Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2003 E85 Issue starting engine

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
edharly

Post by edharly » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:33 pm

I have a 2003 E85. It has only 39K miles. Looks really clean and has no issues except the automatic top and driver door power lock. I purchased it a little less than a year ago. The starter sounded really sluggish when I got it so I had the battery replaced. The starting sounded stronger for a few months, and then began to sound weak and sluggish again. That continued for a few months and ultimately it began to make a repeating clicking noise when the ignition is turned and after several clicks/5 seconds ultimately then turns the starter and the engine starts. I then had the starter replaced. Everything went well for six weeks and now I'm back to the clicking noise. I don't drive it daily, but it is my main/only car and I put at least 160 miles per week on it driving to work and back. This is really frustrating. Any ideas? Thank you.

Drunkpanda42

Post by Drunkpanda42 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:22 pm

First thought would be the alternator is not charging properly, but would recommend getting an auto electrician to check it over. Could also be a power drain somewhere
You could also fit a trickle/solar charger when you aren’t driving it to keep the battery topped up.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:24 pm

I'd take a guess that the alternator isn't charging the battery fully. Put a multimeter across the battery terminals and it should read approx 12v at rest and approx 14v with engine running :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

edharly

Post by edharly » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:41 pm

Thanks all!

edharly

Post by edharly » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:04 pm

patriot66 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:24 pm I'd take a guess that the alternator isn't charging the battery fully. Put a multimeter across the battery terminals and it should read approx 12v at rest and approx 14v with engine running :thumbsup:
Thank you!

colb

Post by colb » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:57 pm

Starter motors on the Z4 can fail without any advance warning, had this with my 2.5. A couple of blows with a hammer shocked it back into life but after a few test starts it failed completly. Replacement sorted that ok. Since you have already replaced yours then agree with the others test what the alternator is putting out with the engine running, voltmeter on the battery terminals you should be seeing 14volts if the alternator is producing enough to charge the battery and keep the car running. Battery condition is also a factor so that will need checking as well. Could be a duff cell in the battery preventing it getting fully charged.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

edharly

Post by edharly » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:37 am

colb wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:57 pm Starter motors on the Z4 can fail without any advance warning, had this with my 2.5. A couple of blows with a hammer shocked it back into life but after a few test starts it failed completly. Replacement sorted that ok. Since you have already replaced yours then agree with the others test what the alternator is putting out with the engine running, voltmeter on the battery terminals you should be seeing 14volts if the alternator is producing enough to charge the battery and keep the car running. Battery condition is also a factor so that will need checking as well. Could be a duff cell in the battery preventing it getting fully charged.
Thank you

pilch

Post by pilch » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:13 am

colb wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:57 pm Starter motors on the Z4 can fail without any advance warning, had this with my 2.5. A couple of blows with a hammer shocked it back into life but after a few test starts it failed completly. Replacement sorted that ok. Since you have already replaced yours then agree with the others test what the alternator is putting out with the engine running, voltmeter on the battery terminals you should be seeing 14volts if the alternator is producing enough to charge the battery and keep the car running. Battery condition is also a factor so that will need checking as well. Could be a duff cell in the battery preventing it getting fully charged.
Yes they do fail without warning, mine did the other day! All replaced as starts beautifully again 8)