Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sound insulation

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
Maddo6659

Sound insulation

Post by Maddo6659 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:20 am

Has anyone added additional sound insulation? I do long journeys in my zed, next major trip is a roadtrip to Italy with my soon to be wife, was wondering about adding sound insulation to make it quieter whilst cruising. After that, the obligatory 'make the exhaust loder but only whilst I'm in sports car not gt car driver mode. Considering a bypass valve connected to the sports switch for that.
'56 Coupe in montego blue. Or 'Herr Zippy Von Blaupunkt' as I prefer. :thumbsup:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Sound insulation

Post by Chris_D » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:02 pm

I placed sound insulation panels into the door cavities when I replaced one of the door membranes.
Made the doors sound less tinny/hollow when closing and significantly reduced road noise at all speeds.

As to preventing/reducing drone from a modded/ straight-piped exhaust no amount of sound-deadening material will help you there as it's caused by resonance and will just reverberate throughout the entire chassis.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Sound insulation

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:45 pm

Maddo6659 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:20 am Has anyone added additional sound insulation?
Write up on adding sound deadening to the doors is at viewtopic.php?f=31&t=53812
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Sound insulation

Post by mr.tourette » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:16 pm

I've just done a job in the porker doors, rear section of the cabin,boot floor, engine covers etc as it generates a lot of tyre noise, its pretty easy if you take your time and just do sections at a time, did mine over 3 sundays a few hours at a time using silent coat
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Maddo6659

Sound insulation

Post by Maddo6659 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:46 pm

Brilliant, when you say porker, pressure Porsche? Very nice! Porker 718/911 or bimmer 8 is the only thing is swap the coupe for I think. Silent coat? I'll give them a Google and look see. Thank You, was it a case of cutting paper templates and test and adjust? I've tried using a dB meter app in various locations to see where most of the noise is coming from. I have so many grand plans but as always, time and money!
'56 Coupe in montego blue. Or 'Herr Zippy Von Blaupunkt' as I prefer. :thumbsup: