Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Windows mist up when parked?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Mr_E85Bim

Post by Mr_E85Bim » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:30 pm

Perhaps an unusual one here gents. Wonder if anyone has any ideas?

All the other cars don't appear to have mist on the windows but mine is often. What's more concerning is that it's on the inside!
I'm wondering if it's bcos there is water where the motor is. Or maybe its just bcos it's a soft top. There are no other soft tops around so I can't compare.

Any ideas? I'm hoping it's nothing to worry about...

Thanks

DMike

Post by DMike » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:46 pm

Hi,
That’s not normal. Have you tried if the carpets in front, under, or behind the seats are wet? If they are, then the usual suspects are blocked roof drains or leaking door membranes.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

Mr_E85Bim

Post by Mr_E85Bim » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:23 am

Thanks Mike.

Have check, they are bone dry...

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:36 am

check UNDER the carpets. seat forward. lift the section under the seat and put your hand between the carpet and body panel.
i'll bet my left bollock it will be wet.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Mr_E85Bim

Post by Mr_E85Bim » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:51 am

Chris_D wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:36 am check UNDER the carpets. seat forward. lift the section under the seat and put your hand between the carpet and body panel.
Thanks Chris, I'll give that a try. But would that not just be condensation of the metal, with it being cold and all? If there was that much water surely it would soak the carpet? Just thinking out loud. What's it likely to be if it is wet there in your experience?

I did peep down the side with the roof partially down, shining my phone torch, on the driver side and it seemed pretty clean. But that was in the summer...

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:22 am

Mr_E85Bim wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:51 am
Chris_D wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:36 am check UNDER the carpets. seat forward. lift the section under the seat and put your hand between the carpet and body panel.
Thanks Chris, I'll give that a try. But would that not just be condensation of the metal, with it being cold and all? If there was that much water surely it would soak the carpet? Just thinking out loud. What's it likely to be if it is wet there in your experience?

I did peep down the side with the roof partially down, shining my phone torch, on the driver side and it seemed pretty clean. But that was in the summer...
It’s mainly compromised door membranes or blocked roof drains.
In my case, it’s the front scuttle panel and even though i’ve gone to great lengths to try to remedy my own leak in the past including new door membranes and an elaborate system of bunding under the scuttle, I still have to stuff a towel under the passenger side carpet to soak up water when it rains.
It’s an issue that won’t go away.

If you discover wetness under the carpets get the door cards off and check the foam membranes are intact and form a good seal.
Check the roof drains aren’t blocked, first by poking a stiff wire up through the drain hole ust forward of each rear wheel, then by pouring water in them to observe that they drain ok.
Take the wipers off and look under the windscreen scuttle panel for dead leaves and other crud blocking the drain channels. If they’re blocked it will cause rain water to collect and flow into the cabin via the firewall.
Last edited by Chris_D on Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Mr_E85Bim

Post by Mr_E85Bim » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:24 am

Chris_D wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:22 am
Mr_E85Bim wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:51 am

It’s mainly compromised door membranes or blocked roof drains.
In my case, it’s the front scuttle panel and even though i’ve gone to great lengths to try to remedy my own leak in the past including new door membranes and an elaborate system of bunding under the scuttle, I still have to stuff a towel under the passenger side carpet to soak up water when it rains.
It’s an issue that
I will take a look as instructed and update accordingly.

Thanks again

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:07 am

The sound deadening under the carpets is capable of sogging up a LOT of water before you’d notice it on the surface of the carpet. As Chris_D says, get under the seat (both sides) and get your hand into the gap between the carpets.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:48 am

are you using the aircon? things have been very damp recently, doesnt take that much moisture to condense on the insides of windows. heck if you get in a car with a wet coat on it'll take a few days for that moisture to dry out, though it'll happen a lot faster with the a/c on.

Mr_E85Bim

Post by Mr_E85Bim » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:18 am

Apologies gents! Looks like I was being a bit of a wally! The steaming up on happens on nights I have used the car :rofl:
Better than finding a flooded under carpet!!

Thanks for the advice as always!! :thumbsup: