pain!

Post by davewuyts » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:06 am

Thanks guys for the welcome and for feedback so far. After a rainy day (There are many here in South Wales!) there are large beads of water all along the front interior edge of the roof. I found out that the previous owner had the clamps fixed but didn't tell me. the water under the carpet might be from before that repair. Are there any drain plugs in the floor to help drain water?

Anyway, I've found instructions on getting seats and carpet out. I'd like to stop leak first! It's a bit disconcerting how many Z4 places seem to have potential leaks. One is the doors. But it seems dry on the sills and the immediate carpet by the door. It's definitely flowing under carpets and soaking upwards.

I also had a bit in the very left hand corner of the boot (UK!) Looks like I'll have to seal all the lights and aerial too. Can it get there from the roof?
Dave

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Z4 pain!

Post by buzyg » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:43 pm

Welcome to the forum, from sunny Cornwall. :)

Where it never rains, Just like in Wales. :lol: :thumbsup:

Hope you get those isues sorted promptly and can get on with the important stuff. :driving: :driving: :driving: :wink:

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 pain!

Post by paddy wright » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:18 am

Looks well. Welcome along. Those are after market lights so maybe switch back to oem.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 pain!

Post by jamie_z4 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:21 am

Zedebee wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:23 am
Those lights don’t look like OEM to me, so if they are leaking badly it maybe best to bin them and replace with 2nd hand or a decent aftermarket option like 2Excites.
those lights look like 2excite to me, i have the same ones on my current Zed.

I'd be tempted to get a pair of OEM Halogens and fit some LED Headlight bulbs :thumbsup:
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.