Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Turn off headlight washers…

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:31 am

Also only use bottled water.
Our tap water not chlorinated and notice tap water mold forms around taps.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:03 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:24 am what's wrong with you lot??
You want the full list, or just the top ten? :poke: :lol: :lol:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:23 am

AnubisZed wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:41 pm Unplug the headlamp washer pump! :thumbsup:

But why? It's there because you have Zenon headlamps so it cleans the lenses.
This seems like the easiest option…

Why?…. I like to keep my Zed very clean, and I don’t like water marks left all over the place. :thumbsup:
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:23 pm

True-Blue wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:23 am
AnubisZed wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:41 pm Unplug the headlamp washer pump! :thumbsup:

Why?…. I like to keep my Zed very clean, and I don’t like water marks left all over the place. :thumbsup:
But you'd be spraying the windscreen at the same time anyway! So that'll be all over the roof, rear screen and side screens anyway, but you're concerned about some on the bonnet as well :driving:
Don't get me wrong, it's your car and you do what you want, obviously, but the logic behind it doesn't add up :?
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:27 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:23 pm
True-Blue wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:23 am

But you'd be spraying the windscreen at the same time anyway! So that'll be all over the roof, rear screen and side screens anyway, but you're concerned about some on the bonnet as well :driving:
Don't get me wrong, it's your car and you do what you want, obviously, but the logic behind it doesn't add up :?
I mainly have the roof down, but I get what you’re saying

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:24 pm

The bonnet is hot - the fluid gets baked on. Headlight washers do absolutely nothing anyhow, just waste your screen wash at a silly rate. My windscreen washers are adjusted so they only hit the windscreen. I don't even get any on the bonnet!

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:20 pm

Rockhopper wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:24 pm The bonnet is hot - the fluid gets baked on...
:rofl:
I'm sorry but I don't normally criticise anything members say here, but that is the most utter load of crap I've ever read here. Under what bloody condition are you running your Z in? If your bonnet is getting that hot that it "bakes" the fluid on, you've got more than a washer fluid issue.
Dave

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:10 pm

Ok, didn’t think this would be a contentious subject…

Some of us don’t like headlight washers and don’t think they’re particularly effective. Clearly legislation is going that way too, with no testing required on 2009 or earlier cars.

I don’t like spraying washer fluid randomly all over the front of my car, which is what happens if the headlight washers operate whilst travelling at any kind of speed.

Thanks for the input

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:49 pm

True-Blue wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:10 pm Ok, didn’t think this would be a contentious subject…

Some of us don’t like headlight washers and don’t think they’re particularly effective. Clearly legislation is going that way too, with no testing required on 2009 or earlier cars.

I don’t like spraying washer fluid randomly all over the front of my car, which is what happens if the headlight washers operate whilst travelling at any kind of speed.

Thanks for the input
The original idea was to prevent the extra heat generated by Xenon headlights creating an issue with filthy lenses (for legislated reasons, not the earlier version just for cleaning), hence the squirt to try to keep them clean. Over the years there have been many attempts to get the headlights clean with a few different ideas, but most have just disappeared over time.
Saying that, you are correct that they aren't all that affective, even more so if you increase the time level between affective squirts of the washers. As for "all over the front of the car", you are right as mine goes everywhere, but that is mainly because of the pressure involved (a lot more than the windscreen ones).
At the end of the day we are all different and we do what is important to ourselves :thumbsup:
Dave

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:44 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:49 pm The original idea was to prevent the extra heat generated by Xenon headlights creating an issue with filthy lenses (for legislated reasons, not the earlier version just for cleaning), hence the squirt to try to keep them clean. Over the years there have been many attempts to get the headlights clean with a few different ideas, but most have just disappeared over time.
Saying that, you are correct that they aren't all that affective, even more so if you increase the time level between affective squirts of the washers. As for "all over the front of the car", you are right as mine goes everywhere, but that is mainly because of the pressure involved (a lot more than the windscreen ones).
At the end of the day we are all different and we do what is important to ourselves
I used to love the little wipers on 'posh' cars' headlights, like Rolls' and '70s BMs. Never seen any actually functioning, though, as they seemed to break after the first week and were too complicated to fix! :lol:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:20 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:44 pm
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:49 pm The original idea was to prevent the extra heat generated by Xenon headlights creating an issue with filthy lenses (for legislated reasons, not the earlier version just for cleaning), hence the squirt to try to keep them clean. Over the years there have been many attempts to get the headlights clean with a few different ideas, but most have just disappeared over time.
At the end of the day we are all different and we do what is important to ourselves
I used to love the little wipers on 'posh' cars' headlights, like Rolls' and '70s BMs. Never seen any actually functioning, though, as they seemed to break after the first week and were too complicated to fix! :lol:

https://hubnut.org/2015/01/30/the-wonde ... mp-wipers/

Thank me later… shame the SAAB isn’t the Turbo :wink:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:41 pm

True-Blue wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:20 pm Thank me later… shame the SAAB isn’t the Turbo
Wiper heaven. :thumbsup: I wonder if any lasted long enough to have to change the blades? :?

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:55 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:20 pm
Rockhopper wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:24 pm The bonnet is hot - the fluid gets baked on...
:rofl:
I'm sorry but I don't normally criticise anything members say here, but that is the most utter load of crap I've ever read here. Under what bloody condition are you running your Z in? If your bonnet is getting that hot that it "bakes" the fluid on, you've got more than a washer fluid issue.
Of course the bonnet is hot - its got a chuffing great engine under it with no sound insulation like many cars have as well to help absorb the heat. Just feel it after a good run and you'll see. Certainly hot enough to dry excess screen wash and leave deposits behind.