Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rod bearings after 57k miles

"M" Specific discussion
XMetal

Post by XMetal » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:58 am

buzyg wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:55 am Thanks for posting. If I get another S54 that is great data to have. :thumbsup:
I should have done oil analysis sooner since day 1, but I thought that our S54s were the latest and greatest iteration and should have all the rod bearing issue fixed, especially on my later march 2008 build - Boy was I wrong. I'm glad my paranoia got to me after reading all the bearing issues on the Z4Ms and finally caved and got my first oil analysis at 20k+ miles. You can imagine how my heart sank when I saw my first results! My theory is that BMW probably laxed a bit on their build specs on the Z4M S54 engines since I'm seeing more rod bearing wears on the Z4M than E46M3 (post rod bearing recall, of course).

For you data nerd, here are the analysis since the 2018 rod bearing change, including my last oil change 3 months ago. Wear in lead had nearly disappeared since the rod bearing job.
Attachments
MCoupe_Blackstone_2022.jpg
MCoupe_Blackstone_2022.jpg (169.75 KiB) Viewed 398 times
Last edited by XMetal on Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:03 am

XMetal wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:22 pm
buzyg wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:37 pm Why did you feel the need to do them at 54k?
Had a string of high lead readings on oil analysis since ~22k miles. Attached is the oil analysis back in 2018 right before I did my rod bearings.
Possibly the most interesting S54 oil / rod bearing reading ive seen in my forum years .
Raises a good few questions & at the same time backs up my own thoughts on the topic of when to change them & likelihood of failure in relation to mileage .
Whenever i see guys posting their pics of "shot " bearing shells i can't help but consider the wear could have been done at any time in the cars mileage ( as in this case fairly early on ) & that subsequent wear is minimal therefore a small chance of failure if the owner is treating the car as they should
IE max yearly or 7k oil changes - no cold high revving - oil always kept topped - no significanct tracktime

@XMetal
have you a record of what oil brand + spec you were using on the individual tests from 28k to 54k ?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

XMetal

Post by XMetal » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:43 pm

mr wilks wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:03 am @XMetal
have you a record of what oil brand + spec you were using on the individual tests from 28k to 54k ?
Yes - If you look at the original oil analysis that I've posted, look toward the bottom of the first section will show what oil and additives. I've mostly used the OE Castrol 10W60, but since I've started seeing the higher lead wear, I've decided to try different viscosity and various additives to test out everyone's theory that I've came across regarding this topic over the years (I'm an engineer, so I like concrete data vs just "theory"). Since seeing the high strings of lead, I knew that I had to do my bearings sooner or later, so not much harm in trying out various things. As you can see from the analysis that nothing really helped. This lead me to believe that the original bearings probably didn't get installed (torqued) down properly from the factory - probably BMW didn't put their top techs building the later engines or they just let their torquing equipment go out of specs? Since the rod bearing change, I've only use LiquiMoly 10w60 and Castrol 10w60 - no difference in wear.

I have no track time on the car. Car doesn't get past 3.5k until oil is fully warmed up (I live in Southern California, so weathers are mostly in the 70s F to 90s F year round) - can't blame the 10W60 getting properly up to temp. My oil change interval is annual since I don't drive that much, but the last change was 1.5 years since I've only driven it around 3k miles - can't blame the lack of service. The car doesn't consume a drop of oil up to this date. My driving habit hasn't changed over the years, so...can't say that I've treated the car any differently pre/post bearing change.
Attachments
OilType.jpg
OilType.jpg (83.16 KiB) Viewed 327 times

rocket70

Post by rocket70 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:12 pm

TomK wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:35 pm
pvr wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:20 pm Can you get oil analysis in the UK? Seems very much a USA thing
Not really, lots of places in europe.
For the uk Millers is popular.
https://www.millersoils.co.uk/oil-analysis/
We have oil analysed from our Standby Generators and our our screw compressors (chillers) annually.
I will find out the companies they use.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:25 pm

XMetal wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:43 pm
mr wilks wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:03 am @XMetal
Yes - If you look at the original oil analysis that I've posted, look toward the bottom of the first section will show what oil and additives. I've mostly used the OE Castrol 10W60, but since I've started seeing the higher lead wear, I've decided to try different viscosity and various additives to test out everyone's theory that I've came across regarding this topic over the years (I'm an engineer, so I like concrete data vs just "theory"). Since seeing the high strings of lead, I knew that I had to do my bearings sooner or later, so not much harm in trying out various things. As you can see from the analysis that nothing really helped. This lead me to believe that the original bearings probably didn't get installed (torqued) down properly from the factory - probably BMW didn't put their top techs building the later engines or they just let their torquing equipment go out of specs? Since the rod bearing change, I've only use LiquiMoly 10w60 and Castrol 10w60 - no difference in wear.

I have no track time on the car. Car doesn't get past 3.5k until oil is fully warmed up (I live in Southern California, so weathers are mostly in the 70s F to 90s F year round) - can't blame the 10W60 getting properly up to temp. My oil change interval is annual since I don't drive that much, but the last change was 1.5 years since I've only driven it around 3k miles - can't blame the lack of service. The car doesn't consume a drop of oil up to this date. My driving habit hasn't changed over the years, so...can't say that I've treated the car any differently pre/post bearing change.
Thanks , just for clarity i wasn't suggesting you had anything to do with the shells being like they are , i actually beieve many cars incurred the wear very early on for a variety of reasons & can go on to cover 100k + without issues or further wear , i don't believe for a minute that when shell pics a re posted the wear has happened in the last 1000 miles .
Are you now running Millers oil since rebuild ? I have had 3 x 911s & through those ownerships realised that not all oil is the same despite having the same numbers & will only ever use Millers in whatever cars i own .
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

XMetal

Post by XMetal » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:00 pm

No worries mr wilks, I wasn't saying that you were. Just that I've heard so many stating various speculating causes, from long service intervals to beating on the car prior to proper warm up are the causes of premature bearing wear or even that premature bearing wear is a total myth altogether.

No one (that I know of) uses Millers in the States. I'm liking the results that I currently seeing with LiquiMoly and Castrol, so I'm going to stick with either one of those. Plus it's easier to get those than Millers here.