Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

overheating and oil level error, linked?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Bujon

Post by Bujon » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:38 pm

Would anyone know if the electronic oil level reading stating "error" would be linked to an overheating issue?

I had the waterpump replaced about 12,000 miles ago on 2006 3.0si auto, and expect it has failed again.

However interestingly I topped up engine oil yesterday and wife took the car out today only to call me to say she had broken down. When I hold down the dash button to get oil level it now reads "error".

Would a faulty oil level sensor cause the waterpump to stop working?

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:43 pm

How have you accounted for not over-filling?
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Bujon

Post by Bujon » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:12 pm

I only added 700-800ml at most, so am ruling out catastrophic over fill given it was serviced 1000miles ago. I was just wondering whether a faulty oil level sensor could cause the overheating in any way? I suspect I have another failed waterpump, and the sensor has failed as a coincidence. Or is it possible a failed waterpump would cause the oil sensor level to read error?

Bujon

Post by Bujon » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:50 pm

Okay so UPDATE. Got the car running and then removed the waterpump connector, then ran the oil level check and all was fine, showed smack on full and OK. So oil level sensor is not working due to the thermostat/waterpump failing, not the other way around. Strangely drove for 5 mins and the heaters started blowing hot air, which it wasn't previously. Just going to replace the waterpump and t/stat again and hope it solves the issue.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:05 pm

Bujon wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:50 pm Okay so UPDATE. Got the car running and then removed the waterpump connector, then ran the oil level check and all was fine, showed smack on full and OK. So oil level sensor is not working due to the thermostat/waterpump failing, not the other way around. Strangely drove for 5 mins and the heaters started blowing hot air, which it wasn't previously. Just going to replace the waterpump and t/stat again and hope it solves the issue.
What codes are you getting?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Bujon

Post by Bujon » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:12 am

No codes, just on trial and error