Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight washer pump not working

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Sam H

Post by Sam H » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:36 pm

Hi All. Apologies if I this has already been asked on the forums before, I have been searching for what feels like days at this point and have not found anything of use.

I've been having issue with my headlight washers on my 2004 E85 Z4 3.0i SE.

When I first came to own the car I know that the pump worked, and both washers fired. However, the passenger side washer jet was leaking severely, which is where I left the issue for several months. When I finally got round to ordering a replacement jet from BMW and fitted it, I found that there was no life in either of the washer jets. I assumed it was the pump, so ordered a new pump and fitted it, but even after this I still had no joy. I checked the fuse which was all good, and even tried swapping in a new one for the sake of it. After this I thought that perhaps the mesh filters in the washer reservoir could be gunked up, so removed both pumps and mesh filters and cleaned them thoroughly, hoping that this would coax the washer jets back into life. Still nothing. I can hear that the pump is not firing at all, which has me baffled as I know the fuse is okay and the pump has not seen any use at all and is pretty much brand new.

Is there any other part that could be faulty causing the pump not to fire? Perhaps a relay that could be faulty, or one of the cars ECU's perhaps?

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:48 pm

Apologies if you already know, but the headlamp washers should only operate when the lights are on and then only every 5th (I think) time you use the washers.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Sam H

Post by Sam H » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:59 pm

No apology needed! Yes I was already aware of this, headlights are on when trying everything listed above etc.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:02 am

I think both pumps are the same? Have you tried moving the windscreen pump plug onto the headlight pump and seeing if that works? Should run every time then of course.
Or swap the pumps round. Not unheard of to have a brand new component that won’t work
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Sam H

Post by Sam H » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:25 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I've just gone to check and unfortunately the connections on the pumps are slightly different so I couldn't swap them over to test. I'm hoping that the new pump I got was from a bad batch, I've contacted the seller to get a replacement sent out under warranty.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:36 pm

Sam H wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:25 pm Thanks for the suggestion, I've just gone to check and unfortunately the connections on the pumps are slightly different so I couldn't swap them over to test. I'm hoping that the new pump I got was from a bad batch, I've contacted the seller to get a replacement sent out under warranty.
Ah well, I did guess without looking tbh. Sorry.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Sam H

Post by Sam H » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:58 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:36 pm Ah well, I did guess without looking tbh. Sorry.
It was a very good guess, they are identical apart from a slight nib that sticks out in one corner. Thanks.

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:42 am

The system works on water pressure- if it has drained entirely from the leak you just need to re pressurise the system. This is done by switching the ignition to second click, switch on headlights, pull the washer spray. Turn off and repeat- takes about 15-20 goes from memory.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!