Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Corrosion to roof panels on E89

N4LLY

Post by N4LLY » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:25 pm

biZ4rreMids wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:41 pm
biZ4rreMids wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:42 pm
biZ4rreMids wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:09 pm Not heard from Sytner so visited again today and asked to see the warranty / claims manager. He’s taken photos and paint depth measurements, confirmed that the paint is original and will discuss with the bodyshop manager. Should hear something in the next couple of weeks. :zzzz:
Update Tuesday 1/11/2022 - Sytner called and agreed to carry out works to rectify, car booked in for 14/11/2022.

One happy Z4 owner.
All works complete - roof panel back to bare metal and full re spray. Looks great.
Result :thumbsup:

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

BMWZ42023

Post by BMWZ42023 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:10 pm

Hi folks.

I got my car the end of May 2023 and the stone chips on the front bumper were starting to bother me. Fast forward to 22nd Feb 24 I got the front bumper resprayed at an independent. I said to the guy it was a good job and I'll be back to get that rust bubbling sorted out. He pointed out that the affected panels are aluminium and might be covered under warranty. Some googling later and thankfully I see I'm not alone. I have a bit like most of you on the top roof panel at the corner but also on the bonnet, drivers side corner. Going to get my local BMW dearler tomorrow (4th March) to get it checked out. You'll see the pics I took one on the 24th Feb but after washing the car today 3rd March the rotten bit is disintegrating (new white bit). I'll include a pic of the bonnet too.

Registration date of vehicle: 03/2017 Built date 08/2016
Vehicle external colour: Black Sapphire metallic
Designation number of vehicle (23i, 35i etc): 20i
Vehicle generally kept under cover or outside: Allways outside in my ownership
Name of dealer claim lodged with: Will be John Clark Bmw Dundee. Now with John Clark BMW Aberdeen
Outcome of claim and reasons given if claim rejected: Dont know yet. Now waiting.

*Update* I phoned the garage "John Clark Bmw Dundee" on the 4th March and was told I'll get an email but after waiting a week and half I just went in with the car today 13th March. Spoke to someone who didn't know I've already been in contact but managed to get me booked in for the 20th March to get it checked out along with a vehicle health check. Will take around 3 hours and then the claim will get submitted for warranty approval.

*Update* Well my fears have been realized. I got a fight on my hands. So today 20th March I told the front house staff that the roof panel white bit is not a stone chip and that happend while washing the car and to make sure the assessor knew that. Waited about 25mins and got called over. "I have a video to show you". Sat down and was showen the video with sound. It was the assessor explaining the complaint, showing the vin on the windscreen then the miles on the dash. Moving on to show the top roof panel and saying that you can see there is a stone chip and the has caused damage and is not covered under warranty. He took a paint gauge and showed that it was the original paint. Then went on the bonnet and said there is a chip that has penetrated externally and is also not covered under. So I have a calm rant but the front house staff can only do so much. I then go home and have a right good close look at the bonnet as I knew there was no chip or anything externally and right enough there is nothing. However after putting my head inside the bonnet I did see a line of colored rust that I will also claim for (see new pic added). I was still angry and thought I need to speak to the assessor directly, show him the roof panel pic from the 24th Feb to show the damage predates that "stone chip". So I went back the garage but ended up getting the service manager. Even after showing him the 24th Feb pic he was going with what the assessor had said. Had more of a chat with him and I've come to the conclusion he dosen't want to go against his colleague, they don't see many Z4's and don't do much paint work in general so they not seen this knid of problem before, there is some internal bureaucracy with BMW who can later on take back the money they coverd for the repair. The service manager recommended I go to another BMW garage for an second opinion.
Attachments
20240320_142410.jpg
20240320_142410.jpg (80.71 KiB) Viewed 388 times
20240303_160454.jpg
20240303_160454.jpg (82.69 KiB) Viewed 502 times
20240303_160426.jpg
20240303_160426.jpg (84.91 KiB) Viewed 502 times
20240224_140434.jpg
20240224_140434.jpg (100.12 KiB) Viewed 502 times
Last edited by BMWZ42023 on Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BMWZ42023

Post by BMWZ42023 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:24 pm

*Update* Today 21st March I'm booked in to have the paint defects assessed at John Clark BMW Aberdeen on Tuesday 26th 12pm.

Was in to John Clark BMW Aberdeen today 26th March 24. I came in a little more prepared. I had painted off all the pics I took and pointing out the roof panel was already bubbling before a bit of paint came off while washing the car. Also printed off page 1&2 of this thread as well as the thread titled "Bubbling paint on roof". Told the front house staff they are sitting on the passager side seat for the assessor to look at. I wasn't going to be having "that's stone chip damage" nonsense again. About 55mins later I got a text saying the car was ready and about 15mins later a text with a link to my vehicle health report. See link for screen record of report > https://youtu.be/-srPmuEQdCo <. About 20mins after that I got called over and was told all information has been collected to send for warranty claim. I should hear back within 2 weeks what the outcome will be. Getting back in the car I noted they have taken all of my print outs. So I'm hopeful they are taking it seriously and not so dismissive as John Clark BMW Dundee.

P.S Sorry just noitced I didn't set the link video to public. You should see it now.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:24 pm

BMWZ42023 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:24 pm *Update* Today 21st March I'm booked in to have the paint defects assessed at John Clark BMW Aberdeen on Tuesday 26th 12pm.

Was in to John Clark BMW Aberdeen today 26th March 24. I came in a little more prepared. I had painted off all the pics I took and pointing out the roof panel was already bubbling before a bit of paint came off while washing the car. Also printed off page 1&2 of this thread as well as the thread titled "Bubbling paint on roof". Told the front house staff they are sitting on the passager side seat for the assessor to look at. I wasn't going to be having "that's stone chip damage" nonsense again. About 55mins later I got a text saying the car was ready and about 15mins later a text with a link to my vehicle health report. See link for screen record of report > https://youtu.be/-srPmuEQdCo <. About 20mins after that I got called over and was told all information has been collected to send for warranty claim. I should hear back within 2 weeks what the outcome will be. Getting back in the car I noted they have taken all of my print outs. So I'm hopeful they are taking it seriously and not so dismissive as John Clark BMW Dundee.

P.S Sorry just noitced I didn't set the link video to public. You should see it now.
If this thread helps you get it covered under the '12 year warranty' then I am more than happy.
The whole point of this thread was to give people a bit more information to show dealers (whose first reaction generally is to dismiss) that it is not uncommon on these cars and should be covered.

Please update the thread when you hear more. Oh and welcome BTW. :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

BMWZ42023

Post by BMWZ42023 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:43 pm

Pondrew your organisation and forward thinking with creating this thread has definitely helped me because...... Had a call from John Clark Aberdeen today to confirm the both affected top roof panel and bonnet have been approved for a respray. It's bookied in for the 6th May and will be around 2 weeks. This is due it being done in two stages. Stage one is the bonnet going off the there bodyshop 1 mile away then the top roof panel going off to get done. I'll get a courtesy car while the work is carried out too.

I think printing off this thread and another thread helped alot this time. Once the work is done I'll go back to John Clark Dundee to tell them the Aberdeen branch got it done no problem and to be more open minded that it's a manufacturing issue.