Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2007 BMW Z4

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
melcdreyer

2007 BMW Z4

Post by melcdreyer » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:48 pm

Z4Mariner wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:13 pm Congratulations on your 'new' 2007 Z4 convertible. I have a 2006 Z4 coupe - and my RAM 1500 pickup is my hauling / winter vehicle (my Z4 is in the garage for the winter, since I live in Minnesota).

Echoing previous responses, plus my own opinion: it's a fun car, and it can be quite reliable. I searched for a Z4 this past year and ended up with a 2006 Z4 Coupe. I shopped 2006 through 2011 Z4's, and specifically wanted a 3.0L N52 versus an N54/N55. The N52 is complex, but less so than the turbocharged, direct injection engines. It gives up some power, but 260 is enough for both fun and to get oneself into trouble when exercised without good judgement. I do most of my own mechanical, but if you don't, just find a good independent mechanic and you'll be fine.

Good luck and happy driving with your 'new' car !
Thank you for your response. I live in South New Jersey so it's the throw of a dice as to our weather, but I do have the car covered. We will use our Ram most of the time and use the Z4 on nice weather days. Not an issue. I am taking the car back to the dealership for additional repairs this Friday and I am very thankful that the dealership is holding up to their end of the bargain on the 30 day warranty and making the repairs. I took the car to the local BMW dealership this past Friday for a recall, which they took care of, but they also took a video of the undercarriage of the car and there is a leak from the oil pan gasket, which they have agreed to take care of. Additionally we already knew that the "Service Engine Soon" light is on and the code is for the Vanos Intake and they are replacing the solenoid valves as well.

That being said, and this question is for anyone out there. We did find a local guy that has a garage not far from us that came recommended by a local shop my husband uses. The guy specializes in imports. So would ya'll recommend an independent mechanic over using the local BMW dealership for service? My husband is not mechanically inclined and is not really able to help me with any of it. I'm a willing participant and not one to mind getting my hands dirty. I have always taken my Ram to the dealership for service but of course it is still under warranty, but they serviced other vehicles I purchased over the years and always seemed to shoot straight with me on work that needed to be done. Is it the cost issue of using a BMW dealership for service?

Would like to know what everyone recommends.

Thanks

melcdreyer

Z4Mariner

2007 BMW Z4

Post by Z4Mariner » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:43 pm

I'll take a stab, and others can voice their opinions as well. First, I won't "tar-and-feather" BMW dealers (main dealers) - though they are apt to be the most expensive most of the time. Second, your decision will be based upon location, personal relationships, and expectations.

Things I consider: 1) The two official BMW dealerships in my area are about a 50 to 60 minute minimum drive from where I live. 2) These BMW dealers ('main dealers') are very focused on their target owner & new customer groups. Their mechanics may care, and may be well-trained in current and newer vehicles, but the number of sixteen-year-old cars (like mine) which they service is small. 3) I enjoy wrenching, while I'm still able. 4) For jobs too risky, or too much work without a lift, I seek referrals on best shop(s). It helps that a friend's son was a BMW master mechanic before a career change, so he has opinions and connections for me. 5) This online forum is invaluable in keeping 'middle aged' vehicles like ours running and looking like much newer cars.

By the way, I found my coupe in Virginia, at a non-BMW dealer, included in my 'Z4 convertible' search, but listed as a 'hatchback'. I had an enjoyable 1,100 mile drive back to Minnesota
Z4Mariner
Minnesota, USA

2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, Montego Blue, MT

rdm05z4

2007 BMW Z4

Post by rdm05z4 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:33 pm

The only thing I can add is check out local BMW or BMW z clubs in your area. I am sure members can recommend a local shop to help. Or maybe a member or two will be willing to come over for a Weekend Wrench / spanner event to assist.
2005 3.0i Manual, Sterling Gray Metallic Sport suspension, heated seats, top line Business Cd radio
2007 Nissan Maxima -Silver-Auto
2009 VW Wolfsburg Jetta-Black-6sp manual

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

2007 BMW Z4

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:23 pm

I'm lucky as we have someone near us who opened up his own business a few years ago after 15 years in a BMW main dealer workshop so I use him all the time - as do a few other forum members!

Apart from being much cheaper than a main dealer I get the work done to the same standard by someone who has been working on my cars since they were new. I suspect there are plenty of mechanics in main dealers who are much less familiar with older models like mine.

That's the sort of business you could do with finding so hopefully other BMW owners in your area can help you with that.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

melcdreyer

2007 BMW Z4

Post by melcdreyer » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:18 am

Well I could go on for days about how this situation is unfolding but I’ll keep it short. The dealership I purchased the car from has agreed to make the repairs. It’s a big business and they have technicians there that work on foreign cars. That being said I spent the entire day there waiting while they replaced the oil pan gasket and replaced the solenoids. It’s about a 3 hour drive from my home to there in heavy traffic thus the reason for staying. They took it out for the first test drive, no issues, all seemed to be good. They let the car cool down, took it out for second test drive. The “check engine soon” light came back on. They came back and checked for fault codes and the same one came up again. 2A82 VANOS intake. They are now stumped and are going to run further diagnostics so I end up with a loaner and another 3 hour trip home still unresolved. Any ideas out there guys?

mcd :headbang: :!: :x

Z4Mariner

2007 BMW Z4

Post by Z4Mariner » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:58 am

Not sure what to tell you, but I found some suggestive links with a Google search for "BMW N52 2A82 VANOS intake error code".

A few of the threads specific to recurring 2A82 VANOS errors indicated that if a new VANOS solenoid and clean screens don't fix the issue, there could be problems with the encoding "ledge" or disk on the camshaft. Another suspect could be an ESS (Eccentric Shaft Sensor) problem - though I think this should manifest a little differently.

Hope they run this to ground for you soon ! It's so nice a car when running !
Z4Mariner
Minnesota, USA

2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, Montego Blue, MT

jock156

2007 BMW Z4

Post by jock156 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:20 am

Welcome aboard melcdreyer :thumbsup:

If you are on FB there is a group named “The Zed Society” which seems quite lively.

USA based, maybe they could point you in the direction of a good Indy garage 🤷🏼‍♂️

Good luck :D

Huz-z

2007 BMW Z4

Post by Huz-z » Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:18 pm

In North America, I would ask on:

https://www.zpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Lots of very knowledgeable folks there. Don’t give up on your car - I have a 2006 3.0si and these are wonderful cars. My car still gets compliments from folks who think it’s new or just a few years old.
BMW Z4 3.0SI Roadster. Montego Blue, Style 108 rims, power M seats, M Sport Wheel, Zenons, Bluetooth, Premium and Sport Packages