Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

First inspection of Z4M throws up some issues, feedback appreciated

"M" Specific discussion
Sajk

Post by Sajk » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:45 pm

Can't see how it robs power at all. When the car is started the mixture is very rich to keep the engine runnimg. The pump adds air into the exhaust so that the overly rich mixture has enough oxygen to burn off in the exhaust while the cats, o2 sensors and engine warm up a bit. It runs for a few minutes then switches off. Yes it has some weight but put 5 litres less fuel in and you will save more than the pump weighs.

jontZ4M

Post by jontZ4M » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:52 pm

Hi guys thanks for the replies.

Follow-ups:

- car was bought from Goldstone Cars in hitchin. I did have a good look over the car before buying.

- sounds like white scum on oil lid is from car doing short journeys. I've ordered the correct 14mm socket and a HG sniffer, so will go ahead and do further tests just to make sure.

- regards exhaust leaks, will assess further when I have it off the car. Will investigate further into aftermarket systems.

- will probably update rust correction progress with videos as soon as I get my camcorder working again.

- Ok sounds like I can remove secondary air pump system without huge repurcussions. Begs the question; if this is the secondary air pump, where/what is the primary pump?

- regards the diff oil leak, as it doesn't seem to be time-critical, I may investigate changing the seals myself. It sounds like a DIY-doable challenge. Is there a BMW website where you can order any BMW OE parts? When I was into Nissans, we had a super useful website that allows you to order any OE part for any Nissan pretty much.

jontZ4M

Post by jontZ4M » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:54 pm

Does anyone know what type of steel the OE exhaust is please? Might be able to weld it up myself if it's not too corroded.

grannyknot

Post by grannyknot » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:38 pm

Sajk wrote: ↑Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:45 pm Can't see how it robs power at all. When the car is started the mixture is very rich to keep the engine runnimg. The pump adds air into the exhaust so that the overly rich mixture has enough oxygen to burn off in the exhaust while the cats, o2 sensors and engine warm up a bit. It runs for a few minutes then switches off. Yes it has some weight but put 5 litres less fuel in and you will save more than the pump weighs.
Weight, electrical draw, turbulence all rob power, yes? Extra fuel is spent to run and carry the SAPS, yes? The phrase I used was "a bit of power".

The real argument here is the reason it's there in the first place, I'm arguing that it's there only because it appears to help but you can't burn more fuel and expect it to create less pollution, not unless you're a politician of course.

Apologizes to the OP, didn't mean to take your thread off track.
Let's start another thread if anyone wants to continue with this subject.
2008 E86 M coupe
Toronto, Ontario

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:39 pm

jontZ4M wrote: ↑Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:54 pm Does anyone know what type of steel the OE exhaust is please? Might be able to weld it up myself if it's not too corroded.
It's stainless. Yet appears to rust a little. Doubt it would weld easily.

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:18 pm

buzyg wrote: ↑Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:39 pm
jontZ4M wrote: ↑Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:54 pm Does anyone know what type of steel the OE exhaust is please? Might be able to weld it up myself if it's not too corroded.
It's stainless. Yet appears to rust a little. Doubt it would weld easily.
Yeah, 😌 think it's a Mild Stainless steel,as opposed to Full 304:grade Stainless,which is probably why they rust.
Probably only have added another Β£3-500 to the cost of the car if they'd made it in Full 394 grade,haha....but that would also mean BMW couldn't charge obscene money for replacement exhausts πŸ˜‚
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:32 pm

jontZ4M wrote: ↑Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:52 pm - regards the diff oil leak, as it doesn't seem to be time-critical, I may investigate changing the seals myself. It sounds like a DIY-doable challenge. Is there a BMW website where you can order any BMW OE parts? When I was into Nissans, we had a super useful website that allows you to order any OE part for any Nissan pretty much.
If it is any help you can find Part Numbers on here:- https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

Cotswold BMW and Sopers of Lincoln both offer a discount to forum members and will post parts.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

maupineda

Post by maupineda » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:07 am

The primary pump is the engine itself. An ICE is a massive air pump

Argenta

Post by Argenta » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:29 am

Well you never floor it while its in use (stone cold engine), do you. So no, it doesnt rob power.

peteslag

Post by peteslag » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:01 pm

jontZ4M wrote: ↑Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:52 pm - regards the diff oil leak, as it doesn't seem to be time-critical, I may investigate changing the seals myself. It sounds like a DIY-doable challenge. Is there a BMW website where you can order any BMW OE parts? When I was into Nissans, we had a super useful website that allows you to order any OE part for any Nissan pretty much.
Mine had a very low pressure leak until one day (after a spirited drive) it was bloody hoofing out. I looked into doing it myself but realised that there was quite a lot of work involved and ultimately I couldn't be bothered. I ended up paying an indy Β£350 to do it in the end. The exhaust needs to come off to do it so maybe you can combine those particular jobs.

The underside of my car isn't too bad but I'm still planning to treat it next week. I was going to use lanoguard, I'll let you know how it goes.

Great looking car by the way.

jontZ4M

Post by jontZ4M » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:18 pm

^^^ thanks again for the feedback guys. Much appreciated. If someone could now just please create some more hours in the week so I can get on with it :)

Wassup

Post by Wassup » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:46 am

jontZ4M wrote: ↑Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:18 pm ^^^ thanks again for the feedback guys. Much appreciated. If someone could now just please create some more hours in the week so I can get on with it :)
And some more daylight and warmer weather :rofl:
Joking aside, all of what you've discovered on your Z4MR is normal/to be expected on a UK teenage car.

I'm in the process of restoring my Z4MR and currently working my way through the rear subframe, trailing arms, bushes etc and happy to help with OEM part numbers if your struggling or general advice having parted out a Z4M Roadster last year. Just drop me a pm :thumbsup:
2008 Z4MR Ruby Black, Sepang Hell, Carbon Weave
2006 Z4 3.0si Montego Blue, Imola/Black individual
NCS/ISTA diagnostics & coding in Midlands - pm me

jontZ4M

Post by jontZ4M » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:58 pm

Wassup wrote: ↑Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:46 am I'm in the process of restoring my Z4MR and currently working my way through the rear subframe, trailing arms, bushes etc and happy to help with OEM part numbers if your struggling or general advice having parted out a Z4M Roadster last year. Just drop me a pm :thumbsup:
Certainly will do thanks.