Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Broken or Worn OEM Springs

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
spitfun

Post by spitfun » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:18 pm

I am in the process of replacing all my springs. While none of them were actually broken like I have heard happens with the OEM's ,I believe all of mine had weakened over time. I think this is caused by the EDC shocks,struts wearing out or leaking prematurely and putting too much strain on the springs,thoughts?
2012 Z4 Sdrive35i M Sport manual

wanderer

Post by wanderer » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:16 pm

Why do you believe they have "weakened over time"?
Any evidence for that?

I have had 3 BMW's, 1 Saab, 1 Ford, 1 Subaru, 2 Volvo's over the years.
Only the Saab had a spring issue last year at 14 years old and 40, 000 miles.

Why replace all? In that case, why not replace the dampers as well?

My 2010 is still going well with 60,000 miles.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:08 pm

FWIW on my 35is at 50k miles, August 2022 , 2011 MY, the rear springs were utterly shot..what came first the shagged dampers or soft springs ? Not sure but both dampers and springs were shot..front dampers were leaking, springs had softened but no where near as bad as the rears..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:46 pm

The springs support the weight of the car. The dampers/struts etc just stop the spring bouncing uncontrollably. Knackered dampers will not bother the spring.
Springs can loose some of their strength over time but it’s much more common these days for bits of them to snap off. That’s not unique to BMW by the way, just walk along any major road you’ll see bits of broken spring everywhere.

spitfun

Post by spitfun » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:00 am

I did replace the front dampers as they were leaking and shot ( very easy to push in and NEVER came back out),the rears seem ok and are not leaking-going to keep an eye on them. The springs are known to weaken or break after as little as 40k miles,just do a search on here to satisfy your curiosity.
2012 Z4 Sdrive35i M Sport manual