Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery recommendation E89 2015 UK-based

tonyg

Post by tonyg » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:57 pm

I am based in the UK. Am looking for a good recommendation for my E89 2015. I will be using it most weekdays, both summer and winter, typically 10 miles each work to work along a dual carriageway. Kept outside overnight. Every now and then it will be unused for a week or so when I'm away.
Any suggestions appreciated - Thank you.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:32 pm

tonyg wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:57 pm I am based in the UK. Am looking for a good recommendation for my E89 2015. I will be using it most weekdays, both summer and winter, typically 10 miles each work to work along a dual carriageway. Kept outside overnight. Every now and then it will be unused for a week or so when I'm away.
Any suggestions appreciated - Thank you.
Varta 70 ah AGM from Tayna is a low effort option..

Yuasa, Exide, Bosch are all tier 1 options…some people seem to have had issues with Bosch..I use Varta in all my cars…I have an 80ah in the E89 because you can…I’m planning to add lots of electric goodies..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

tonyg

Post by tonyg » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:36 pm

Thank you B21 for your reply - very useful and appreciated.

Presumably something like the following 80mAh Varta would be good and the fact that it says it's for Stop-Start wouldn't matter? :
https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/car-br ... d%5B%5D=26

I have to say I took it to 2 garages to test the battery today. Halfords connected up some kit to the battery and 10 secs later passed me a slip saying the battery needed replacing. I then took it to ATS Euromaster who connected some kit in the bonnet and said that both the battery was fine and the alternator is charging ...but my battery power may not be keeping up my battery usage - I travel 2 x 10 mile journey's a day mainly on the dual carriageway, though obviously it's winter at the moment!

(My symptoms are my battery warning light going on a couple of time this last couple of weeks, which then seems to cause a couple of other warning lights subsequently to go on.)

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:06 pm

If it's purely drainage vs charging, it would be a lot cheaper to buy a smart charger and put that on, say on a Saturday or Sunday..?

If it is the above buying a £200 new battery won't stop it doing the same in a few weeks.

BMWs are not the greatest with low battery levels. They just don't understand anything less than 99% charge, so tend to go AWOL. :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:37 pm

I bought an Exide 70Ah AGM battery for my current E86 from Tayna in April 2021 for £105 delivered and it has been fine.

I took the car out last Sunday after 4 weeks sitting idle ( :oops: ) but it fired up easily.

Unless you have something drawing current on your car, sitting for a week now and again shouldn't be a problem.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:19 pm

tonyg wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:36 pm Thank you B21 for your reply - very useful and appreciated.

Presumably something like the following 80mAh Varta would be good and the fact that it says it's for Stop-Start wouldn't matter? :

I have to say I took it to 2 garages to test the battery today. Halfords connected up some kit to the battery and 10 secs later passed me a slip saying the battery needed replacing. I then took it to ATS Euromaster who connected some kit in the bonnet and said that both the battery was fine and the alternator is charging ...but my battery power may not be keeping up my battery usage - I travel 2 x 10 mile journey's a day mainly on the dual carriageway, though obviously it's winter at the moment!

(My symptoms are my battery warning light going on a couple of time this last couple of weeks, which then seems to cause a couple of other warning lights subsequently to go on.)

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/f21/

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/e39/

I’d go for one of these babies…pls check final details

What is the date of your current battery? There should be a stamping on one of the poles..

The alternator may well be charging but the E89 is very very sensitive to a good battery..I’d say 95%+ of people who ruminate about the battery are proved correct when they get a new battery,..

As was posted if your duty cycle is poor then the battery will get worn down..on the other hand a good fully charged battery should go at least 6 weeks and still start the car..

Many do put their Zeds on float chargers and/or use a trickle charger periodically…
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:43 am

A battery charger can't revitalize a 10 year old battery. The marketing speech sounds good like a tale, but ...

Just get it replaced with a new one with standard 70Ah AGM (i.e. Varta E39). No need to increase the capacity to 80Ah, as this costs more and will age as well in the next decade.

Registering the new one would be nice, but is absolutely uncritical if not. It only resets an internal statistic of the DME with a recommendation for the next(!) replacement in 10 years. :D
Have a look at my summary =>
https://www-zroadster-com.translate.goo ... st-3488334
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:23 pm

tonyg wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:36 pm Thank you B21 for your reply - very useful and appreciated.

Your 2015 2litre car should be stop/start? My 2013 20i is :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:36 pm

Just posted new thread regards Varta battery lugs are too small diameter for the clamps.

My previous battery was Halfords labelled Yuasa AGM, never had any problems with that.