Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Aquaplaning!!

JAZZERT501

Aquaplaning!!

Post by JAZZERT501 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:22 am

I have been having some very scarey moments going through standing water , sometimes at speeds as low as 60 mph.
Usually at 70mph on the motorway, the car does a lot of squirming and needs a firm hand at the wheel to keep it straight.
Tyres and pressures all seem good, anyone have similar experiences?
My OH is not impressed and it's really putting her off the car.
It has 19 inch wheels,adaptive suspension in comfort mode, any tips on how to tame the beast.
Should I set it to adaptive or sport?
Or get 15 inch wheel with 165 tyres? :D
Just like the 1.0 Fiesta that whizzed past me on the motorway tonight! :D
2021 Z4 2.0 White with Pro Pack and I did download the £160 Auto Dip headlight option!

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Aquaplaning!!

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:14 am

Can’t say I’ve experienced anything like this except hitting pools of standing water at :tumbleweed: mph

How many miles have you done on current tyres/how many mm’s left? I know mine got more than a bit squirrelly when the tread dropped to around 3.5mm.

Only other thing I can think of is does your car have lane assist and if so is it switched on? I remember when I had one for my extended test drive and it had this on it felt like aquaplaning and needed constant input to keep the car right.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

StanDiego

Aquaplaning!!

Post by StanDiego » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:45 am

JAZZERT501 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:22 am I have been having some very scarey moments going through standing water , sometimes at speeds as low as 60 mph.
    Usually at 70mph on the motorway, the car does a lot of squirming and needs a firm hand at the wheel to keep it straight.
    Tyres and pressures all seem good, anyone have similar experiences?
    My OH is not impressed and it's really putting her off the car.
    It has 19 inch wheels,adaptive suspension in comfort mode, any tips on how to tame the beast.
    Should I set it to adaptive or sport?
    Or get 15 inch wheel with 165 tyres? :D
    Just like the 1.0 Fiesta that whizzed past me on the motorway tonight! :D
    The star Michelin tires are known to be tuned more for dry than wet but they shouldn't be hydroplaning unless the puddles are an inch or so at which point, yes, they can hydroplane on most tires. If you drive frequently in that situation, you should probably consider performance all season tires such as the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 or Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus.

P.S. Be sure to look at the full width of your tire. I've seen a couple of posts on other forums with the tire worn to the belt on the inside but with a lot of tread on the rest of the tire.
    2022 G29 s30i Black Sapphire Metallic / Magma Red / Shadowline / 799M Black spoke wheels "Darth ZEDer"

JAZZERT501

Aquaplaning!!

Post by JAZZERT501 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:51 am

Lane assist is off, that was way too dangerous the way it intervened!
    The car is on 10k plenty of tread on the tyres.
    The roads have been exceptionally wet,I can't say it has ever been a concern on any of my previous BM's,(330e n 520d both on 18 inch wheels.)
    It might be down to exceptional road conditions my drive to Edinburgh last night had multiple dodgy moments the same return journey had none as the road had dried out a lot.
    2021 Z4 2.0 White with Pro Pack and I did download the £160 Auto Dip headlight option!

mr wilks
    Legend
    Legend

Aquaplaning!!

Post by mr wilks » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:46 am

Tyres is the answer OP , do some study & buy the best tyre for driving the car 12 months of the year , ive recently taken PS4S off my M4 , it was lethal on cold wet bends & couldn't cope with any amount of standing water .
    Currently on Pilot Alpins which are more suitable for Lancashire life 9 months of the year but they aren't anywhere near as good as Nokian WR4 fitted to our F11 5 series .
    These are on all year round & don't change characteristics even in 30deg temps & contrary to popular belief do not wear faster with summer use , covered around 12k total in 2 years & still measuring 6-7mm .
    3 ZMRs
    3 E89s
    5 Si coupes
    5 Si roadsters
    997 C4
    TTRS
    F82 M4
    MK7 Golf Gti
    current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

B21
    Lifer
    Lifer
    Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Aquaplaning!!

Post by B21 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:53 am

Plenty of tread? It would be interesting to measure the actual depth across the widths of all 4 tyres..

Wide tyres like this will be prone to aquaplaning..on my E89 with almost the same widths at 4mm it already started to struggle a little..at 3mm it was getting my attention..at 2mm it was undriveable on really wet roads at speed..
    We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

buzyg
    Legend
    Legend

Aquaplaning!!

Post by buzyg » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:22 pm

JAZZERT501 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:51 am Lane assist is off, that was way too dangerous the way it intervened!
    The car is on 10k plenty of tread on the tyres.
    The roads have been exceptionally wet,I can't say it has ever been a concern on any of my previous BM's,(330e n 520d both on 18 inch wheels.)
    It might be down to exceptional road conditions my drive to Edinburgh last night had multiple dodgy moments the same return journey had none as the road had dried out a lot.
    10k on a set of tyres, on a performance car, is old tyres in my book. Definitely check them properly, they are almost certainly the issue here. If you haven't already then get yourself on a skid pan day too. Won't stop the aquaplaning, but it will help with the nerves. :driving:

I had a chap overtake me on the M74, in very wet conditions. A mile or so later on I hit some deep standing water. A few hundred yards later I was out of my car checking he was ok, sat in his wrecked car. He was fortunate.

JAZZERT501

Aquaplaning!!

Post by JAZZERT501 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:53 pm

Thanks for the helpful replies, as ever,I was planning on changing the tyres soon.Might need to move that forward !

bonzo

Aquaplaning!!

Post by bonzo » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:28 am

I replaced my worn PS4S with PS4s and noticed a huge difference in wet performance.

The car in general drives far better for me on the PS4s than the PS4Ss ever did.

ori

Aquaplaning!!

Post by ori » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:42 pm

Low profile wide tyres and hitting standing water is never a good thing.
    On heavy rain I slow right down for that exact reason. I read somewhere that once tyre tread is down to 3mm aquaplaning is a much bigger danger.