Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery choice

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Jasonn

Battery choice

Post by Jasonn » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:53 pm

Evening all,

I took the Zed out earlier after a few days rest and when starting her up, had a power steering warning and the idrive screen only opened up half way, stopped and started it and the light went out but the screen opened 3/4 of the way, so I'm guessing that my battery is on the way out (June 2016 car with the N20 engine, which I bought in November 2019, I got it from a trader and looking at the history it seemed to be a pcp vehicle with stealer service history).

Looking through the forum, odd lights are an indicator that the battery could be the cause (I've also noted that the stop start doesn't work either but I know with my wife's X3 won't work if the temp difference between inside and outside is too great).

Thought I'd change the battery as its clearly over 5 years (44k on the clock). AA had a discount so looked at the bosch ones which they recommended but looking at Eurocarparts, they're not suitable for stop start cars so now I'm a little concerned,one battery in particular a little smaller). Looked on a few other sites and they vary from saying I need a lead acid or AGM. Thought I'd head into the boot and look at what is there now - it's the original 80a BMW one with a white case and other Internet sources say that BMW use black cases for their AGM batteries with white reserved for conventional wet batteries.

Question is do I need an AGM or will a lead acid/wet battery with start stop be OK?

I've got Bimmercode so I'll download bimmerlink to register it

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Battery choice

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:02 pm

I don't know for sure but when my 123d with stop/start needed a new battery everyone I asked said it needed an AGM battery that would have to be coded after replacement so I suspect you'll need the same. Sadly mine didn't last 5 years though. :(

As AGM batteries are much closer in price to normal ones these days, I'd just go for AGM anyway.
Last edited by Mr Tidy on Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Battery choice

Post by Pondrew » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:02 pm

Jasonn wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:53 pm Question is do I need an AGM or will a lead acid/wet battery with start stop be OK?
AGM are lead acid.
Absorbent Glass Mat is what AGM stands for. But yes, AGM is the weapon of choice on an E89. There are loads of threads about them; one just a few days ago. :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Jasonn

Battery choice

Post by Jasonn » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:07 pm

Thanks for this, I used the term lead acid/wet as a way to try a differentiate between the others and AGM as they used terms like "calcium frame".

I did try the search (I'm not that lazy but couldn't find it - I'll give it a spin).

Bit worried about the AA recommendation though

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Battery choice

Post by Smartbear » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:43 pm

Jasonn wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:07 pm Thanks for this, I used the term lead acid/wet as a way to try a differentiate between the others and AGM as they used terms like "calcium frame".

I did try the search (I'm not that lazy but couldn't find it - I'll give it a spin).

Bit worried about the AA recommendation though
Don’t forget it needs registration with the e89 models :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Battery choice

Post by Pondrew » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:53 pm

viewtopic.php?t=138843

Try this one! :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Jasonn

Battery choice

Post by Jasonn » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:29 am

Pondrew wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:53 pm viewtopic.php?t=138843

Try this one! :thumbsup:
Thanks for this - interesting that Halfords seem to badge engineer a Yuasa battery - I just got given a halfords voucher as a birthday pressie from my colleagues, so that'll help (benefit of working in a office with women - they remember birthdays and always have problems choosing "boy stuff" - their words)

Jasonn

Battery choice

Post by Jasonn » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:03 pm

I've just pulled the trigger on the halfords/Yuasa battery and it's being fitted on Saturday so they will code it at home.

Used my gift voucher and apparently my employer also has a discount code for halfords - delivery, supply and fit the 80a battery totalled £115 with 5 year guarantee - not bad for the peace of mind especially with the cold weather coming in :)

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Battery choice

Post by flybobbie » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:59 pm

I had the same Halfords battery, 6 years old still going strong.
But i did recently change it, just to be safe for a Varta. Not a good choice, the terminal diameters are a bit to small for the BMW clamps.
I just broke one clamp bolt, stupid design.