Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery Disconnected Now Having Multiple issues UPDATE!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Jstron

Battery Disconnected Now Having Multiple issues UPDATE!

Post by Jstron » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:16 pm

Hi, so I disconnected the battery so i could remove the seats and do a deep clean of the carpets I bought this car used and it smelt really bad. I left it like that for a couple days just so that the carpets would air out properly. But now I have

- Airbag Light
- The Drivers window will not roll up or down (it previously worked perfectly fine)
- When I turn on the headlights they dim down, then back up
- My turn signals/warning lights inside the car do not show up on the dash (but work fine outside the car)
- The radio is disabled

It did however fix the passenger door not opening with the key so that's a win I guess. :|

I already changed the fuses for the airbag, and the window and nothing happened. I have also done a "hard reset" leaving the battery disconnected for 15 minutes with the headlight on. I really do not understand what happened, any advice would be appreciated.

Update: I disconnected the battery because I was going to start to remove the center console (I was halfway through and broke the back cover slightly.) :( I needed to move the seats forward a bit to reach the side bolts and when I connected the battery again the windows and everything else worked again. So I guess leave your battery disconnected for two days if this ever happens to you. No the back cover is bothering me :headbang:
Last edited by Jstron on Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Battery Disconnected Now Having Multiple issues

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:55 pm

Did you leave the battery disconnected for at least 20 minutes before you unplugged the seats? Indeed, have you remembered to plug the seats back in?
A decent code reader should hopefully be able to reset that airbag light.
As for the rest? Is this transport mode? Sounds more than that to me.
Is the battery in good health?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Jstron

Post by Jstron » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:27 pm

I do not believe I left the battery disconnected for 20 minutes before removing the seats. Probably only a couple, but I had removed them before the same way to clean them and nothing like this had happened. I did plug them in before connecting the battery I made sure to do that.

Do you have a code reader recommendation perhaps?

Transport mode as in when driving? Yes parked or driving all of those issues occur. I'm hoping that its just the car needs to get driven for a couple of days so it can reset its self. I tested the battery with a multimeter and all the reading came out fine. maybe I'll take it to get it tested properly instead. I drove it for a bout 30 minutes yesterday and the car feels fine it's just those issues that a now new.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:38 pm

Transport mode is a setting for when they are being delivered from the factory. It disables the A/C and HRW and limits the heater fan speed, among other things.

Dealers were supposed to delete it during the PDI but many seem to just disable it so when the battery is disconnected it often defaults back to it.

If it is that you need someone with software to sort it as I don't think any code-readers can do it.

Might help to say where you are as someone local may be able to help out, although as Enuff_Zed said it sounds like you've got more going on there. :(
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Jstron

Post by Jstron » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:24 pm

I looked up what Transport mode is but I do not believe that is the issue. But I won't rule out the possibility.

My ac and heat work fine at full speed on the fans. Might have to take it to a local euro shop to get it checked out if I can't figure it out in a couple days. Hoping I didn't somehow mess up some electronics. Everything was working fine, I should've just lived with the smell :lol:

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:06 pm

Whereabouts are you Jstron? Somebody nearby with a code reader may be able to help. If not, the Creator 310+ is a popular reader and will definitely clear the airbag warning light from removing the seats (if you know where to look).
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Jstron

Post by Jstron » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:49 pm

Im in Idaho in the usa.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:01 am

That isn't ideal then as most people on here are in the UK. :(

But it doesn't look like your problem is "Transport Mode" so investing in a Creator 310+ code reader might be cheaper than taking your car to a garage.

Good luck getting it sorted. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Jstron

Post by Jstron » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:17 am

Yeah I'm basically in the middle of nowhere in the US anyways. :D

I've been looking around the forum and discovered these to posts

viewtopic.php?t=105089
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=105068

They have the same exact issues as I do so I'm hoping this will fix it. Now I just have to figure out how to do it. And apparently removing the module is a PITA :(

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:44 am

Glad you found all that and hope it helps. There is such a vast amount of knowledge hidden within this forum and you cannot always guarantee that the members online at the time will remember it is there. A few well directed searches and an hour or two of reading is often the best bet.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Jstron

Post by Jstron » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:45 pm

Yes there is so much information it takes a while to find it haha. I'm hopeful this will fix it just need to figure out how to remove everything now. I'll update once I get it done to see if that fixes my issue. :thumbsup: