Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof, sorry another one

Jey

Roof, sorry another one

Post by Jey » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:43 pm

Hi Guys, Ive had several z's over the years and have just bought an e89 (2010), 2.3. Low miles and very good condition, amazing bit of kit. First thing I did was to check everything over, and good job. The boot has a little water in the battery well. So, checked to identify the cause and found the drivers side boot seal wasn't fitted correctly so have fixed that. Next, remove the battery and cleared all of the water. Drove for a few hours then the close roof button/light came on and the dreaded bong of doom followed. Touched the close roof button and all windows went down. Duh, on a very cold day too...
Anyway, drove home, couldn't put the windows up or access the boot/Trunk. switched off and left it for 30 minutes then started it putting the windows up and opening the boot.

Now, the light / fault comes back on within a minute - fault code is 00A690 according to carly. Given there was water in the boot, and given I've moved the pump/wiring while clearing up before the fault occurred my assumption is there is something in the boot space around the bottom of the pump shorting out - Thoughts?

Secondly, given the hall sensors are on the drivers side and the water ingress is on the drivers side that could also be the issue? BE a coincidence if that just happened to occur after I've cleaned up the boot though..
So, anyone tell me where the affect sensor lives? or can you shed any light the will help me investigate?

Thank you in advance guys...
E89 - s23i 2010 Saphire Black
18 inch alloys for comfort - Idrive, cruise, and lots of smiles per mile... :D

Jey

Roof, sorry another one

Post by Jey » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:49 pm

Ok, so now that my eyes are bleeding - Ive read probably every post on here re leaks, i think ive a good idea of what needs sorting out.

Since no one replied directly to my request for help I will say this,THANK YOU to all those who've previously posted on these topics, weather the issue was yours or you helped find solutions for someone else - absolutely fantastic, a mine of useful information and I am extremely grateful. You know who you are :)

The drivers side microswitch - 690 - ordered both sides from BMW
The drivers side seal has lifted (the one under the two screws new the rear window) and ill re seal that.
Replace both rear lens gaskets, now ordered from BMW- neither show water ingress in the lights but worth doing anyway.
Both qtr panel air vents were changed in 2011 per the recall, however, ill recheck them to be certain.
Remove and clean / dry foams and place all electrical components in water proof bags - same in the drivers qtr
Remove the trunk seal and check, resealing as necessary (its in pretty good condition, no rips or tears
Top up the pump fluid ordered Febi 02615 (=ZHM/BMW M54.34.0.394.395)
check brass screw seals on the pump and replace as necessary - looks like its lost come fluid, its just over half full
Ive treated all seals with Gumi
Ive removed all visible water, driven around a roundabout to force as much out as possible from the chassis
Once this is completed, ill place tissue around all seals to check for further water ingress

So, once i complete this ill have a very good view of any other issues, at least i know the answers will be in here somewhere - great resource

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Roof, sorry another one

Post by Pondrew » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:59 pm

Hi.
Just remember water in the bottom of the boot (trunk) could come from underneath, not just above. :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Roof, sorry another one

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:18 pm

Hi key, if you’ve not already done this whilst in there check the dates on the salmon relays and if original change as a preventative measure :thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?t=133104&hilit=Salmon

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

RobbiZ4

Roof, sorry another one

Post by RobbiZ4 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:38 pm

Jey wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:43 pm Now, the light / fault comes back on within a minute - fault code is 00A690 according to carly.
    This message is for the "Microswitch, rear-end module closed, left". Several threads here. I recommend to replace these MS on both sides as a preemptive maintenance task!

No. #3 on:
    viewtopic.php?t=130932
    Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
    :ant:
    E89 Roof Maintenance
    viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
    viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Jey

Roof, sorry another one

Post by Jey » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:04 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:59 pm Hi.
    Just remember water in the bottom of the boot (trunk) could come from underneath, not just above. :thumbsup:
    Really, underneath, where? or do you mean the side air vents?

Jey

Roof, sorry another one

Post by Jey » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:05 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:18 pm Hi key, if you’ve not already done this whilst in there check the dates on the salmon relays and if original change as a preventative measure :thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?t=133104&hilit=Salmon
    yes, thank you, first thing i changed 16.50 from the local BMW. read the horror stories on here and called straight away, the originals have a 21 date but thought why not..

Jey

Roof, sorry another one

Post by Jey » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:07 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:38 pm
    Jey wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:43 pm Now, the light / fault comes back on within a minute - fault code is 00A690 according to carly.
    This message is for the "Microswitch, rear-end module closed, left". Several threads here. I recommend to replace these MS on both sides as a preemptive maintenance task!

No. #3 on:
    viewtopic.php?t=130932
    Yes, read all of this posts i think, ordered both, only thing is how do i raise the roof while the red light is flashing to change them? Or will it still raise?

