Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Aftermarket Steering Wheels

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
TomK

Post by TomK » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:04 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:48 pm Yeah does look like it - it does surprise me though so many cars have aftermarket wheels still these days and seemingly have no issues?
I don't think I see many, but it's a 10 min job max to switch wheels come testing time. Not sure how insurance would go in event of a serious claim though if found with a wheel that wouldn't have passed mot.
Ed Doe wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:48 pm Christ I do wonder if it's worth the hassle at this point.
Just speak to your mot place and see what they say?
Ed Doe wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:48 pm My Shoulder belt eyelets have been drilled vertically through the floor of the 'storage compartment' behind the seats, or where the speaker is if you have (or had in your case :lol: ) the upgraded audio. The eyelets are bolted through FIA backing plates so should be good if the worst came to the worst. Thanks for the heads-up and the concern though, appreciate it! :)
Good, sounds well enough. In my original installation we did something similar (they went through the rea of the sub enclosure and plates on the back of the bulkhead) and the shop that did it wasn't particularly happy about it, backing plates can be as strong as you like but when they rip through the sheet metal you'd probably wish they were softer!
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:34 am

Oh yeah I know it's a super easy job - done it a few times on previous cars - but as you say in the event of a serious accident I'd really rather not be in that awkward legal grey area.

I'll definitely be checking with my MOT tester - will keep this thread updated for interest if it's something anyone else is thinking of doing (doesn't sound much like it though!)

I think the area where the plates/eye-bolts are located on mine is fairly strong/thick ? Either way you do make a good point - another thing to check out at some point!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(