Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Additional camera thread, because.

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Christopher72

Post by Christopher72 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:05 pm

There's a ton of rear camera threads of how to connect them up with relays and filters. Several indicate regret in the cameras that use the number plate light due to the offset from center.
This format, adjustable and other seem more practical, while requiring additional drilling.
ImageImage

The rear seems simple... use the horizontal mounting under the ledge centered over the plate. The front seems more challenging, where to put it so that it is functional and not noticeable. Can anyone share their front camera locations, experience with using, and advice? I'll likely be hooking up to a MOST connected box like a Mr 12Volt.
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:25 pm

AnnubisZed is your man…after discussions with him I decided to stay with PDCs..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Christopher72

Post by Christopher72 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:15 pm

Much respect to Dave. I just don't trust PDC's to prevent beaching the bumper on a not-low-enough curb. I'm adding PDC's too, they're good for parking against a wall, fence, or other car.
Christopher
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:38 pm

:thumbsup:
Rear - Yeah the drill in type, as above, but make sure you have enough room to actually fit it (depth and that you can get to the nut etc). Or the number plate surround or the Autovox (https://amzn.eu/d/8sXBf9y) type all work. No need for the relay, but defo a purpose made filter box is needed.

As for the front, I've considered this, and have even looked for something that is purpose made for another BMW that fits the kidney grills (there aren't any for the E89) but did not pursue it further.... for one very good reason.........

Road dirt!!
The rear cam is bad enough when it's a bit wet out, but the front would be awful every single day. Using it as a parking aid, then you'd have to get out first and clean the lens all the time. IMHO, just not worth the hassle.

But saying that, all you need to do is find another BMW that has the same angled profile (or as close as) and with the same distance between the slats and buy a camera for that. They all connect the same anyway so it's just the fitment.
Or you could fit a number plate surround camera, that would do it, it might look a little odd but it would work.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230123_223453_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230123_223453_Chrome.jpg (33.69 KiB) Viewed 178 times
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Christopher72

Post by Christopher72 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:54 am

Well... no number plate on mine in the front. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3303 ... nse-plate/.
And the grillwork is all light, so a camera there would stick out like broccoli in your teeth :lol:

I've gotten used to a quick wipe of the backup lens on my Highlander with a microfiber cloth. This would likely need a front wipe as you say. For the most part, it's a fair-weather car with summer tyres -- I'll know when I'm going somewhere that I may need its parking precision.

Maybe another drilled one under the lip in front of the black diamond grill would give a good 170-deg view for front and down. I'm not really looking for it to do FLIR for me - so the down view with a cutoff top horizon would be the compromise. It would be fairly invisible.

Christopher