Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suspension refresh advice - AUTODOC sale ending today!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
mrlightyear

Post by mrlightyear » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:16 pm

Looking for advice on a suspension refresh. Nothing broken with the current suspension perhaps just feeling a bit tired at 67k

Don’t think I really want to stiffen up the suspension anything more than stock. But would like to perhaps lower it 10mm.

Also thinking the car could do with some spacers as well for the wheels.

There’s a sale in AUTODOC ending today! And thought maybe the time to buy while the sale is on.

Auto docs links below - 2 option presented when entering the car reg make model etc.

Hey, check out EIBACH Suspension Kit, coil springs / shock absorbers in the AUTODOC app https://m.autodoc.co.uk/eibach/1931024

Hey, check out H&R Suspension Kit, coil springs / shock absorbers in the AUTODOC app https://m.autodoc.co.uk/h-and-r/15744631

Appreciate any help as always!

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:48 pm

If all you want is standard-ish suspension with a modest drop then go for an Eibach pro spring kit, and a set of either Sachs Or Bilstein B4 shocks. I’d replace the top mounts too, go with Lemforder for the rears as the Meyle ones can knock.
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

plenty

Post by plenty » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:54 pm

Autodoc, like DFS, have a sale on every day.

"Discounts" range from 20% to 43%. Anything above 35% may be considered a "good" discount. Slightly better discounts are available via their app compared with website.

Other than struts, springs and top mounts, I'd consider a "Level 1" refresh to consist of: front arms, lollipop bushes, rear trailing-arm bushes.

"Level 2" adds anti-roll bar bushes and drop links, and the two bushes either side that fix the hubs to the rear trailing arms (worth upgrading to the ball joints used on the Z4M and M3 as these aren't expensive).

"Level 3" adds the inner bush that fixes the rear control arm to the subframe, subframe bushes and diff bushes.

Go for Lemforder, Meyle HD or TRW.

mrlightyear

Post by mrlightyear » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:25 pm

True-Blue wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:48 pm If all you want is standard-ish suspension with a modest drop then go for an Eibach pro spring kit, and a set of either Sachs Or Bilstein B4 shocks. I’d replace the top mounts too, go with Lemforder for the rears as the Meyle ones can knock.
Is there much advantage of going with high spec suspension.

I’m open to suggestions.

Guess my concern is going with stiffer lowered suspension it will ruin the ride comfort?

mrlightyear

Post by mrlightyear » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:33 pm

Guess I’m also asking what can be done with after market suspensions, obviously want the best of both worlds, handling & comfort - my understanding is can’t get both. And I’m not really keen on any worse comfort.

Cars on original shocks and springs , as far as I’m aware, at 67k.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:46 pm

I'll be honest, if you just want a refresh then check your springs. If not broken retain them.
New OEM Sachs dampers front & rear, with new bump stops, dust covers, Lemforder top mounts.
That'll make a big difference. Front ARB bushes and drop links are so easy you may as well do them at 'Level 1'.
Rears are a bit more of a pain though.
With this you'll gain comfort as your old dampers won't be doing much by now, but also keep standard ride height and won't stiffen anything up too much.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

BenM

Post by BenM » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:19 pm

I have recently done Level 2 on my 53k mile Z4C Sport with Bilstein B4 dampers, Suplex springs and a mixture of Lemforder and Meyle mounts and bushes as advised by this forum. The car now drives like it's brand new. I still need to get the alignment done, but even without it's done wonders for the ride and comfort. I wanted to prioritise comfort, but the handling is also much improved simply due to the compliant bits being renewed.
2009 Z4C