Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rain leaking into car

jamesgarbett

Rain leaking into car

Post by jamesgarbett » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:04 pm

When we had that cold spell a few weeks ago i noticed that as the ice thawed on the car roof i was getting a few drips inside the cabin either from near the windows or above the sun visors

Now things have warmed up a little the same thing is happening during wet weather

Could the cold temps have caused some seal to perish?
The car lives outside all year round

Anything else i can try to cure this and/or stop it getting worse? It's not major but I don't like the idea of water getting anywhere near the electrics/electronics
Z4 ‘13 20i Mineral Grey
Z4 '07 2.5Si Montego Blue

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Rain leaking into car

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:58 pm

Mine did exactly the same in the freezing weather, only above the sun visors though, where the roof clamps into the windscreen surround. I put it down to the ice pushing the rubber seals apart, then when the ice melts leaves a little gap. I washed the car with fairly warm water once all defrosted in the hope it expanded the seals again.
No more water so far.

If you are still having issues it may pay to clean all the rubber seals with a warm cloth and put some gummi pflege (or any silicone based stuff) on them.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Rain leaking into car

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:20 pm

Had the same thing with my Ford Transit above the windscreen as the frost thawed out while driving, I think it was from frozen condensation inside the roof defrosting and running through. Haven't been out in it since so can't say if it will happen again but first time in 5 years of owning it.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Jey

Rain leaking into car

Post by Jey » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:07 pm

I would recommend using Gummi pfege or similar rubber maintenance on all seals to keep them from leaking, doe our 3 convertibles every three months just to be on the safe side
E89 - s23i 2010 Saphire Black
18 inch alloys for comfort - Idrive, cruise, and lots of smiles per mile... :D