RobbiZ4

Roof, sorry another one

Post by RobbiZ4 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:50 pm

The red LED only indicates, that the roof is not completely locked (opened or closed). It's not a fault indicator.
    E89 Roof Maintenance
    viewtopic.php?t=130932

RobbiZ4

Roof, sorry another one

Post by RobbiZ4 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:55 pm

Jey wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:05 pm yes, thank you, first thing i changed 16.50 from the local BMW. read the horror stories on here and called straight away, the originals have a 21 date but thought why not..
    The datecode is YYWW, 1650 is from end of 2016.
    New relays may have elder production dates, that doesn't matter. Relevant is only the number of roof cycles done with it, nothing else. But there is no counter anywhere around, instead we have to replace it cyclic.
    E89 Roof Maintenance
    viewtopic.php?t=130932

Jey

Roof, sorry another one

Post by Jey » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:39 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:55 pm
    Jey wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:05 pm yes, thank you, first thing i changed 16.50 from the local BMW. read the horror stories on here and called straight away, the originals have a 21 date but thought why not..
    The datecode is YYWW, 1650 is from end of 2016.
    New relays may have elder production dates, that doesn't matter. Relevant is only the number of roof cycles done with it, nothing else. But there is no counter anywhere around, instead we have to replace it cyclic.
    Sorry, those numbers were the price each, date was 21

Jey

Roof, sorry another one

Post by Jey » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:45 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:50 pm The red LED only indicates, that the roof is not completely locked (opened or closed). It's not a fault indicator.
    Well thanks for that, assume thats why it locks the boot and disable the windows until i stop and re stat the car (brief window of opportunity) Every day is a learning day and while i should be peeved that BMW don't seem to have learned from the e85 issues, non of this is too much of a hassle so I'm just gonna enjoy sorting these issues out.

Have to say, i was unsure wether id like this as i regret getting rid of my last e85 3.0, it was a Fantastic car and wondered if the 25 e89 could be better. It certainly is as good...time will tell if its better..

Thanks again

Jey

Roof, sorry another one

Post by Jey » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:35 pm

Progress update for those interested.

1 Top boot seal. I removed this, the sealant had disintegrated and both ends showed signs of water ingress. Resealed the entire length after cleaning it up, and sealed both ends too. Once screwed back down, a little gentle squeeze pushed some sealant out along the seal line - all good.
    2 Rear Light units. Bought two replacement seals, turns out both had been fitted without pulling them through to the inside of the boot, Duh... Anyway, one was fine once fitted correctly. I replaced one as it looked ragged.
    3 Removed the motor foam, cleaned it, placed it in plastic bags, used water/heat proof shielding inside and refitted. I will replace this in the coming weeks as it was in poor condition.

The drives side electrics its in a water proof styrene box so all dry - good news as id already had to refit the top corner seal as this was badly fitted too and was most likely allowing water ingress.

Passenger side panel, below the cubby box had a little water in there (few drips). Don't know if it was from the light seal or possibly the qtr panel vents although these have already been changed at bmw under recall.

Checked following a downpour later that day and all seemed dry...Fingers crossed

red light is still flashing intermittently, next job is to replace the switches on the rams when the screws arrive.

One point to note, i had the rear deck propped while i removed the lenses, when finished the roof woudl not go back up fully, stopping with the deck down and roof panels on top of each other, no further movement. I put the roof down and left it for an hour, it then went up ok. Carly showed spurious errors relating to roof speed and these cleared ok. The 690 code has now gone but the red light is still flashing so the code is not always present as others have stated.

Ill update again once the switches are replaced, hopefully that will be an end to the roof issues and i can then crack on and replace the discs and pads and sort out an oil/filter change.

RobbiZ4

Roof, sorry another one

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:14 pm

Thanks for this complete update.

The often wrong mounted seals of the light clusters mostly are the reason for water ingress.

And please have a look at the number of nuts on each backlight. Replaced ones have only 2 instead of 3 of the initial ones. In that case, the 3rd hole in the body has to be sealed as well from the outside BEFORE mounting the backlight cluster!

A round seal ( 07147162569 protection foil) for the 3rd drill hole is available from BMW.

I've added this topic as additional task no. 6) into my maintenance recommendation thread:
    viewtopic.php?p=1861524#p1861524
    Last edited by RobbiZ4 on Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    E89 Roof Maintenance
    viewtopic.php?t=130932

Jey

Roof, sorry another one

Post by Jey » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:34 pm

Thanks Robbie, good to know. Ive only changed / fixed the lights, both have 3 bolts so are original and still good. SO nothing else for me to do on thes i assume (other than cutting off the additional lug on the replacement (newer) seals?