Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rocker cover gasket problems

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:08 pm

patriot66 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:20 pm
Chris_D wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:35 pm Quite a few of us on here have been through the vcg replacement malarchy.
I discovered mine was leaky after purchasing and with support/help from forum members I decided to tackle it, as well as quite a few other jobs.
One tip I would impart is to make sure that if your vcg was 'baked on' and brittle as mine was, that you make sure every single piece is accounted for if it shatters and goes flying all over the show. Took me ages to locate a small piece that had flown off into the exhaust cam gallery.
viewtopic.php?t=90194&hilit=gasket&start=75
Speaking from personal experience, if you hold the nozzle of a Henry vacuum cleaner (or similar) as close as possible to the portion of gasket you are removing then there is much less chance of errant pieces disappearing where they shouldn't :) :thumbsup:
In an ideal world and with 2 pairs of hands maybe, however in my case it was a chunk from one of the spark plug gaskets, so no chance of getting any sort of catch device to that location while prising the cover off.
Best practice would be to fit all the pieces of a brittle gasket back together like a jigsaw puzzle once removed in order to account for complete removal of any errant bits, especially if you suspect a bit has escaped into the top end somewhere.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:26 pm

I'll add to the fragility point-

inevitably the old gasket also sticks in the valve cover- so when prying it out be careful to not damage the actual cover. I have and it means a new cover otherwise you introduce new air leaks!
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me