Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Flat battery - cause?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
hsyben

Flat battery - cause?

Post by hsyben » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:36 am

I usually drive my 2003 Z4 2.5i at least once every week without any problems - just a lot of fun :D
However, I have left it twice for two weeks without firing it up and found the battery drains flat - the electric locks won't even work. The battery is only a year old and I haven't left any lights on.

Any ideas of what could be draining it please?

Special Kay

Flat battery - cause?

Post by Special Kay » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:53 am

My guess would be that "I presume" you don't leave your car on a trickle charger in between drives. It's usually bad for any battery to be run flat, it kills the battery inners, it affects the charging/recharging abilities of the battery too. You say the battery is only a year old so should still be under warranty. I would try charging the battery, if it doesn't fully charge, take it back for an exchange battery. Sorry I can't be more technical or helpful, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along soon and help you further. :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Flat battery - cause?

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:54 am

Check the light in the centre storage cubby between the seats.
Make sure it switches off when nearly closed.
If not, then check the bottom of the opening door. There is a small plastic lug on the bottom that activates the micro-switch for the light. This is easily snapped off, so the light stays on.
If broken then obviously start by disconnecting the light until you can fix/replace it.
If you cannot find a good condition lid then it is possible to remove the lid, drill a very small pilot hole to prevent cracking, then fit a small self-tapping screw and adjust it's length to activate the micro-switch.

Of course, this may not be your problem at all.................
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

colb

Flat battery - cause?

Post by colb » Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:51 pm

Could well be something draining the battery like enuff_zed describes however with the engine running put a volt meter on the battery terminals and see what voltage is being put out by the alternator, you should see around 14volts if its charging ok. If its charging ok then next move would be to check for a battery drain, take a look on Youtube for info on how to do this, if it is a battery drain it will involve taking fuses out to see which circuit is responsible and then checking the wiring and connections to the offending item.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqxB4Ete17I
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

hsyben

Flat battery - cause?

Post by hsyben » Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:41 pm

Thanks for all of the advice. I didn't even know that there is a light in the center console, but it seems to switch off ok. It has an aftermarket dashcam and it occurs to me that this is worth checking. I'll go down the battery drain route.

Special Kay

Flat battery - cause?

Post by Special Kay » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:08 pm

I reckon you've found your culprit. That happened to me earlier this year. Resulted in a new battery in my case :headbang:

Jamezee

Flat battery - cause?

Post by Jamezee » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:28 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:54 am Check the light in the centre storage cubby between the seats.
Make sure it switches off when nearly closed.
If not, then check the bottom of the opening door. There is a small plastic lug on the bottom that activates the micro-switch for the light. This is easily snapped off, so the light stays on.
If broken then obviously start by disconnecting the light until you can fix/replace it.
If you cannot find a good condition lid then it is possible to remove the lid, drill a very small pilot hole to prevent cracking, then fit a small self-tapping screw and adjust it's length to activate the micro-switch.

Of course, this may not be your problem at all.................
Just found this exact same problem on my coupe today :( jammed the swith off until i can get new or replacement parts :thumbsup:
Z3 2.2 sport tit silver
Z4 coupe 3.0si sport montego blue
728i oxford green
Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Flat battery - cause?

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:49 pm

It's actually quite a simple fix. Sounds a bit cowboy, but honestly you can'tt see it!
Remove the door. There are various instructional links on how to do this. If you can't work it out, PM me.
Once the door is off, use a file to smooth down the snapped of lug remains. Then use a small drill bit to make a pilot hole through the lug base. If you don't then you run the risk of splitting the plastic. Get a small self-tapping screw, about an inch long and gently screw it in to the bottom of the door until it projects the same amount as the old plastic lug did.
Refit the door.
The screw operates the microswitch the same as the old plastic lug. And unless you know it's there you'd never know.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.