Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ac, rear window heater, heater blower not working after a dead battery

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
mrlightyear

Post by mrlightyear » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:05 pm

Discovered today that my ac, rear window heater and the blower fan are not working (blower won’t turn up high). Hadn’t driven the car for few weeks and it needed a jump start to get it going. Read somewhere about transport mode..?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:21 pm

That sounds just like "Transport Mode". It's supposed to be deleted during the PDI but often just got disabled.

My understanding is you need to find someone with ISTA or INPA software to get rid of it, so it might be worth saying where you are as there may be someone local to you who can help.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

mrlightyear

Post by mrlightyear » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:00 am

I’m up in Aberdeen.

Came across a YouTube video of a guy “deleting” the transport mode with his laptop and some software. Got the impression it was a mode to try to preserve the battery if it the voltage drops too low - seems odd however to disable these function as they’d be off if the car was off anyway…?

But when he deletes it is he actually resetting this transport mode or actually removing it all together permanently? Wouldn’t want to remove it if it actually serves a useful function, saying that I still needed to jump start it. ..

This isnt something that can be done with OBD device?

colb

Post by colb » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:04 pm

You are quite correct Transport Mode is activated when the battery becomes depleted, it shuts off the blower speeds, heated rear screen and AC in order to conserve what power remains in the battery for starting the car. It should have been deleted during PDI at the dealers when they sold the car but they don't do it. Probably a money making scam as they would charge a diagnostic fee and just reset it to Normal mode to the less knowledgable owners.
With the correct software its very simple to reset it, I use BMW Scanner 1.4 to reest Transport mode, itr lives under the Aircon menu, always best to clear any codes it may have set whilst doing the reset as well. As soon as its reset you will hear the aircon fans spring to life as well as the heated rear screen being restored. BMW Scanner is cheap to obtain and set up on an old laptop running Windows 7 or XP.
I do have a Creator 310+ handheld scanner that shows Transport Mode in its menu but the function dosn't work when selected, may become functional on future software updates, think its on version 12.1 at the moment, it was shipped when new with version 11.9.
BMW Scanner 1.4 can be sourced on ebay for little outlay, its really useful and simple to use.
Have reset a few Z4's for members near me, shame you are so far away coud have done yours.
As to deleting Transport mode following the info on here and Youtube have tried delting it using NCS Expert, Winkpf and Dis which are the software in the BMW INPA packages also on ebay. Not had any success in deleting it using any of these so far.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url