Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

protecting my stubby

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

protecting my stubby

Post by MikeyH » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:03 am

mmm-five wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:10 pm How about engineering the f**k out of it and using a hinge with neodymium magnets, so you can flick it up & down as you need.

Maybe take it even further and invent some method of retracting it into the wing on ignition off?
Sounds ace but what the hell is a ‘neodymium magnet ‘? :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

protecting my stubby

Post by MikeyH » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:07 am

Perhaps if you turned the car upside down and put the cover over the underside, now the top, there wouldn’t be a problem as now the aerial is underneath and now protected. Job done :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

protecting my stubby

Post by mmm-five » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:52 pm

MikeyH wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:03 am
mmm-five wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:10 pm How about engineering the f**k out of it and using a hinge with neodymium magnets, so you can flick it up & down as you need.

Maybe take it even further and invent some method of retracting it into the wing on ignition off?
Sounds ace but what the hell is a ‘neodymium magnet ‘? :thumbsup:
It's a very strong rare-earth magnet, so you only need a small one to do the work of an old iron one. Can be bought online, or can also be found (in strange shapes) in HDDs.

It's what they use (in much larger sizes) for 'scrap fishing' in canals to lift out 100kg loads.

Just don't let them snap together as they'll shatter, or get your skin caught between two as you'll draw blood.
IMG_5938.jpg
IMG_5938.jpg (205.84 KiB) Viewed 436 times
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Sidewaze Samm

protecting my stubby

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:17 pm

Yes, unscrewing it is the obvious option. But it is very tight and I have tried - but I daren't try any harder. What I meant by saying faffing around really - probably should have been more specific.
But thanks for the suggestions and I'll look at the tap cover, though suspect it's a bit on the large side. I've only got a small one :(
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

protecting my stubby

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:39 pm

Sidewaze Samm wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:17 pm Yes, unscrewing it is the obvious option. But it is very tight and I have tried - but I daren't try any harder. What I meant by saying faffing around really - probably should have been more specific.
But thanks for the suggestions and I'll look at the tap cover, though suspect it's a bit on the large side. I've only got a small one :(
Ah fair enough.
Could have saved two pages of people saying unscrew it. :poke: :D :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

protecting my stubby

Post by MikeyH » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:37 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:39 pm
Sidewaze Samm wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:17 pm Yes, unscrewing it is the obvious option. But it is very tight and I have tried - but I daren't try any harder. What I meant by saying faffing around really - probably should have been more specific.
Ah fair enough.
Could have saved two pages of people saying unscrew it. :poke: :D :D
:rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:

Sidewaze Samm

protecting my stubby

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:38 pm

MikeyH wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:37 pm Could have saved two pages of people saying unscrew it. :poke: :D :D
but then we wouldn't have learned about neodymium magnets...
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

Griffo46

protecting my stubby

Post by Griffo46 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:05 pm

Get a ping pong ball or tennis ball, drill a hole and pop it on over the aerial. Or just take it off.
2007 3.0si Roadster Stratus Grey/ Red Leather
2016 520d F10 M Sport Space Grey

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

protecting my stubby

Post by mmm-five » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:05 pm

Anyway, I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned that their stubby auto-retracts when it gets cold :P
Trigger’s Z4MC

DMike

protecting my stubby

Post by DMike » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:19 pm

mmm-five wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:05 pm Anyway, I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned that their stubby auto-retracts when it gets cold :P
Once you made that analogy, unlike the exhibitionistic approaches suggested, wouldn’t a floppy stubby solve the problem of stubby poking?
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

protecting my stubby

Post by mmm-five » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:48 pm

DMike wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:19 pm
mmm-five wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:05 pm Anyway, I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned that their stubby auto-retracts when it gets cold :P
Once you made that analogy, unlike the exhibitionistic approaches suggested, wouldn’t a floppy stubby solve the problem of stubby poking?
It would indeed. Just have to find a stubby antenna made out of material that shrinks when cold!
Trigger’s Z4MC

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

protecting my stubby

Post by MikeyH » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:02 pm

Or go back to one of the retractable electric ones of old. :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

protecting my stubby

Post by ronk » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:56 pm

Go to a Building Site and get a 150mm length if scaffolding protector tube and just slip it over the stump.

Can’t see anything more simple or cheaper!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

protecting my stubby

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:27 pm

How's about this?
Attachments
Sandee-Black-Thai-Metal-Groin-Guard.jpg
Sandee-Black-Thai-Metal-Groin-Guard.jpg (136.63 KiB) Viewed 271 times
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

protecting my stubby

Post by MikeyH » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:18 am

Get some playdoe, they sell it on Amazon in tubs. Take off the lid, empty the contents, make a little sculpture out of it or throw it in the bin. Whatever. Then turn the tub upside down and put it over the aerial. Hey presto, job done. :thumbsup: